Best Tube Screamer-type Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by heshan, Sep 23, 2014.

1. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Best sounding? =

Attached Files:

2. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

I was thinking about the Fulltone FD2 as well. The Joyo Vintage Overdrive is interesting too

But a lot of you seem to think the TS9 with the simple mod should do the trick. I'm not really sure I'd be able to do even this simple mod, though. Would a Maxon OD808 be a better bet? So that no mods are required?

The more I read about the Maxon, the more I like it. The demos sound very good too. I'd like to be getting one of these brands coz they're easier to find locally than some of the other brands suggested here

3. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

depending on where you're from, just grab a TS used. in my area, you can grab the TS-9 all day for $50 or $60. i've seen the 808's go for as little as $100. for what it's worth, i had the TS-9 for years before trading up to the 808... and there's very little difference between the two. save the extra money and go for the TS-9. i kept my 808 because it looks cool... but that's about it

4. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

My vote would be for the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive - good sounding TS with a clean blend. Without the clean blend, the Bad Monkey is a tough package to beat.

5. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

If it's "original TS only," there are too many options to consider, but you could even include an actual TS7 in your list, or something like the Biyang Mad Driver. While the Biyang has a "mode switch," one of the three modes is stock TS.

It is VERY GOOD that you included the NOT TRANSPARENT BOOST part, because the TS is the antithesis of that. A STOCK TS will remove both the bass and the treble. There are also TS-derived pedals with modes/switches/controls/etc. that "make the thing sound more transparent" - the FD2 has a "comp cut" switch, for instance - it basically is just a setting with no clipping diodes, which the Biyang Mad Driver also has.

Well, the problem seems to be that you won't get any consensus on what a TS is, and what it isn't. And admittedly, even Ibanez/Maxon has offered the TS9DX, which has FOUR settings, so that confuses the issue. The TS7 also has (or had as it's no longer current production). Both a stock and a hot mode.

IMO, STOCK TS really requires the following:

- The filter that removes all the bass below ~700Hz
    - The filter that removes all the treble above ~700Hz
    - a 4558 op amp, or anything general purpose with similar specs (there's a TON of them)

...So if you don't want or need the above, you probably don't want a TS. Or if you want need add'l features, you want something TS-derived.

As has already been mentioned, there are a ton of what are basically TS pedals, but they:

- disconnect the clipping diodes

- substitute different diodes than stock

- have a switch or knob to change the stock bass cut freq

- have a switch or knob to change the treble cut freq, which also might include how the tone control functions (this could be called 'flat mids,' or 'presence,' or 'mid shift,' or a bazillion different things)

-have a knob to blend in or out the clipped effect

...IMO, when you start throwing in a lot of these things, and it gets harder and harder to set the pedal for a stock TS setting, you might want to look at other ODs. For instance, something like the original Marshall Bluesbreaker (called "version one") in some aftermarket offering might be something you'd prefer.

But that's my suggestion, FWIW. You first need to decide if STOCK is really what you want. If yes, then TS7/TS9/many actual Maxon/Ibanez flavors will do. There's also a ton of TS-derived pedals that don't change anything from stock, such as the Biyang Mad Driver.

If you DON'T want stock, you have your work cut out for you (IMO). You need to determine what you might want or need that a stock TS doesn't provide. IMO, most of this will typically fall into the "different hardwired EQ characteristics" thing, and it's how a lot of companies make money with their countless TS-derivatives.

...The TS is SO popular IMO that it serves as the "default OD template" for many companies. It then just comes down to how many things they alter away from stock, and if it's even possible to set the thing for a stock sound. For instance, the older FD2 didn't have bass removed at ~700Hz - it was hardwired to let frequencies thru down to ~300Hz. That is a LOT more bass.

There are also folks who associate a TS as being more like a boost than an actual OD, so you need to determine where you fall with that line of thinking. IMO, it doesn't fit the criteria, or there might be better choices.

There will be no consensus on this subject - you can only whittle things down depending on how you want or need to define what you hope to get.

7. heshan

heshan Tele-Meister

Thanks 11 Gauge. I learn a lot from guys like you on this forum!

That cleared things up a lot. I definitely do want a stock TS - and like you said, I'll never get a definite answer on what's best or not (probably coz there's no definite answer) and I'm really liking what I read and hear about the Maxon OD808, so I'll probably get that some time down the line...

But right now, I think a pedal like the OCD (TS-derived, I believe) would give be a bit more versatility. Since I won't be owning multiple overdrive pedals any time soon, I'd like to get one that will cover a fair amount of tones

And I'm not disregarding all the great suggestions made here - the problem is that these are not readily available where I live. I have a guy who can gets down stuff like Maxon, Ibanez, Fulltone, Boss etc. (on order) but the other pedals listed here are not that easy to find. Same goes for used products. And I can't really try these before I buy, coz they're sold on order, so I really depend on your opinions and Youtube clips!

8. CajunPicker316

CajunPicker316 Tele-Holic

I havn't seen artdecade chime in yet but I'll save him the trouble. Sounds like you need a Rat!

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Best sounding TS I've ever heard is from the first versions of the Visual Sound Route 66 and Jekyll/Hyde pedals.

10. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

yes and the garagetone drivetrain has a bass knob plus the really good visual sounds buffer.
    all for the price of just a VS buffer alone.
    great pedal for $50 indeed!

i think most pros that use the TS are using it with the drive all the way down and the volume all the way up into a cranked amp.

11. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Agreed! The Visual Sound Route 808 is the standalone pedal representing the TS circuit in both of those pedals.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Route 808 is very good (I have one), but it's not quite the same as the Jekyll side of the old silver Jekyll/Hyde, or the OD on the old V.1 Route 66 (both of which I also own). There's a touch more clarity in those older pedals.

The pedal that I've heard come closest to those old VS TSs would be the EHX Soul Food.

13. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

No mention of the EHX East River Drive? Interesting you're looking for Tube Screamer and considered the Soul Food and not the East River. $62 and you'll be good to go..

14. Dave84

Dave84 TDPRI Member

+1

I find the Fd2 perfect for my needs. It has the more controls and options than any other pedal on my board, but being my only "overdrive", I'm glad the versatility is there.

15. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I love the 4 knob Turbo Tube Screamer... had it for years and have used it very hard. Has 4 settings of tube screamer(s). Very versatile, dependable pedal.

16. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I have both an OCD and Fulltone Plimsoul. If you are wanting something akin to a TS sound I would pick the Plimsoul. The OCD is mid-scooped whereas TS style pedals are mid-emphasized.The stage 1 knob on the Plim will get you that general type of overdriven sound. It's actually has asymmetrical clipping which is more like the Boss SD-1, but I like that type of tone better anyway. (I also own a stock TS-9) Now that I've mentioned it,:lol:, a stock Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive is a great TS alternative...IMO. And the Boss overdrive actually beat the Tube Screamer to market back in the day. (OD-1)

17. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For features, my pick for best would be the T-Rex Crunchy Frog.
    Independent clean boost that comes before a TS-style overdrive with a clean blend. In a box the minimum size for a double footswitch pedal.

For sound, that's up to you to pick. The TS-808 sounds good to me.

18. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

My favorite TS style pedal I've tried is the Toadworks Texas Flood. Not many of them around, but I sure regret selling mine. It's basically like (to my ears) an 808 with a little more drive and a little less bass rolloff. Killer drive pedal. Check it out!

19. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I put together a TS kit pedal with a .047 + .022 cap for the bass rolloff, for a 500 Hz roll off instead of 720, and it sounds spectacular.

That's a 1 solder mod to a TS9 and you don't have to remove anything from the PCB just bridge the cap with a .022 cap.

My SD-1 has hot glue all over the caps :mad:

20. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

The best I've had since the '90s is a reissue TS9 that Analogman converted to 808 specs and beefed up some soldering. So "colored" mods added. If you pick up a used reissue and have him mod it you can get a great Tubescreamer for little $.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.