1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best value bass?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by thorton077, Mar 30, 2013.

1. thorton077

thorton077 Tele-Afflicted

My brother is thinking of taking up bass. I only know about guitars but he asked me for help. So I thought what better place than here? Anyways, does anyone have advice on the best basses for really cheap? Something playable with an okay sound that's good for a beginner.

2. J.Rodney

J.Rodney Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Watch Craigslist for bargins.Fender Jazz or Precision MIM would be a good place to start.

3. thorton077

thorton077 Tele-Afflicted

How are the squier p basses?

4. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

I see Squier P basses used for about $100.00 quite often. If you get one in good shape and set the action and intonation my experience has been they are pretty darned good instruments. The Squier 5 strings are cool too if you like 5's.

5. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Check out talkbass.com. Lots of raves about the sx. Also the regular answer of squier.

6. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

"thinking of taking up bass" makes me think Squier P bass or something from Rondomusic.com. Something under $200.

7. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

The SX basses from Rondo are actually pretty good. The Squier Classic Vibe P-Bass is super nice.

Tim

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My wife has a Gretsch G2210. I helped her pick it out. It seems a leap ahead of everything else under $250, but it is a 30" scale.

9. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

NOT Ibanez. Go for pretty much any squier model. Just make sure to play it before you buy. There are great ones, and there are horrific ones

10. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

I'd recommend the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar full size bass. It has both P and J bass pickups with concentric tone knobs, the pickups sound great and you can get any tone you want from it and because it has the thinner jazz bass neck its very easy to play and perfect for someone just starting out. The P bass neck is quite chunky in comparison and can be off putting for beginners.

I've had dozens of basses over the years but the Jag is now my only bass. The build quality is excellent. In the UK they can be had for around £250 and I don't think you can get a better bass for anywhere near that kind of money. They hold their value well so you won't lose out on resale if he decides its not for him, but it's of a high enough quality that he won't need to upgrade it if he really gets into playing. It's a bass that will last a lifetime.

11. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Actually yeah, that's a very good thing to keep in mind. My first bass was a Squier P and after a while I wanted a thinner neck that was easier to play. It wasn't until much later that I wanted to go back to the thicker P neck.

12. LarsOS

LarsOS Tele-Holic

I've heard good things about the SBMM basses.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like Schecters, bang for the buck.
    Nicely made, and the sound great.

14. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

The Squier "Standard" basses (not available new anymore) are already good basses you can have a lot of fun with! I now have $1000 basses - but I still like my Squier Std. Jazz Bass!

The Squier Vintage Modified and espcially the Classic Vives are very good!
    In the "cheap sector", the SX basses should surely be mentioned! Also "Richwood".

You may not play bass but if you play guitar, you should know when an instrument "feels good" and is worth the money.

Many Squier necks feels "sandy / wooden" when they are new! After a short time, this changes to a great "natural waxed" feeling!

15. stankepanck

stankepanck Tele-Holic

I disagree. Ive had a few Ibanez Soundgear basses and they are just as good of quality as most Squiers I've played.

16. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

The Ibanez I got stuck with fell apart. It just sucked in general. The "phat 2 eq" sounded like garbage, the neck wasn't stable in the slightest and the tuners stripped out.

The company can make a great guitar, and the higher end of their bass range is phenomenal, but the cheap ones are cheap.

17. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

I think that your experience was the exception to the rule. Been playing bass for 20 years, and I have played Ibanez basses from across the spectrum and have found the GS200 to be one of the best bang for the buck basses for guitar players taking up the bass due to the thin neck, solid tones, QC consistency and light weight.

That said, the Affiinity Squiers J and P basses can often be had used and are also worth consideration as a low priced beater bass that can still be used for gigs and recording demos.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

On chunky necks: why are they off-putting for beginners? Learning bass is on my to-do list. On guitar I like chunky necks and wide nuts (like 1 3/4"). I also play classical guitar which has a 2" nut. I'm wondering if this should influence a bass guitar choice? I've got me eye on the G&L Legacy L-2000 because if its 1 3/4" nut, but am I thinking straight?

[​IMG]

19. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

Your best bet is just to try them and see how they feel, I went from bass to guitar so the opposite of what you're doing.

The difference between the neck of a bass and even the chunkiest guitar neck will be pretty drastic. Measurements alone can be misleading, you really need to hold it to understand what they really mean. I If you're coming to it as a guitar player I would really recommend the slim neck of something like a jazz bass. You're going to be exercising muscles in your hands and fingers that you didn't even know you had! Playing with a slimmer neck will likely be a much more pleasant transition for you.

I've had P basses in the past and enjoyed them but if you're playing fast moving, complicated, jazzy or funky bass lines I'd always recommend getting a faster, slimmer neck. I'm so stuck in my ways now that I'm not sure I could cope with the heft of a P bass again. Obviously YMMV and many players swear by their P bass.

20. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i have a yamaha bass i got for 75 bucks that is a very decent instrument. these sell for about$180 new. it has P-J pickups. i don't know the model designation, just look at the beginner-type yamahas and find one for 180. if you can get one used for less than say 120, jump on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.