1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Tele w/ rosewood fretboard for under $750

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RYAN1987M, Jan 7, 2014.

1. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Another big fan of the Classic 60s here. Loaded body $350, neck $200, tuners $40, string tree $7.

Can't touch Boris's Palo though!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

You guys are building some sweet Teles for not too much expense. Everything mates up nicely?

And yes I love Boris's as well.

3. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Classic 60's yet again....

Now for an outlier vote: If you like a beefier neck - look for a used Muddy Waters Tele.

MIM with MIA pups and a nice sized c neck.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks, Ryan!

I don't find the radius to be all that evident. And I like how the "vintage" wire seems so much taller with the rosewood because the fretwire doesn't have to cope with being coated in poly that is never thin on the maple ones.

Others disagree, but my experience is the MIM 60s neck is just a little wider than the MIJ and that's a welcome increase in width at the nut. The spacing of the six strings on the MIJ is essentially 1 and 3/8ths or a little less and that's pretty narrow.

5. Tzer1993

Tzer1993 NEW MEMBER!

6. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have found Long & McQuade (Burlington) has good stock usually, but I know a small dealer in N. Ontario that claims he can beat L&M/GC pricing all day long- I just live too far away(probably a good thing). The dealers must have the same pricing on the tags and ads as everyone else, but they do have the final say on how much they'll sell it to you right then and there. The Classic 60's, Muddy Waters or a used AS all would be good choices.

7. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I got nothing much to add. The 60's Classic is as close as you can get to an original 60's standard Telecaster - at that price at least.

[​IMG]

8. Lonestar Boogie

Lonestar Boogie TDPRI Member

I second the MIM Satin finish guitars. I absolutely love mine.

[​IMG]

9. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Thank you all for this outpouring of feedback - I really appreciate it!

I'm definitely wanting to buy used (better value for the money in my opinion) and I would love to buy locally (but I'll deal with a more limited selection in Canada).

Lots of models for me to consider:
    - MIM 60's Classic
    - MIJ 62' Reissue
    - MIM Muddy Waters Signature Edition
    - MIM Standard Satin
    - MIA Standard
    - MIA Highway One/Roadworn

I'm hoping to find something locally (or at least within Canada) but our used market is a lot smaller in terms of selection. I just have to remember that anything I see on Ebay or Reverb is going to cost me an additional $50 - $100 in shipping and another $75 - $125 in fees (import duties/taxes/levies - depending on the selling price).

Just this morning a MIM Satin became available locally - looks pretty mint for $400 - http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...eries-Arizona-Sun-400-FIRM-W0QQAdIdZ557387899
    Something to consider as I'd potentially have leftover budget for pickups and a three saddle bridge (if I play it and see a need).

Once again, thanks for all of the help thus far!

Ryan

10. Lonestar Boogie

That's the one I have, the MIM Satin Arizona Sun. I love it! It feels and plays great, and the stock pickups are surprisingly good. You will be amazed at how great it looks in person, especially the way the body color compliments and plays off the rosewood on the finger board.

11. rebelwoclue

That one looks pretty nice! Good luck!

12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Classic 60s - agreed.

13. boris bubbanov

Those MIM satin finish models are just making a lot of other would be buyers very grumpy.

The satin, and the colors, work for a certain percentage of guys but most IMO would rather black or Arctic White or LPB. There's definitely some aggravation and envy from a lot of "Old Schooler" types. Lots of pent up demand for a rosewood board on the essential Standard model over decades, and when it finally comes, you gotta accept an "alternate" kind of body finish and color which is not what you ever expected. Not saying the Satin is Ugly - This isn't about it being ugly; it is about it being unfamiliar and not what people had been begging for. The issue would be just as evident if the rosewood only came with an Electron Blue or Midnight Wine gloss body, I think, maybe worse.

Still, the men in suits around the Boardroom have this large family of guitar products and I guess they don't want one model to be too obviously the first choice. You gotta protect the American Standard I guess. :^)

And maybe the folks in the Boardroom have evidence the real numbers are in "conquest" sales or new to Fender buyers. Not in the guys who coulda woulda shoulda bought more Fenders over the years but maybe they never buy as many as we think they do! ;)

14. Lonestar Boogie

Great points.

I have two American Strats and I was going to buy a Tele no matter what. But when I saw this one in a local shop, and could get it for $400, I knew all I had to do was play it to make sure it felt good in my hands.

15. RYAN1987M

And now I'm going back and forth while trying to decide if I should jump on the locally available MIM Satin (for $400) or be patient, continue to monitor these boards, and see what else might eventually pop-up on the used market.

I'm really digging the sounds of the 60's Classic Tele - but finding a used one in Canada may be tricky, and buying a used one off of Ebay would probably cost me about $500/$600 for the guitar plus another $200 for shipping/taxes/duties/etc.

Time will tell I suppose!

Ryan

16. rebelwoclue

Ryan, I would watch GC ads for 15% off- should be coming up soon. Then a new 60's classic would be $679 in Buffalo. Something to ponder...

17. RYAN1987M

And thank you for reminding me of this - because that's still a valid option. I'm a bit less than two hours to the border - so it's a very easy drive for me. I'd save all of the shipping and I'd have the chance to get lucky and potentially avoid duties if I can sweet-talk the border security while crossing back into Canada...

18. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yep. Every time someone mentions the MW model I do a Homer and smack myself in the head for not getting one.

19. boris bubbanov

Yeah.

The biggest challenge is how to get a MIM 60s into the GC stock of the Niagara Falls Boulevard Store.

Usually they visualize giving 15% off on in stock guitars. The chances Tonawanda has a MIM 60s Tele in stock are maybe one in 30? I guess you have to be discrete; maybe use a sham buyer friend in Western New York to make the calls to induce the mgr. there to order the guitar; then scoop it up.

20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I did a Google search to see if any had come up anywhere after I started reading about it a few months back somewhere, and yes, I can understand your frustration. It's really close between the MW and Joe Strummer for me though...plus I need the cash too, that's the big divider lol!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.