Best Tele w/ rosewood fretboard for under $750

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RYAN1987M, Jan 7, 2014.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Hello Fellow TDPRI'ers,

I'm quite new around these parts but I've really been enjoying myself thus far. Currently I'm on a quest to find my first Tele and I was hoping that you could help me narrow the field.

I'm looking for a Tele (or Tele-style guitar) with a rosewood fretboard.

Personally, I prefer the feel of rosewood under my fingers. I also prefer the look. Again, that's just my personal preference (I know I'm a noob - but I'm certainly not trying to start any kind of maple vs. rosewood discussion, I know you've had plenty of those to deal with around here, haha).

Anyhow, as I said, I'm looking for some help narrowing the field. It seems that most production Tele's come fitted with maple fretboards and Fender seems to have a lot less choice in terms of Tele models that are available with rosewood fretboards.

Just so you know, I have played a number of Squier CVC - they seem like a great value for the money, but I just find the neck profile to be too slim for my tastes.

I'm thinking about a CIJ/MIJ 62' Reissue...but finding one used, in Canada, is a bit of a mission. I'm also looking at the MIM Standards in Satin (which have the rosewood boards). I'm certainly open to buying something used, and I'm constantly keeping my eyes on my local Kijiji/CL to see what's out there.

Long story short, I'm looking to spend $750 USD or less. I'd just like to know what options are out there and which models I should consider. As I said, any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Ryan

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Might be tough in Canada, but on a good day in the US you might just find a new MIM Classic 60's for $750 after a discount from the normal $800 selling price. It truly is one of the best Teles Fender makes in any country.

[​IMG]

3. RobBnTX

RobBnTX Tele-Meister

You might try looking around on ebay. I just came across this one you might to check out. Seller says they ship world wide.

Here is another one I just found that is in your price range but unfortunately it only lists as shipping to the United States

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

5. papaphaedrus

papaphaedrus Tele-Meister

I really dig the esp ltd te212. Fairly cheap and they feel really good in the hands.

6. MGiroux77

MGiroux77 TDPRI Member

The Satin MIM Standard is a great guitar. I am loving mine.

Attached Files:

7. dogfootblues

dogfootblues Tele-Afflicted

I'd try to snag a classic 60's Tele. They sell used for $400 to $500. They can be had new for $750 or under. And that Tele is one of the best in the classic line.

Sent from my iPod touch using TDPRI

8. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Another vote for MIM 60s Classic.

9. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

My vote is for the MIM 60s Classic.

10. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I would go for a used American Standard, just based on my experience with the AS strat I just picked up. It's a fully pro instrument, ready to gig out of the box. I assume the AS tele is on the same plane. Here's a link to a used one from MF for a little over yr budget:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...itar-with-rosewood-fingerboard?condition=used

You should be able to find one on CL / Kijiji for less than that. Good luck!

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I can't improve on this post. Exactly what I was thinking; great choice.

I love mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a Guitar Center on Niagara Falls Boulevard in Northern Erie County, NY (Town of Tonawanda I think) that might have one and that pretty close to Kitchener, don't you think? :)

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have decided I want a brown stained Tele with black binding and a black pickguard next :D where is the :drool: icon?

13. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

That's a stunner! I can make it to New York State in a bit less then 2 hours.

The only thing that was making me nervous with the 60's Classic and the Japanese 62 Reissue is the 7.5" fretboard radius...

I haven't had a chance to try either neck though, so perhaps it'll be a complete non-issue for me.

By the way, thank you all for your suggestions thus far - I appreciate your efforts.

Ryan

14. Garage Dog

Garage Dog TDPRI Member

You may want to keep your eyes open for a Muddy Waters telecaster.
    Before I bought mine I checked Ebay, GC used inventory (national search),and Reverb on a regular basis.
    I ended up finding one in mint to excellent condition for $599 at a GC. a few months ago.
    Good Luck in your quest

15. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Many here, including myself love the vintage spec Teles but another option would be a used Am Std, they are available with a RW board.

If you go the used route, assuming you can't find something local, search the GC used gear section and have it shipped to the GC of your choice. If it is not as described etc, you can decline it at no charge and you have 30 days to make sure you like it.

16. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

What Boris has is called a Palo Escrito Telecaster. They weren't made for very long, and no two look alike (the tops are all very different) but they are basically a MIM Classic 60's with fancy wood. Very nice.

17. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Classic 60s new can be found for $675 in the USA, MIM Standard Satin $425-$450..

18. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

You can find a used American for that price.

19. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

If you go on ebay you should be able to find an American standard/series with a hardcase within your budget. The best part is that if you decide to sell it you should be able to get all your money back out of it.
    I also think the G L tribute series are an incredible value.

20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the Classic 60s, that and the Wilko Johnson one I have. The Classic is the best guitar I've ever played. I like those satin standards, they're a limited run though aren't they? FSR?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.