Best Tele Toners

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Jim Root?!
Not to put down Mr. Root's abilities, but I would hardly consider his sound to be "Tele tone".
Were you thinking about his work with Slipknot or his stint in Stone Sour?

Hell.. I wouldn't even consider his Tele to be anything but an EMG fuelled TSO.
fender-jim-root-telecaster-eb-fw.jpg

horseman308

Tele-Holic
Too many options in too many genres. Being a rock guy at heart....

Izzy Stradlin.
Rich Robinson.
Jimmy Page.
Mike Campbell.
Billy Gibbons.
Keef, of course.

Blues-
Tab Benoit.
Johnny Lang.

Jeff Buckley had a beautiful tone.

As important as guys like Burton, Buchanon, Gill and so forth are, their sound was something I had to grow into. Despite growing up in Nashville during the 80s and 90s (or maybe because of it), I hated all things country music and wanted music that was gritty, swampy, and angry in addition to being sad. So grunge, alternative, and blues was where it was at. It was only when I realized several of my favorite players used Teles at all that began to come around to where I am now.

effzee

Tele-Holic
This thread is a tone goldmine, lots of playlists ensuing!

But I think a lot of posts are straying from the tone theme and simply mentioning good players who happen to use a Tele (?)

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Marty Stuart
My favorite, and Kenny Vaughan ain’t too shabby either. Red Volkeart is on equal standing (and Vince Gill, Brent Mason, Brad Paisley, etc. etc). There’s so many great Tele masters out there, it’s an unfair question! All the ones mentioned are on my Tele-toner list actually.

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
This thread is a tone goldmine, lots of playlists ensuing!

But I think a lot of posts are straying from the tone theme and simply mentioning good players who happen to use a Tele (?)
I think you’re right. After reading that I went back and edited my comments.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
He is not my favourite player, though I do like him a good bit, but Jim Campilongo's tone wows me whenever I hear it.

Would also put the Iceman in there, even though it is far from a stereotypical tele tone.