Best telecaster/amp combo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Hendrixlvr, Mar 24, 2014.

1. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

I can't believe it hasn't said...Baja+MIII=far too many options to list...to me the best combo :D

2. wullie22

wullie22 TDPRI Member

Dunno,but "all along the watchtower by Hendrix solo is pretty amazing sound as old as it is,tele into a marshal.i have a tiny terror(love it,persevered with a blues jr for five years)do not miss it one bit,billm mods an speaker change included.

3. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

After years with a JTM45 I´m playing my teles through a H&K Grandmeister 36. Sounds real good, not better than the "one trick ponys", but good in its own way. My decision was the flexibility which give me both my amp and my teles. Both teles got special designed split coil blade humbuckers which give me great humbucking and singlecoil tones. Everything´s easy to carry, for me it´s the way to fit all my styles from country to classic rock with one guitar and one amp.

Attached Files:

4. mustachio

mustachio TDPRI Member

I use a Dr. Z M12 with a Celestion Blue and Nocaster Relic. It's also great with a Les Paul.

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

It's already been said and amen'ed by several, but "best" is not a useful term in discussions of this type. Much better to ask people what combinations work well for them, and then you might even ask why.

In my case, I have four custom made tele style guitars. Each one plays and feels and sounds like a tele, but each has its distinctive features: different tonewoods, different body constructions (as in solid, thinline or chambered), different pickup configurations, different switching, etc.

For the most part, I play all of them through one of my Vox Pathfinder 15Rs, and really like what I hear.

One has a P-90 neck pickup, so it doesn't work as well in a Pathfinder for everything. For some crunchy, gutsy r&r, it likes one of my Peavey Bandits.

So, there are too many variables even within my modest collection of teles and amps to say I have a "best," much less what's "best" for everyone.

And for that matter, these are not the only amps I've played my teles through. In some studio recording I did in January, I used the studio's Vox AC15C2. And I'd like to be able play all of mine through other amps, too. If money were no object, I'd already own an AC15. And a Peavey Delta Blues 115. And if money were really no object, maybe an Allen Sweet Spot.

6. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Ok... My Nashville and my m-80. Love it.

7. redddog

redddog Tele-Holic

AC 30 for moi.

8. smokeygills

smokeygills Tele-Meister

Princeton Reverb for me

9. vernon

vernon Tele-Meister

all I can say is that there is some weird magic that happens when I play my parts caster through my home built 5F1... like they know each other or something

10. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Yeah, My Tele trough a PRRI is lush. I also liked it with the champ. But Then I had an AC30 once with the band and I was pretty impressed (favoured it over my PR that day). Then trough a DRRI at a shop? Yum. And minutes later with the Marshall 1974x...wow.
    My Tele is polygamous.

11. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Rather than name a particular amp to use with a Telecaster I'd rather just say that amps that use 6V6 output tubes always, to my ears, add a special magic to Telecaster tone. 6V6s take the edge off the top without muddying up the overall tone. They seem to pair perfectly with the Telecaster. In my own studio I normally play all of my other electrics through amps using EL84, 6L6GC or EL34B tube types. My Telecasters are the only exception to the rule. I've found that for me to get the best Tele tone my current equipment can provide I need to use my Cornford Carrera 6 watt class A amp with a 6V6 selected as the output tube. I'd love to find an old Fender with a pair of 6V6 tubes for more volume as well as more of an original look to add to my gear when I'm performing. Somehow, when playing a Tele, it just feels wrong not to have an amp with the Fender name plate behind you.

12. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Hopefully, after five years the OP has it figured out by now. in case I'm wrong(not very often..well) go with a Super Reverb..works with anything under the Sun(you can find them cheap considering what all your getting)..or..nah..I'm not going any further with this Zombie..

Tim S likes this.
  13. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Being an amateur player with a cheap gear habit, I play thru 2 amps both modelers. A fender SCHD and a Roland 40gx Cube. Teles are MIM La Cabronita and Squier CVC. Throw in a couple of Squier STDs if your counting. Love the SCXD for the fender tones. But find the Roland has versatility in it’s effects. No speaker out on the Roland, SCXD goes into a 212 Cab. Played a few Strats and a Gretch Streamliner thru the amps but need more time to come up with anything I liked.
    Love is where you find it.

14. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

A Tele and a Fender amp!

Greggorios likes this.
  15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Best I've ever played through is a Bad Cat Trem Cat.
    C"my eyes and just listen" amazing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.