1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best virtual drums.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by gobi_grey, Jan 2, 2021.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

What are the best virtual drum machine plugins? I cant seem to find decent info on YouTube. The most realistic sounding drum softwear/plugin.
    Thanks.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

EZDrummer2 solved all of my issues. Never needed to seek anything else since. Requires a midi input device.

Apothecarius likes this.
  3. no doz

no doz TDPRI Member

I know lots of musicians and engineers who love Superior Drummer, Slate, Addictive, etc.

My personal favorite method is to craft all of my MIDI using stock kits within Logic, and then using that MIDI to trigger samples that I have saved from different recording sessions I've done / sample libraries I've downloaded. It gives me great results and is really cost effective compared to the other options out there.

Mjea80 likes this.
  4. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

Jamstix 4
    In all honesty, it's the only one I've got experience with. I can't comment on the sounds - they work for me - BUT it's raison d'etre is that it PLAYS like a real human drummer. You give it as much or little info as you want and it will come up with patterns.
    It's coded by a guy who plays drums....
    I'm not a drummer. I have no patience for programming drums. I don't like robotic sounding drums. It fits the bill for me. If you don't like the sounds, it can trigger its competitors samples, apparently.
    On the other hand, if you DO want robotic, electronic, 80s sounding drums, forget plugins. Get on ebay and get a Boss DR550.
    I still have mine from the early 90s. Got it out recently, connected up to my PC, fed a MIDI pattern through... Beats a plugin sim, all day long for THAT sound, and there's a certain sense of satisfaction doing it 'old school' ish.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Steve Slate and Jamstix I use with midi data from our drummer.. our lockdown method.

Are you looking for one that makes and sequences patterns or just a sound module?

The logic and garageband drummers are well integrated in the DAW on Mac.

6. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Another vote for EZ Drummer by Toontrack, easy to use and to alter, as long as you are fully versed in MIDI.

naveed211 likes this.
  7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For sound, the big ones are Slate, Superior Drummer, and BFD3.

8. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

I'm a non drumming, hack guitarist, recording hobbyist and I love EZD2! Great to be able to tap out an idea, have it spit out matches and has templates for songs. I don't like their expansion pack model but I can do a ton with just the two initial packs. Definitely one of the best bits of software I own.

M

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  9. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Addictive Drums 2 looks to be pretty good, a little pricey and looks like it will be a challenge to learn but might be worth it since I dont have a kit to sample. I'd probably just play it if I had a kit.

this_grackle likes this.
  10. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I dont know anything about midi other than it's the funny looking input/output that I've never used.

11. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

For some sounds, I use Slate...for some Superior 3...for some the drum sound from Halion...

But: prefer to input them from a keyboard, convert to audio as soon as possible, and treat like mic’d up kits.

12. Ghostdriver

The MIDI aspect of it would only be used if you want to edit the patterns, i.e with a keyboard, you can use EZ Drummer on its own and be completely satisfied !

codamedia likes this.
  13. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I've used EZD since it came out and prefer to drag-'n'-drop pattern & fill regions into my drum track, rather than using the little in-app window they supply. Editing and tweaking are easy as pie in the piano roll using a USB keyboard controller. Never used the MIDI in/out in over the course of about 100 finished projects.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  14. Ghostdriver

MIDI just means musical instrument digital interface, like a keyboard which can be connected by USB, not necessarily using a specific MIDI in/out connection.

15. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I've been watching a ton of videos on different drum software. I think I'm sold on Superior Drummer. It's really expensive but I think it'll be worth it.
    I can't just use pre designed drum fills or anything like that. I have to be able to control and program every beat and fill and it's gotta sound real. Superior Drummer seems to be what I'm looking for. A little overkill but I gotta have the realistic sounding drums that I can alter to fit the song exactly how I want them. Plus I think it'll be endless fun just messing around with it so in the long run, the entertainment value added to the value of undetectable "fake drums" will make it worth while.
    My only hesitation is that for the price of the software I could buy a decent kit and just use that but then I'm limited to where I can set up the drums and my playing ability.

Question: How difficult would it be to play real drums and tweak them with the DAW so that they sound really good? Meaning, moving "off beats" to the correct spot, adding in samples from my kit in places where I might have missed a fill?

16. loudboy

loudboy TDPRI Member

Slate SSD 5 Free is pretty amazing. I did a whole record this summer using it, and had no problems getting what I needed.

They were running a sale on the full 5.5 version at $59, so I upgraded - hard to imagine not being able to get anything you'd want with the drums included in that, along with the ability to also use external samples, of which there are literally thousands for free, online.

gobi_grey likes this.
  17. Guitarteach

If you can play... In lockdown our drummer is using a Roland eKit. It is cheap and compact and sounds great and he can use midi to send me tracks and trigger modules like Slate and Jamstix for great sounds.

18. Guitarteach

We are doing this all the time... using a roland vDrums kit - cheapest one.

my drummer records into his daw (or bandlab) at home using midi... he edits the midi track (a click in the DAW) and just moves the notes where he wants.

Its very quick to learn.

If you can play to a click, it gets even easier as you can see the grid and use quantise - a snap to grid function, to bring hits to time.

He sends me a tidied up midifile and I remix with various kits.

We are really skilling up in lock down while we can’t gig and I have worked on my percussion and keyboard skills too with the spare time.

swervinbob likes this.
  19. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

Gobi, sampled drums are now so good and with a little enthusiasm for editing patterns you can achieve amazing results.
    Are you wanting to find something resembling a kit you can whack, like Roland or Alesis v-drums, or versatile software for editing pre-baked patterns?

20. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Just remember, if you go with Superior Drummer 3, make sure you have the hard drive space. It’s about 250 GB. I bought The Rock Foundry expansion (Bob Rock did the recording) which I think is another 60 GB. After doing a lot of mixing when I got it, now I mainly just put The Rock Foundry on default and choose the 1967 Ludwig kit. I then either use a gentle buss compression or crush it a little with the UAD Fatso. I then put some tape saturation. Kinda going for the drier, 90’s rock drum sound.

gobi_grey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.