Best uad plugs for classic country

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by drewblue, Oct 26, 2021.

1. drewblue

drewblue Tele-Meister

For classic/outlaw country Got a uad quad and new mac mini. probably gonna do the 6 plug deal here is what im thinking any suggestions.
    1api vision
    2 neve 88 series
    3.atr tape machine
    4Pultec
    5.Fairchild/la2a comp
    Emt 140 plate.

thanks

2. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

Hello, first thing I would do is go download the best compressor plug in ever made (IMO and many others). There is a free version, and a paid version. It's cheap (like 25 bucks), and amazing. It's called Fircomp

https://jonvaudio.com/fircomp2/

I barely ever reach for a uad comp anymore. It's that good.

What do I reach for? Definitely their reverbs. I have the plate, the akgbx25, and capital chambers. They are all great. Whichever flavor you prefer, go with that. The Ampex ATR is good, their best tape plug. The massenburg eq is good, for me more versatile than the pultec. I would demo the channel strips if you can. I don't use them much, and when I do it's the ssl (for the comp). However, it helps I have a vintage Neve so I don't really use that kind of thing much.

So, a good reverb, an eq, and tape. Now you have three left to play with. If you follow my advice and get the compressor listed above, you have clean and transparent compression covered. Perhaps demo a few of their color compressors. I liked the Fairchild last time I used it. The LA too, except the fircomp does that kind of thing even better. The SSL buss comp is cool, 1176 too. So, try a few and look for one with mojo.

As for the other 2, maybe a channel strip and another reverb (chambers and plate). Hope that helps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.