1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Tele vs. Strat "Cut through In The Mix comparo" ever seen.....

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telemach_1, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Telemach_1

Telemach_1 Tele-Afflicted

2. SatelliteOrders

SatelliteOrders Friend of Leo's

3. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

But you also need to consider that the man playing the Tele is none other than Albert Collins!!!His fingerpicking technique was very aggressive.Also,it is his show...he's the frontman and leader.Debbie Davies was hired to primarily be second fiddle in the band...mainly rythym duty.She is not there to upstage the boss.

Albert was also known for playing loud...he would crank that Fender amp wide open and he wasn't afraid to set the treble high....you definetely felt him.I agree that a Tele is a wonderful guitar to cut through a mix with...particularly the bridge pickup.I play both Teles and Strats....Teles win in the bridge position but a Strat wins in the neck position for presence in the mix.That said however,I do enjoy the Strat bridge pickup and the Tele neck pickup in certain applications as well.I think each guitar excels at certain types of music...for me one is not superior to the other.

4. Telemach_1

Ha Ha,..I didn't even said a word what I like better. Everybody is going to make his own opinion anyway.
    But as we're at it, I'm w. you on most what you said. But I don#t think Mrs. Davies was obliged to keep it low when it was her turn for a solo. Albert is too good to be competed by anyone anyway. There is one situation in the video where she turns back to her amp and cranks it up. Off course there is the sound guy who is in the chain too, but all in all the result is quite typical IMO. At least that's what I've experienced w. my Strat and my Tele.
    I've seen Albert twice in the late seventies and mid eighties. ....
    What did you say? Oooh! Sorry,....yes you're right, the man (was:() LOUD. All up to 15 on the twin.
    I often play w. my bare fingers too. It's not louder than w. a plek. In fact it's less and you have to crank up the amp. to compensate for that. That's probably how it came to be w. Albert Style.
    IMO there's no doubt that the man stands out w. his natural tremolo on the string. Many players make usage of master volumes and stomp boxes which is a different tonal quality. I don't know if Debbie Davies used a master on her Marshall but her tone is different for sure. To my ears it's more scratchy, more compressed and w. less expressionism than she would have been sounding over a classic SF or BF plain. She is a wonderful talented player, no doubt. It's just that I think that most players would sound a lot more expressive straight through an amp. I'm probably biased and it probably all melts down to my own personal preference.
    There was this guy "ST" who dropped into the jam last night. Some Dr. John, Cpt. Beefheartish ol' fart w. a voice like a bear. He played a Flying V over my plain Vibrolux and swept away everyone who was there that night. His minimalistic and expressive Albert King/ B.B. King style over that Fender amp had it all. It kicked all the young guys high tech toys into the dust.

What was the topic? ;) Sorry for my ramble. What I'm trying to say is that Albert wasn't much louder that Debbie Davies. he just played an amp and a guitar that allowed him to perfectly articulate each single note even if it was as subtle as lightning fast roll on and roll offs.

I used to play my Strat almost exclusively for many moons. I rarely used the bridge PU for solos. Mostly used the middle PU for rythm and the neck PU for solo. I stopped using the hybrid PU positions about two years after The Sultans Of Swing was issiued. This position has been and still is excessively overused.

The Tele opened a completely new gate for me. I have always loved the sweet airy tone of the neck PU and also love to play lead on the bridge PU. To me there is nothing more interesting than a Tele straight into a cranked up amp.

5. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

I read somewhere that Albert Collins used a Quad Reverb and dimed the Volume, Mid and Treble controls. Didn't use bass. It was in an interview with the iceman way back in the day.

Now tell me...who in their right mind would do that?!? He was a freakin genius, and my inspiration to buy a tele!!!! Funny guy too.

6. MarkJ

MarkJ TDPRI Member

Cocktail waitress at 1:38 definitely agrees!

7. Telemach_1

Eh???....LOL, you give them gals an eagle eye. Hope your wife is not reading.;)

8. MarkJ

MarkJ TDPRI Member

Eh?? I'm sure my wife is OK with me me pointing out a girl (or dude?) wincing from the volume.

9. Chewy

Chewy Tele-Meister

Lol priceless. Honestly Albert "my favorite" King is louder than the drums, the horns, everything in that clip.

I just never understood why his Tele wore a T-shirt.

10. DGDGBD

DGDGBD TDPRI Member

I saw Albert Collins a couple of times many years ago, and man did he crank the treble. It was ice-pick territory and not enjoyable to me.

11. Happy Tele

Happy Tele Tele-Holic

I guess I dont get it as they both sound good in the mix.

12. Telemach_1

Oooh!!, So she's reading. Sorry M#me, I was kiddin' :p

13. Jahmbie

Jahmbie Tele-Afflicted

Buddy Guy approves of both!

14. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Here in Austin is a guitar player I know(Ray McCarty)that played with Albert in the 1970s....he was his rythym guitarist.One night,he was telling me road stories about Albert Collins.He confirmed to me that Albert was always LOUD!!!!

15. BellyfullaTele

BellyfullaTele TDPRI Member

Whatever - I just discovered Debbie Davies!

16. Happy Tele

Happy Tele Tele-Holic

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I liked both guitars. Two things:

Albert Collins was not "Mr. Democracy" on the bandstand. That was his bandstand and he would not allow it any other way. (Think about that Duke Robilliard and Albert Collins Youtube - Albert completely calls the shots and he's the one in command of that stage. Lots of examples.)

But mostly the band rolled way back when Albert began to play and they kept right on going before that, whilst she was playing.

But I think the folks who put this clip together did a nice job of marrying things together. I bet if you were there you'd agree with the cocktail waitress. That man was Bringing It On!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  18. DGDGBD

DGDGBD TDPRI Member

Stevie Ray sure could cut through with a strat. On the clip, I'll bet if Albert Collins was the one playing a strat, he would cut thru in the mix better than the 2nd guitarist on a tele.

19. Happy Tele

Happy Tele Tele-Holic

20. Telemach_1

Here too, I think that jeff beck's Tele is cutting through way better. Those strat in between PU positions can get a bit flabby and diffused.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.