1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best vehicle for a cross country road trip?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CharlieO, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Dare to be different. Make the trip in a Komatsu 960E-1.

rangercaster and CharlieO like this.
  2. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Ford Explorer (one of the new ST's would be fun, if available)

Great view, very comfortable, and lots of room... lots of cup holders too ;) You can run into a wide variety of weather travelling cross-country, so being in a big vehicle with a great view is important.

Also, you can run an E85 blend to save money (though your MPG will also suffer ... not sure where the break-even point is).

3. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

CX9 has been a great purchase. Have Locksmith Company & running the big vans at 12 mpg was not so good. Get 25 mpg on Highways & Average 22. Thing has paid for itself many times over in making car keys & hauling he gear back n forth for the studio sessions.

This journey has solidified to get an RV & go see the family more often not having to chase hotels & Flights.

Enjoy your trip. It seems to re energize & put the important things back in perspective with the driving time

bayou load 22.jpg

CharlieO likes this.
  4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Subaru. Find a 10 y/o Forester & have at it. Plenty of room for stuff, great economy, and they run forever as long as you change the oil. And, if the unspeakable happens & you break down, parts are a dime a dozen with a nationwide supply of qualified techs to install them.

CharlieO likes this.
  5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I think this great little suggestion got missed among all the luxury ride pics.

Just trying to help the cause. :cool:

rangercaster likes this.
  6. Whatizitman

But seriously.... A couple of years ago I did a 5000 mile road trip in my 2015 Accord, four passengers, loaded with luggage, etc... And several shorter ones. It would have been nice to have something bigger and/or AWD/4wd. But it has done what I needed it to, is very comfortable to drive long distances in, and gets great gas mileage.

Of course we didn't sleep in it. But that's ok. The older I get the less the car sleep/overland thing is appealing to me. Hotel camping, baby.

I have 88k miles on it now, and it drives like I just drove it off the lot. Absolutely no mechanical issues to speak of.

Checked KBB and such the other day out of curiosity. It's worth around $9k-11k sale/trade. Maybe not the best for me, should I need to sell or trade. But if I was in the market for a decent used commuter/family/trip car, an Accord would be a no-brainer. :)

7. Whatizitman

Because the ratio of car drivers and passengers to motorcyclists is very high, perhaps?

:rolleyes:

Anyway.... Sometimes safety and comfort overrides need for excitement. And that's... ok. Laws of physics don't change just because something is fun or feels good.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    CharlieO likes this.
  8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

truck.1.jpeg

rangercaster likes this.
  9. DDickens

DDickens TDPRI Member

Good to sell in the PNW as well.

Old Deaf Roadie and CharlieO like this.
  10. Whatizitman

[​IMG]

jfgesquire likes this.
  11. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No, I was responding to your harsh slap down of the CrossTour which I like very much. The Market seems to have sided with your point of view, though.
    It’s all good.
    Great story, by the way, although the morals of tax avoidance are another issue.
    A very close friend of mine, at 70, has just moved to Portugal and purchased a home there. He’s very happy there.

12. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

Where do you live and do you do 99% of your own maintenance?

I live on a dirt road connected to a dirt road with a dirt drive way in the New York mountains and 20 miles from anywhere worth going. My family had a rule. You want to drive you learn to do the maintenance. My father ran a successful garage for 15 years, so I had a good in house teacher. Ever seen what 20 years of salt and stones will do to the underside of your car. It looks like someone took a machine gun to your exhaust and brake lines. Rubber brake line dry rots and break from the motion of the suspension and steering, and that stupid tin crap they put on at the factory is never going to last when its is constantly exposed to the moisture, stone throw from the tires, and the salt that they put on the roads. That salt-cinders stuff will rust out your car in less than a year.

So no, nobody is trying to kill me except the car companies that cut corners wherever they can and mother nature.

I do not drink and I never will. My family has a history of dying before we reach 35. I have no desire to join that crowd. when your dad and his brothers are the oldest living generation in your entire blood line you tend to be very careful about life choices.

Also when we re-do the brake lines we use the copper-zinc EZ-bend rust and corrosion proof line. Its what they use on planes and its much easier to work with. It's also darn near bullet proof. So if you want homemade sausage gravy over home fries for breakfast we will take my station wagon.

13. GuitarsBuicks

AMEN BROTHER!! I had to learn to do my own maintenance from me father and my moms father. I wish they would just use stainless or that copper-zinc EZ-bend stuff.

14. GuitarsBuicks

CannonBall Run 2020!

15. GuitarsBuicks

Unless god forbid you have to replace the sparkplugs in the boxer motor. Either have to pull the engin or drill through the frame. My uncle had one. Thats when we found out that its nearly impossible to change the plugs on the side of the road.

16. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

Gotta throw in a shoutout for the out of production Honda Element; 4 cylinder engine isn't too efficient (25 mpg highway), but super reliable and hungry for high mileage.

If you take the back seats out and you're under 6 feet, you can sleep in the back with the back clamshell door closed. With the tailgate down and a mosquito bar over the opening, it'll accommodate up to probably 6'6"; that's the most user friendly configuration regardless of size.

You can tie up a tarp over the back for a kitchen as well. I've car camped mine like that and it's very comfortable, and you can break camp in 10 minutes or so. A roof rack/basket will accommodate even more gear room and a full size spare if you feel the need. It's the easiest, cheapest out of the box overlanding setup out there, and abundant on the used market.

The only downside is ground clearance on sloppy forest roads, and lack of true four-wheel drive (but a hydraulic 'Realtime 4WD' system transfers power to the back wheels if the front wheels lose traction, and works ok in the snow and moderate sloppy conditions). I have to give mine up to my soon to be teen driver, and will miss it as a daily driver, but it'll still be in the driveway waiting for me.

17. GuitarsBuicks

Why give up your car? Just go and help them buy a cheap full size car like a buick park avenue or LeSabre, or something along those lines. They are big, cheap, reliable, and very, very safe. let them work over the summer and they will probably be able to pay for it. you can get a decent one for just over $1,000 and a near mint one for under $4000. At least the car is made out of thick solid sheet metal. My dad and brother got in a major accident in a LeSabre. It would have killed them if they had been in something smaller and less formidable. It still ran too like a top. The biggest problem was that the accident bent the 3- inch steel block tube subframe totaling the transmission and steering when the guy hit them at 70+mph. They weren't even bruised although the eggs and other groceries in the trunk were smashed.

18. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

My wants and needs are admittedly different; I've been driving the Element for close to 10 years and would like something new, but it's got a lot of life left in it, and as I mentioned, they aren't made anymore, so I'm reluctant to trade it in. To the original point, it's a great overlanding vehicle if you're on fairly tame terrain.

If only the back came off like a Bronco, it'd be the ultimate beach wagon. I've seen some pretty wild mods for the Element, but that would require a roll bar and some pretty extensive fabrication.

Good point about getting an old school tank of a car for a teenager, although you lose some of the modern safety features like 3 side air bags, etc.

19. GuitarsBuicks

The 1997-2005 era buicks, oldmobiles, and ponitacs have those I believe. Although I could be wrong, and have no desire to find out the hard way if I'm right or wrong. They also have those locking seat belts. The ones that lock if you pull to fast or set on the brakes to hard. Most also feature padded surfaces. Unlike some of the toyotas my friends at college drive. The engines run forever if you take care of them, 150000 miles is just getting started.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.