Best thin, light weight telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DeathSuperMario, Apr 5, 2015.

1. DeathSuperMario

DeathSuperMario TDPRI Member

I'm 164cm tall. Weight is 48.1 kg. Age is 22 years.
    I have Les paul guitar. Problem is thickness of neck and body weight.
    I like my les paul sound. I realized that fender and squier makes great thin guitars.

I play punk, crossover(mix of metal and punk), post, rock, blues, reggae, rocksteady, ska.
    I like heavy distorion and reverb. Mustang or tele?
    I don't like strat so much.
    I'm looking best fast play guitar. Thin neck, not so thick and big body, two pickups.
    Blacktop telecaster sounds great. Any recommendations ? What telecaster to look?

2. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Thin or any description of thickness is a difficult thing because peoples opinions vary. Some people say the modern C shape necks on the MIM standards and American Standards are thick while most consider them on the thin side. As far as light Fender guitars go the Empress Telecaster is super light (between 5 to 6.5 pounds as I've seen) though hard to find since they only made a 1,000 or them. Most people shoot for that sweet 7 lbs mark. Price point is also a factor in what models to suggest. Though I think you'd be fine with a used Fender Standard Telecaster or maybe a Nashville Telecaster :) Just my 2 cents.

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

My Baja - which has the heavy poly finish and the thicker neck - is 7 lb (3.2 Kg). You can find a MIM or other Tele for a bit less than that; 6.5 lb (2.9 Kg) seems to be the lower limit for a "normal" Telecaster. I agree - the Les Paul is a much heavier guitar, probably 1 to 1.5 Kg more than a lighter Tele.

I agree with xFallenx - thin neck is very relative. I find the Modern C profile very thin, but it is huge compared to what Ibanez and Carvin use.

4. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Wood is not consistant, it varies greatly in weight and density. You may have to pick them up until you find a suitable instrument. Try considering the Squier Affinity models, they have a thinner tham standard body.

5. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Looking at your prefs, I think Mustang.

I love mine specifically for clean to dirty surf, jangly tones and classic/rhythmic rock or punk (mild but dirty OD). Nice guitar to throw around: Shorter scale, small body (but not necessarily light), not sure about all-out metal (add a humbucker...?).

Of course you can play pretty much everything with anything but a Tele isn't the thinnest/lightest guitar and has a longer scale.

6. dpuvaca

dpuvaca TDPRI Member

You could also go with gibson sg, if you like your lp sound, only a bit brighter. to me it's most comfortable body style to play.

Or you can find some kind of chambered body, tele, lp or whatever you like, warmoth tele perhaps?

7. DeathSuperMario

8. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

G&L has options for thinner necks and bodies and 'thinlines' (semi hollow) for weight savings. They make an ASAT Classic with Alnico pickups, now, if you're willing to pay for the USA guitars, which are reasonable considering their quality, IMO. Although, it sounds like you're going for some more modern tones, you might get along with the G&L MFD pickups, which come standard in a lot of the models.

Also dont let anyone tell you that teles or guitars with thick necks aren't fast. Because they are IMO. My fastest guitar has the thickest neck profile of all my guitars (search Warmoth's 'Boatneck' profile). I have G&L's with thinner necks, and while they're plenty fast, the thicker necks are faster for me, and I dont have large hands. Maybe you just dont like the LP neck shape. I find that I dont like it very much, and it does sort of feel clunky and slower, to me.

9. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

True. My SG was the lightest, thinnest, easiest to play guitar I ever held in my hands. Never liked the tone though and traded it recently for a mustang.

10. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Tele-Afflicted

11. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

I had an 04 SG and it was TOO light (I'm 5'10" and barely break 140lbs). Was very disappointed I finally got an SG and it flung around like a toy. The neck was heavier than the body. Neck dive extravaganza!

12. DeathSuperMario

I looked and tried guitars in guitar shop.

I liked SG body weight. Bad was that neck was heavier than body.
    SG neck Profile was not great.

Ibanez gio series neck was very great. Thin and fast neck.
    Ibanez rg neck profile was great for barre chords. I think that flat profile neck similar to classical guitar neck is bad if I also wanna play thumb over neck. If the rg neck is tiny bit more rounded it will be very great.
    Fenders standart series necks was too thick for me.

If I remember it right It was ibanez gio grg7221 and grg121dx.
    I only like my les paul neck width. Les paul neck puts my thumb too much under tension If I play thumb on neck.

Great guitar would be:
    6 strings, humbuckers, SG body weight(2-3kg), les paul neck width, gio low neck thickness(18-19,5 at first fret and 20-21,5 at 12 fret) and profile , les paul JR double cut or strat body similar shape, 24"-24.75" Scale lenght.

People in other forums recommended ibanez s series, gibson jett and Epiphone Wilshire

13. frenchy51

frenchy51 Tele-Meister

Tough one to nail down, but I love my custom shop '61 reissue at 6.4 lbs and early 60's C shape neck (9.5 radius)

Attached Files:

14. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Thinline Tele is the lightest of my Tele Quiver.
    You'd probably want some hotter pickups in one if that was something you'd consider.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Look for Squier bullet and affinity lines (thin necks), epiphone Les Paul special model line. Epiphone SG is light but higher models than Special have wider thicker necks.

16. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

There may not be a tele with a thin enough neck for you if the American standard was thick to you.

based on what you are saying, the MIM standard HH has a relatively thin neck (to me.....I like FAT necks though) and good pickups for what you are doing.

17. edodo

edodo TDPRI Member

I would say the 2015 telecaster american standard with ash body. Those model (and since the 2008 model i think) have big neck pickup humbucker route, and a middle pickup route so that is weight relief hidden Under the pickguard.

Also the ash use is high quality and very light. The 2015 model (since 2014? maybe) have in addition a belly cut, so again less wood!
    The american standard these days have very high output pups too, that help grunging those tube amps for that punk sound.

The two sunburst ash tele looks killer and would fit your music genre and all the rest too.

18. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

The OP mentioned above that the Fender Standard Telecaster had too thick of a neck so the American Standards wouldn't work either sadly :cry:

19. DeathSuperMario

Maybe telecaster with costume neck?
    Or some other than squier and fender telecaster.
    I tried american standard telecaster.
    Both mexican and american made telecasters have same necks.
    Thinline I tried had way too thick neck. More than half baseball bat.

20. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I think OP needs to forget what he thinks he needs and try some more guitars.. Given a chance most of us can get use to and be comfortable with a very wide variety of guitars. The weight is one thing and xfallen's suggestion of an empress is prob the best if he's looking for a Tele.

I remember playing my big bodied 12 string acoustic as a kid.. Sure I had to stretch to get my arms around it but I still played the snot out of it. Thankfully I never had some well intentioned expert scare me off by telling me that the guitar was to big. It's one thing to develop a preference over time but I see so many newbies come here that have already determined that they can't play certain types of guitars before they've even started.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.