1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best vehicle for a cross country road trip?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CharlieO, Sep 11, 2020.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We use Mrs' Kia minivan when we travel together...but we have to stop every hour and walk around or it cramps me up. I prefer to travel in my F250 ('03)...it is the only vehicle I can sit in comfortably for two-three hours now that I am, ahem, more seasoned and distinguished looking.

If you have the time and means...try them out just like you would a guitar before a commit. And, I'll admit I didn't read all of the posts, but given your plans I'd really look for a Class C (and may do that myself when my F250 sucks its last fuel/air mix ;)).

CharlieO likes this.
  2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

One that is mechanically and functionally sound.

You didn't mention what route you'd be taking, but bear in mind that there are stretches where you can drive for hours and not see another vehicle. If you break down or run out of gas, you may be there awhile! :eek:

CharlieO likes this.
  3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Subaru Forester. XT model for added fun!

I have 2. Reliable on all 4 Midwestern seasons.

4. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

I'll do you one better!

The don't build them like this anymore...and I really wish they would.

[​IMG]

94-96 Chevy Caprice Classic Wagon: Corvette LT1 350ci backed by a corvette turbo400 four speed auto. 0-60 in about 4 seconds flat with about 400+ horsepower, and 28+mph from a small block V8 in a 4000 lbs car. Really you can't beat that power to gas to weight ratio. There is also the added bonus of being Chevy's top of the line luxury Station Wagon/Car line at the time. Plus the fact that its a Chevy which are usually pretty hard to kill with proper maintenance, and can be had for well under $10,000 in pristine condition. Also the big 235-75-R15 tires make the ride incredibly smooth with sports car like cornering. With a payload capacity of approximately 1000 lbs or 8 people, you really can't go wrong. you can actually get an entire 4 piece band in here and still have room a large cooler and clothes for a week four at least four people if you pack smart. Not to mention road side repairs are usually relatively easy for a half way decent shade tree mechanic with proper tools. It also features a full frame of pickup truck grade steel underneath to keep you and your passengers safer than any car with a uni-body. (I.E. not a full frame underneath, ergo 90% of cars since 1996)

The original paper work and statistics will say that it a slow 8 second 0-60...owning one I can tell you that that is a lie to keep the insurance down, as well as saying that they are only good for 260 horsepower, It may be true, but I honestly don't believe it. Way too much power to only be 260 mph.

It also features a unique anti-lock brake system, in that if the brake line goes, there is a double reservoir, so if it blows in the back you will have front brakes and vise-a-versa. no modern vehicle has that feature. Trust me I have checked.

Conclusion: A fun, safe, comfortable, roomy car that will keep you safe and comfortable, has more than enough teeth to get you in serious trouble with the law, and outrun and out power most cars on the road at least those that are not sports cars. I'm pretty sure there's a reason Chevy got the nation wide police contract from 1983-1996. Just get out on the highway in one and mash the pedal, I Guarantee you will fall in love. I mean come on its a 20 year old car that can leave rubber from the factory on "normal" street truck tires.

p.s. the picture is not mine. Mine is a different color.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  5. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

I've seen a lot more dead bodies from car accidents.

6. GuitarsBuicks

withdrawn

7. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Jeep Cherokee.

A Utilitarian vehicle.

Great on the Interstate and off road, too.

And, you can sleep in the back.

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Couple years ago I found myself with a two weeks off right before Christmas. It was well below zero here with no warm up in sight so I decided to go to the beach. Beaches in northern Minnesota that time are frozen over so I Googled for the warmest beaches in the continental US and took off for Key West.
    Drove my 01 BMW 525i wagon pretty nice car for a trip but of course it's a bit rough riding due to the suspension and low profile tires, but not real bad. Slept a couple nights in the driver's seat with it reclined but could've just slept in the back. With the seat folded there's enough room for two people to lay down back there. (don't ask how I know)
    The trip was a bust. I was hoping to find a bunch of single woman, with low moral standards on vacation but they'd just had that hurricane so the hotels were full of locals that FIMA relocated. Probably should've done a little more Googling before I left. :)

CharlieO likes this.
  9. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ohh Kay.

10. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Headed to FL for a funeral in a few..CX9 is all loaded up with padding & blankets. Yeti is stocked. We do this quite often. I rest for a few when tired then drive again. When retiring soon, been looking for RV..will gut & make what we will need. Planning on seeing the kids often, now that they are spread out everywhere. Pull up ..plug in, def will have a laptop & usb interface & bring guitar. Seems to be a good way to still travel & go places but be mre in control of the environment..no lines..bookings airport layovers.ect. Just pack n go.

CharlieO likes this.
  11. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

1e2dca92fc721fadc2d8b13d1b350cfe.jpg This then:

BobbyZ, CharlieO, duzie and 2 others like this.
  12. GuitarsBuicks

These beauties have the heart and soul of a corvette (engine and Transmission) with the added benefit of plenty of room for stuff or to sleep in. Plus the 28+ milage

Got it covered! The NY State Troopers used to run the station wagon model factory stock back in the mid-90's

They used the car version of this in the second movie.

Eight foot truck bed with corner vent windows and a three way tailgate that opens from the inside. Just get a mattress and a sleeping bag and your're good to go.

No problem from the Caprice there. That's the top of second gear on the highway. 100+mph...no problem. They used this engines older cousin in NASCAR. the reason they didnt run this one is because you had to run a carburetor, you couldn't run cross-injection from corvettes in NASCAR...you still can't. The caprice will play hard and run harder all day long. Just make sure you get one with the 350 and the transmission cooler. It will be obvious if it has it, there will be a little box in front of the radiator with tubes going to it.

getbent likes this.
  13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

isn't this supposed to be in the 'how do you like your oates' thread?

boris bubbanov and Jlwctn like this.
  14. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

As always, the Bad Dog crowd amuses me with another automotive thread.

For a low budget option, I actually like this suggestion. Well cared for, these are reliable, comfortable and anywhere you go someone has experience working on something similar. Parts are common and plentiful across many models.

i will disagree on the comment on the brakes. All cars have had multi-circuit brakes for decades.

And please, whoever owns the pictured example.... For the love of...
    Turn those tires blackwall out! Shhesh!

But I dont think this resembles what the OP has in mind...

I'll keep following and grinning here.

15. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Another option. Although likely larger than you’d like. You pick them up in Miami and drop them off in Seattle.

https://www.escapecampervans.com/

Remember if you’re buying and then selling a car, you’ll have sales tax, title/registration fees etc. If a 20k car in Florida, that’d be $1,200 in sales tax if I’m not mistaken.

CharlieO likes this.
  16. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

The Turtle Expedition

Under the menu item "Vehicles", see how their rigs evolved, with thorough explanations.

I found it inspiring.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  17. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

If I can swing it, this’ll be my next road trip car...(it’s my dad’s):
    1BF117CB-13C8-4C80-AE92-64B575DC3451.jpeg

duzie, cenz and boredguy6060 like this.
  19. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

You guys think small.

I think:

Fully stocked tour bus. With driver.

20. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

The Pacific Railways El Capitan, a private car and close to the observation car.
    They will serve you meals or just a double Scotch ....neat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.