Best three hours I have spent...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Preacher, May 10, 2021.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

So I moved last September from the big house to the downsized townhouse.

When we moved I had a large box of CD's that were gathering dust in the closet that I almost just threw out so I would not have to move it. Well I am a little too nostalgic for that so I moved them into the new place and they have sat in my closet since then.

My current computer setup does not have a CD player and I realized that there was nothing in the house anymore that would play a CD.
    I had decided I would go downtown to the antique stores and see if I could run down a cheap CD player system so I could just throw a CD into it when I want to listen to something that is not downloaded on a phone somewhere.

Then I got this idea. I have a backup laptop from a decade ago that had a CD player. It is still connected to my Itunes account so I fired up that old dog and put about forty CD's onto that computer and then synched those songs to my big IPad. Great now I have hundreds of songs on my IPad, but how do I play them? I grabbed this old TV sound bar that never worked with my TV, it has a bluetooth function so I connected it to my Ipad and I am now sitting here listening to Boston's Greatest Hits that I haven't listened to in ten years!!

Life is good!!

[​IMG]

Nelg, Chuckster, JL_LI and 15 others like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

thing about Boston is, you can tune in any Classic Rock format radio station and hear most of their hits over 12 hours or so.

and when bars are up and operable, you can walk in any bar and likely as not hear it from the jukebox

3. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Boston most likely was the one band that convinced me I loved rock music when I was about 10 or 11. I have 2 older brothers and sisters that were driving and in high school when that first album came out. It seems like 'More Than A Feeling' and 'Foreplay/Long Time' was blaring from all the kids cars in our neighborhood.

Chuckster and Preacher like this.
  4. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

Excellent job! Way to use what you have!

Preacher likes this.
  5. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Now onto:

upload_2021-5-10_10-30-10.jpeg

edvard and RockinforJesus like this.
  6. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welp, I guess this is what I ought do before putting crates of CD into the bin - as soon as they're gone, I'm prob gonna want to hear 'em (even if they haven't played in 10-15 years)
    Peace - Deeve

Tommy Biggs, nojazzhere and Preacher like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lots of good times and good memories tied into that first Boston album in particular. I don't really feel a need to play it all that often any more, but every once in a while, it's nice to break it out and crank it up. Amazing to think that most of that album was recorded in Tom Scholz' basement.

Chuckster, SRHmusic and Preacher like this.
  8. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Yessir, burn em all into itunes and rock on! Growing up down in SE Texas, when I was probably 13, a young co-worker friend of my mom just played the $#it out of those Boston albums. She was easy on the eyes and she drove a sweet Camaro too, so that hit me hard with the electric guitar bug pretty early.;)

Preacher likes this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

As far as the band Boston is concerned, I’ll just use the same explanation that Gilligan “Left Ear” from the 2003 Italian Job used regarding dogs...

I had a bad experience!”

I tried to like them.

Torren61 and Preacher like this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Nice! I took all my CDs to charity years ago. There are maybe 12 that I’ve kept. They’re worth $0 for sale but worth list price claimed as a donation.

Preacher likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I remember when Boston's first album came out, 1976. Wow, 45 years ago. I feel old.

Chuckster, Obsessed and SRHmusic like this.
  12. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

There’s an iTunes remote app, I have it on my iPad and iTunes on my laptop, with the laptop’s headphone output going into my home stereo. There I have the music ripped from all my CDs, plus other albums of songs I’ve downloaded from my county library’s website (free) on the internet. I can sit in my recliner listening and add to what’s at the first (next song) or last of the playing list, whatever songs I choose. I can pause and adjust volume level of the headphone connection as needed.

My music is stored on a laptop-size USB external-cased hard drive. I can move the laptop and drive if needed to my kitchen to hook it similarly to my kitchen stereo.

I still have my extensive collection of CDs in a rack but I can just play them from my laptop and hard drive. I’m not currently driving for medical reasons, but if I start doing so again, I can put my whole library on a USB thumb drive and play it on the go.

The laptop is a fairly small and lightweight HP model my wife got me for Christmas last year, running Windows.

Preacher likes this.
  13. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

The first album was the best and then what seemed like forever the second one came out and it was damn good.
    After that too many years went by and the 3rd one finally came out and it sucked IMO....

Torren61 likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I think that applies to almost anything you've collected over the years....books, clothes, guitars, etc. When I die, my heirs are gonna HATE me for all my accumulated "stuff". ;)

15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

An now onto... the best break up drama filled record ever recorded...

[​IMG]

electrichead likes this.
  16. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mustang Ranch?

sax4blues likes this.
  17. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

During a boring snowstorm many years ago, I found myself in a similar situation and uploaded the entire collection to some ginormous external hard drive. Over time I organized and created many playlists that we still enjoy to this day. Than gave away the majority of the cd’s. Now, I have the music but not the clutter. Win win.

Preacher likes this.
  18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer CDs. It's so much easier to use than the computer, you just pop them in the CD player. I haven't even connected a computer to my stereo.

Also pulled out some of my old cassettes, although I don't have a cassette player for my stereo, but I do have a couple of boomboxes in other rooms

Mr powers likes this.
  19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Ever since my last Mac OS upgrade, iTunes has issues. It wants me on a cloud for storage. Seems that if I don't do that, an icon on the dock starts jumping up and down when in any other app. It takes a little while for me to work around this.

Any way to stop this bouncing of the iTunes icon? Not interested in too much cloud stuff.

20. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

Cool Preacher,

I think bluetooth, or whatever gets you rid off cables is marvelous, the essence of mobility, sign of the times.

Another great step ahead is 'the cloud' thing, and the 'streaming' one (apple music, spoty, Audiovisual platforms, etc.) for music and Films.

These put me on the market again for listening music at home after blank decades.

The magic of buying a Long Play and listening those 42 minutes in a row, time after time is lost, but I do not longer want to spend that money so often.

Some quality on the sound is lost, but my laziness searching for a record in my home or car bibliotheqe worths the move.

Preacher likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.