Best used telecaster model on a 500-600$ budget?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Focusbob, Oct 4, 2019.

1. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

What pickups?

:wormcanopened

2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

The blonde came with very vintage looking fiber flat-work Alnico 3 pickups. The neck was great right out of the box. The bridge was a little weak in the high end for me. I saved it for if I ever part with the guitar I can put it back to stock..

I found a dead ToneRider Hot Classic (also Alnico 3) on Reverb for really cheap and had it re-wound but reversed and re-polarized to north so that is was vintage correct. Not as loud at the same distance from the strings but much brighter.

This is Fender "dark" wiring... The switch is just bridge, just neck - with .05uF cap on the tone control, and just neck with fixed .1 uF cap. RWRP wasn't necessary.

I like it.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

3. jmbmusic

jmbmusic NEW MEMBER!

I've been looking at getting my first tele and as others in the thread have mentioned, it seems like the American Standards 2012 onward are good deals given the pickups, etc.

What should I expect one to cost? I've seen them on reverb and eBay between 800-1300 upward; I imagine condition plays a factor but seems like a big range. Found a nice natural 2016 on craigslist in "mint" condition but buyer wants 1300 for it.

Thanks!

4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Find a good deal on an older American Standard or Special and stick the nocasters in... Perfect!

5. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

Our local craigslist is full of flippers so the price of everything is sky high and nothing moves.

jfgesquire likes this.
  6. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Classic 50's are ground zero for Telecasters and will serve you well for years

Gary

BeatlesAreMyJam and Fretting out like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

The only problem with tokai is that the secret has been out for a while and the higher end models can be twice this guys budget although if you look you can find some mid line models once in a while for around 600

8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Squier Vintage Modified Thinline Telecasters are going for between $300-$350 barely used.
    Buy two because they're FUNKY FANTASTIC FOR JAZZ...with flatwounds tuned down a full step. :D

Gentleman...they (The Vintage Modified Thinlines) are going to change everyone's thinking about "what a jazzbox is"...

I am totally blown away by these Ash Beauties.
    And They've got the Traditional Machine Heads with the slotted hole for the string end...funky pissah!!!:D
    Did I mention they're Indonesian with a 9.5" Radius and either medium jumbo or tall boy frets?!

These Guitars are so darn good You could write a song about them.
    In fact I've already got an Intro and Bridge....
    "Pissah Pissah Funky Pissah! ...Play it Steve."

9. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

There's a vintage white tst 60 on the bay now for $455 and a butterscotch Fernandes (Fugi Gen model) only bid up to $189. There's also an early '80s Tokai .38 Special (hadrtail Strat style w/neck +bridge switching and a deep V '56 style neck) for $299.

Any one would be a nice guitar for under $500. The Fernandes will probably sell in the mid $200s. That'd leave plenty of $$$ for upgrades and all the factory Fender bits bolt right on. ;)

Fretting out likes this.
  10. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I will repeat Baja, but that is just because it's my favorite for cost vs. value and feel.

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

In life, you’re allocated exactly one right place/right time scenario. One and done. That was yours. :D

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Except for collectables which are an entirely different realm, the best way to find that special guitar in any price range is to start the search with an open mind play as many of them as you can until you find the one that's magic in your hands. The synergy between the musician and instrument is much deeper than Baja, Am Standard, or anything else. My SG, Strat, and S&P acoustic were all like that. Each time, after playing for a few minutes, I knew that I found the one. Other folks' opinions may suggest what to consider, but the connection you make with the guitar is all that matters. One more thing. Don't think you have to find perfect. It took 10 years for me to get to know my Gretsch Anniversary. She's like my wife. I love her flaws and all.

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I found, that 1/8ths inch thick chromed yellow metal bridge plate (on Standard) sucked some life out of the Bridge pickup of the No-Caster set.

The Special is a better idea, but always remember, the fret wire on the American Special is simply huge - next to anything short of the wire on the Yngwie Strat, in the whole FMIC catalog.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  14. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

@boris bubbanov I was expecting u to talk up used HWY 1s. Pre jumbo frets HWY 1s that is...

;-)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.