1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best tweed sounding pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DocJay, Jan 17, 2014.

1. DocJay

DocJay Tele-Meister

What do you guys think is the best "tweed in a box" pedal at the moment? I'm looking for something to use with a Champion 600 or THR. I live in an apartment otherwise I would just buy a nice tweed amp. :)

2. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I had good luck with "Blonde" Tech-21 character pedal with not only giving me Tweed tones but also with just about every other Fender amp tone you can conjure up.

3. DocJay

DocJay Tele-Meister

In particular I'm wondering how the Catalinbread Formula F56 is. Has anyone compared one to the Tech 21/Joyo?

4. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

I have a number of them; I am going through a phase I guess :lol:

+1 on Tech 21; they have some great character pedals. Also the Joyo American Sound.

Also the Lovepedal Hi Powered Twin pedal gets a great Neil Young tweed sound; I realize it's pricey but it happens to be my favorite pedal at the moment. Very simple, cleans up a bit by backing off the guitar volume.

I also have a Boss FBM-1, which is supposed to sound like a tweed Bassman. It's pretty cool too, but I like the Lovepedal better. I'm actually not sure how many of these are just hyped up tube screamers in a different box... the FBM-1 is like a basic overdrive pedal with additional EQ options I think.

One of these days I'll stop goofing around with little boxes and get a real 5e3 :D

guitarmikey likes this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I tried a few (including Catalibread, Wampler). The best for me is the MHP Raw, used at 9V. I have no idea if that is the intent of the pedal, or my interpretation of "tweed" will match yours. But that "wild/thick/chimey/responsive" thing is there in spades. Mine has a lot of gain (some even with the gain "off") at 9v. Again, hard to say if that is representative as you can't A/B two units in a store. But very responsive to the volume knob (just like a tweed) especially with a small tube amp with a small speaker. Different feel at 18v which is a bonus. If interested, I'd check it out and email the builder to see if he agrees with my assessment and if it will fit your needs. He wants to make sure the pedal will work out for folks as best he can so he's good about addresssing Qs.

6. TeleTeebs

TeleTeebs Banned

+1 on the joyo amaerican sound

7. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

Caitalinbread Fn5 is pretty darn good through a Champ 600. I was using just this pedal and amp for late night home practice until recently (had to sell the Champ).
    Lovepedal High Powered Twin is awesome. I didn't get a chance to run it into the Champ, but it has replaced my Fn5 as my favorite tweed pedal. I'm guessing the Les Lius would be pretty good too.

8. teleworship21

teleworship21 Tele-Meister

I had a good experience with the Tech 21 GT2, which did Fender Tweed, Marshall, and Mesa sounds. I always used the tweed setting and got great tone from it.

9. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

The Lovepedal Les Lius is a great pedal although I think it's been superceded by the High Power Twin pedal now. I've had one for a couple of years now and it's permanently on my board.

guitarmikey likes this.
  10. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

It is a great pedal. I got one when it 1st came out and used it extensively. I still have it with no intention of selling it. It was replaced on my board by the High Pwr Twin Pedal. Even tho the Les Lius is more versatile, I found myself only ever using the Twin setting when playing live. Plus, it's big and takes up a lot of space. When the High Pwr Twin Pedal became available it was no brainer for me. I like both of these better than the Formula #5 which I also bought. The FN5 is a great pedal but all it does is an overdriven tweed Deluxe. It has a lot of gain too. If this is what you're lookin' for then it's worth it.

11. xuoham

xuoham TDPRI Member

Really impressed by the Joyo AS here, and not only for the price.
    Using it mainly for a slightly edgy round and fat clean sound.

@gmann: haisai from Urasoe shi. Are you American ? Civilian ?

I'm french, 11 years living in Okinawa

12. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

The Fn5 only does overdriven tweed if you don't use your guitar volume. You have to work guitar and pedal together to get the best from it. Also, running it at 18v makes a big difference.

13. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I have a Wampler Tweed '57 that sounds glorious with my Tele through an old Champ or my Band Master. Surprisingly though, it sounds like crap through my BMRI, and does not get along with my SG. I picked up the pedal used for a great price, but do not think it's worth the price of admission at full retail.

What I found that sounds amazing through my THR is an Xotic EP Booster. I was blown away at how hitting the THR with a boost pedal made it sound! I swear to you it reacts just like a the amp would when it's hit with a hot signal. Great OD sound.

guitarmikey likes this.
  14. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have had a Zvex Distortron for a number of years. When the Catalinbread Formula #5 came out I was hot to get one. When I did, Lance was over and we were messing with it.... He noticed the two pedals sounded similar. Sure as shi...tzu, with a little knob twiddling, they sounded exactly the same.

The Zvex has a couple of switches which give it more flexibility when switching between guitars and such. So, it stayed.. Plus, at the time, the FN5 was worth more!

It kinda cured me for chasing any other tweed sounding peels. And, in fact the Distortron is always in regular rotation. Great pedal!

15. Stumpwizard

Stumpwizard Tele-Meister

I just built up a GuitarPCB Myton Blonde to get that tweed cranked tone out of my DRRI
    Love it...push it with a Zendrive to really over drive the blonde....great cranked tweed crunch

Demo on YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-CEamc8PLM

16. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Havn't tried many... but the RG/OLC Professor Tweed certainly has that 'tweed princeton in a box' thing going for it!

Attached Files:

17. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

With a little amp like the 600, I'd probably go with a Red Llama. An OD-250 or Dist+ might be good as well but the RL really captures that "sag" you get from a pushed tweed.

IMO, the amp-in-a-box pedals sound best through a big clean amp that doesn't add too much of it's own character.

BTW, what the heck is a THR?

18. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

I got a Blues Pearl Tweed:

http://bluespearlamps.com/home.php?cat=36

I got it in a trade when I traded for this Tweed Twin clone that I sadly do not own anymore. But I still have the pedal! I love it and its not going anywhere. :cool:

19. DocJay

DocJay Tele-Meister

A series of modeling amps from Yamaha and IMHO perhaps the best sounding bedroom/apartment-level amps on the market. I have owned both the THR10 and 10C. I am hoping that Yamaha's acquisition of Line 6 will move consumer-grade modeling to the next level. It is my understanding that Strymon grew out of Line 6.

20. DocJay

DocJay Tele-Meister

Confirmed. Pete Celi and Gregg Stock were at Line 6 before founding Strymon. Sorry to take the thread off topic, but just wanted to clarify my statement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.