Best Tele player ya ever saw live?

jaytee32

Tele-Meister
Albert Collins I saw a couple times, agreed, he was great.

Maybe the most impressive all-round Tele show was Chuck Prophet in NYC several years ago. Man oh man. Talk about chops, tone, and taste.

Galen1960

Tele-Meister
I'm new on here and I'd bet this subject has been done a thousand times, but I'll throw it out there again so I can add my .02

I grew up in Virginia and we used to wander into DC on the weekends to see music. I probably saw Roy Buchanan a dozen times and he was mind blowing esp for the late 60s - early 70s. Tragic how he died.
I also saw Danny Gatton some...technically maybe better than Roy, but didn't have that magic...IMHO

Mods - If there is a better place for this please move it. :)

I grew up in the east San Fernando Valley, CA. Around 1978 I had a couple of friends in a band I went to see at a Grand Opening party for a mortgage company in Toluca Lake. The business belonged to the mother of one of my friends. After their set James Burton came up and did a few numbers with them. He wasn't playing a tele that time, having borrowed one of the guitar players' Les Paul copy. It was a very nice intimate performance that I will never forget. It was no surprise really, one of my friends, the leader of the band, was Mr. Burton's son Jeff and the mortgage company belonged to Mrs. Burton. I knew who Mr. Burton was at the time, but being only 18, I did not fully comprehend the gravitas of his place in American music.

DrNickD

TDPRI Member
Jim Weider during a Masters of Telecaster show

I think Jim Weider is mine too. I lived in the same neighborhood in our tiny ass town growing up, and I used to ride my bike by his house all the time and listen to him practice. Only saw him gig once though, with a group who called themselves Enormous Johnson (!), that also included Chris Zaloom, who is also a pretty solid tele player in his own right.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I have to mention Will Ray too. I saw The Hellecasters play in the 90s and they Tore. It. Up. Plus points for the cheezy wardrobe--much like Mister Dave Lindley.

Leadripstick

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
I'm new on here and I'd bet this subject has been done a thousand times, but I'll throw it out there again so I can add my .02

I grew up in Virginia and we used to wander into DC on the weekends to see music. I probably saw Roy Buchanan a dozen times and he was mind blowing esp for the late 60s - early 70s. Tragic how he died.
I also saw Danny Gatton some...technically maybe better than Roy, but didn't have that magic...IMHO

Billy Gibbons. He makes it look like he's barely moving, amazing.

BengalB1956

TDPRI Member

I also saw Roy many times live and I’d say he was right up there as my favorite, but I also had the chance to see Mike Stern a few times also who is incredibly talented in a different way obviously. So different in their tablets but both great IMO.

WillDoux

TDPRI Member
Sometime in the 80’s, my band was playing a club in Bismarck, ND and were asked to play an opening set for Ricky Skaggs, who was appearing there on his way to the west coast. After our set we ended up sitting on a stairway that was no more than 15 ft from Ricky’s guitarist, Ray Flake. I had never heard of him, not being a country guy myself.

To this day, I’ve never seen anything like his jaw-dropping playing on that tele. You know, the kind of ridiculous technique and soul that was so unique and amazing we were all laughing, as were Ricky and the rest of the band whenever it was Ray’s turn to take a ride.

JBurton

Tele-Meister
Seen a few…in 1976 I was anxious to see my #1 Pickin hero James Burton with Emmylou Harris at The Palomino Club. Was disappointed to learn he left the band and was replaced by some vampire looking guy from England. Harris introduced him as Albert Lee. Lee started playing and my disappointment washed away.
Also seen Redd Volkert, Marty Stuart, Kenny Vaughn, Bill Kirchin, Jerry Donahue. Stuart Smith played a Tele real nice the times I saw him.

45 years later and I still haven’t seen Burton. Named my dog after him though, for whatever that’s worth!?!

Last edited:

DaveG

Tele-Meister
Clarence White a couple of times with The Byrds
Roy Buchanan once at American U.
Danny Gatton a few times at Childe Harold in D.C.
Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughn many times.

I'd throw in Big Al Anderson.

I was on a festival bill with Bill Kirchen once. amazing and hilarious

Somebody said Bruce... LOL!

russv

TDPRI Member
Albert Collins, he was supporting George Thorogood. He played great. I gave George 5 minutes then left, no comparison for me.

JBurton

Tele-Meister
Sometime in the 80’s, my band was playing a club in Bismarck, ND and were asked to play an opening set for Ricky Skaggs, who was appearing there on his way to the west coast. After our set we ended up sitting on a stairway that was no more than 15 ft from Ricky’s guitarist, Ray Flake. I had never heard of him, not being a country guy myself.

To this day, I’ve never seen anything like his jaw-dropping playing on that tele. You know, the kind of ridiculous technique and soul that was so unique and amazing we were all laughing, as were Ricky and the rest of the band whenever it was Ray’s turn to take a ride.
You ain’t just a whistlin dixie. Ray Flacke is killer!