Best transparent overdrive...

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by djcristobal, Sep 24, 2014.

1. djcristobal

djcristobal TDPRI Member

I'm in search of a nice transparent drive for leading worship I'm really leaning towards three. The voyager by walrus audio, bb effects pre-amp, and the em- drive. Are there any out there that anyone else could recommend? i use a fender tele deluxe into a princeton reverb reissue! Thanks in advance!

2. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

*can of worms: open

:D

I like visual sound open road, lots love the timmy, mxr modified OD isn't super transparent but it works well, BYOC silver pony/EH soul food/klon clones, joyo sweet baby/mad professor sweet honey...

3. djcristobal

djcristobal TDPRI Member

dang i had an opportunity to buy an open road!!! I'll definitley check that out. Timmy is good! OOOHHHH that byoc klon is super nice! Thanks!

4. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I really love my Open Road and I also like the Soul Food. There are TONS of others, but those are the two I have experience with and love.

5. taylor_guy414

taylor_guy414 TDPRI Member

I was looking for the same type of pedal and ended up getting the Wampler Paisley Drive. It's a GREAT overdrive that is very transparent and has plenty of gain on tap if you need it. I bought it because I play a lot of country gigs outside of church so I figured I would use it for the country gigs and continue to use my fulldrive 2 at church. But ever since I bought the Paisley Drive I never use my fulldrive anymore and might be about to sell the fulldrive in all honesty.

6. TonyTaylor

TonyTaylor Tele-Meister

Soul food. Its cheap and sounds alot like the original signal with subtle drive. When you crank it it sounds similar to the amps drive. Its my go to drive. I just normally keep the drive pretty low. Id like to get it sent in to jhs for their mod package.

7. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

In Worship circles one of the gold standard "transparent" OD's has to be the Tim or Timmy. I have a Timmy and it's a good OD, especially for rhythm. Most OD's don't play nice with multiple notes played at the same time i.e. chords. The Timmy displays very little (almost none) dissonance while playing chords.

On the other hand it sounds nothing like my amp when the amp is cranked. That is the thing with the "transparent" OD's. They're selling point is that they sound like your amp, only with overdrive. The thing is, if you push your amp into overdrive, it does not sound like it did when it was clean.

8. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

The Tim/Timmy is the standard. But you may also want to consider the Bearfoot Honey Bee.

9. GuitarGuy43113

GuitarGuy43113 Tele-Meister

I really like my paisley drive as well. However, I would not call it anything close to transparent, at certain settings it has a distinct tubescreamer mid bump and less bass than my natural guitar signal, if you try to dial out the mid bump you get a pedal that sounds closer to Brad's Z-wreck sound, which I would still not call transparent.

Excellent pedal and I highly recommend it, but I just wanted to be clear about the Transparent-ness (is that a word?) of the thing.

10. GuitarGuy43113

GuitarGuy43113 Tele-Meister

Forgot to add, for transparent, the first pedal to check out is going to be the Tim/Timmy. Pretty much the standard for transparent.

The Open road is also a decent option, I never liked the size of the thing, but I can't say anything bad about the tone and it has a very high qaulity buffer in it when bypassed which could help with long cable runs.

I am going to throw another option out there as well, check out the Wampler Euphoria, it has three settings and one is called "open". I own this pedal and think the open setting is very "open" (lol) and transparent, plus it has two other settings that sound really good and will give you more options later on. The high gain setting has saved my rear a few times when a WL has wanted more crunch and I left the OCD at home.

11. djcristobal

djcristobal TDPRI Member

thanks guys for the responses I never thought of the paisley wampler that sounds interesting. There is a soulfood selling locally for 60 bucks maybe i'll jump on that. Thanks for the great suggestions. My goal is with the princeton reverb it's super clean and that's what i love about it. Just need that pedal to add a little dirt when I hit the strings a little harder. has anyone tried a klon clone? and where do you put your drive in your pedal chain? I was thinking

Tele>Comp>new oda> Fulltone 2> Volume> Nova Delay> Hall of Fame

12. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

There are different schools of thought when it comes to signal chain. Many will say the Comp. needs to come first then your gain effects, then delay and lastly modulation. Play around with the order. I find that I like my OD's before my compressor. They sound more natural that way, and I can vary how much drive I get from them with my guitar's volume knob without affecting overall volume. It does increase noise a bit however. I switch them around if low noise is hyper critical. Right now I have my OD's before the comp. and my Distortion and boost after the comp. Anyway, nothing is set in stone, play with it, and see what your ears tell you.

I forgot to mention the Fulltone OCD. I've A/B'd it with the Timmy and it is very close. I preferred the Timmy but there is not a lot difference between the two. With an amp like the Princeton, I would want at least one fairly dark sounding OD with a fairly significant mid boost. Maybe you get that from the Fulldrive 2 (never played one of those). I have a Deluxe Reverb and the transparent OD is not my favorite with that amp. The amp is bright, and the Timmy is bright. I've got to turn the treble almost completely off on the pedal to use the two together.

The transparent OD's excel with darker sounding amps (i.e. any of the ubiquitous British flavored amps on worship stages everywhere). Not saying you can't use them with a Fender, but the traditional Fenders like the Princeton and the DR don't need them nearly as badly as the Voxes and clones do.

In a round about way I guess I'm saying is that I don't see the transparent OD's as transparent. To me, they are bright OD's. They mate well with a dark amp, just like mid rangey OD's mate well with bright or scooped amps. I guess that's why I like my Timmy with my Marshall 18 watt, and AC 15 and prefer a good old TS 808 with my Deluxe Reverb.

13. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

Klones are cool, but can be pretty brittle, just like the Tim/Timmy. If you just want a slight push, I'd check out the Xotic RC Booster... it's active tone controls work very well with Fender amps (I've used one with my BFPR for years).

Wildwind likes this.
  14. djcristobal

djcristobal TDPRI Member

NUB!!! Those videos were awesome. I really like that booster!

15. consumnfire1229

consumnfire1229 TDPRI Member

No experience with any listed, but a popular pedal in the worship world is the Fulltone Full-drive 2 mosfet, but I would recommend the custom shop version of the full-drive 2. They are white with red lettering and signed on the back. Unlikely you will find one...at least not cheap! But if you can get your hands on one, they are very transparent for rhythm. Not a good lead pedal...but dreamy for rhythm...aahhhh

16. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Get the one you like best. IME nobody in the congregation will notice any difference.
    I used to chase tone myself. I'd get the perfect setup, mike the amp just so, then the sound man makes it sound thin and fizzy right before he buries it in the mix.
    Good luck.

17. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

I don't know of any overdrive that is really transparent, that sounds cool I know. I have used those little Micro amp pedals before, I think MXR still make's one. My favorite is an Okko Diablo don't like the name, but its very cool and I can't afford it either at $295.00 a pop. I have a friend who uses some of the Barber pedals they are nice and don't cost a lot. Myself after playing worship 30 years, I have tried to teach myself to use the EQ on my amp. On my dirty channel sometimes I crank my master to 8 or 9 and use volume or pre which ever you have on 2 or 3 and by turning down my EQ low mids and high I get a nice transparent overdrive and its not super loud unless you crank it. It depends on your amp but we are so quick in buying stuff and not spending time learning and finding the sweet spots on our amps. When I was playing Christian metal, I had a Boogie Mark III head 2 412 cabs a rack with 4 midiverb's and a BBE exciter, Boss OD- 1 pedal. I also played all this crap in church or it played me. Anyway its a suggestion, I just got from my beautiful wife as a gift a couple month's ago, a new Rivera Clubster Royale 112. When I get a amp I get off by myself and I might spend a hour or 2 learning the amp and how the EQ works, and fine tune that baby. I write everything down so I can go back to it if need be. So far it has work for me, with my PV classic 30, my Fender Deville 410, PV Delta Blues 210. By the way I have sold these amps since I have got my Rivera and I have kept my Fender Blues Jr. But just a suggestion. I don't what amp you have but you might just need to spend time with it.

18. djcristobal

djcristobal TDPRI Member

Thanks gary! Yeah I might have to do that I have a PRRI. I definitely need to spend more time fine tuning for my overdrive I ended up getting the soulfood picked it up for 50 bucks off a local and I like it a lot but still a lot of tweaking is necessary! Thanks everyone!

19. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Danelectro Transparent OD V1

20. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

If transparent how do you know its there.
    I know the little light said so.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.