Best tele neck pups for jazz?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dl Hattenhauer, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Cavalier Lion King a lot for a Grant Green type sound but have it off of the tone control and
    just set the sound with the amp controls.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  2. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

This one also might be worth a look. Some really good advice about how to have the Tele setup for jazz and also how to work the amp to complement the guitar as well.

SparkleFart, televillian, Geo and 2 others like this.
  3. old crow

old crow TDPRI Member

I’ve been watching John Schofield and wondering what pups he uses. ?
    I have Lion King. I can get pretty close, but maybe I need to lower it a bit.

4. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

People have different ideas of what jazz tone sounds like. I think a P90 works really well, especially a relatively underwound p-90. I've never been a fan of humbuckers

I have a homemade tele with a Lace Alumitone "aluma-90" in it, and i really like that pickup a lot for jazz, and it's dead silent. I have another standard tele with a lollar vintage T that I like a lot.

IMHO a lot of a good jazz tone is in strings, picks and attack, but beyond that a lot of jazz comes from the swing feel as much as anything else

PhredE likes this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

My #2 choice is a Telecaster N4 Noiseless pickup. My #1 choice is a Telecaster N4 Noiseless pickup in series with a Telecaster N4 Noiseless Bridge pickup.

6. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

You may be pleased with your present one if you turn the tone knob down a little, if you haven't tried that already.

guitdog1, PhredE and drlucky like this.
  7. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

The neck pickup in the Tele in my avatar is a CS Nocaster Relic that I got used off ebay 10 years ago. Gets a GREAT warm tone for jazz or blues with just a bit of twiddling the tone control, IMHO.

8. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Rob di Stefano (cavalier pickups) or the Fender AV 64.

That would be my choice.

9. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m Partial to Lollar Imperials - or their High-wind or Low-Wind models, depending on how much warmth and low end you want.

Timbresmith1 and Maguchi like this.
  10. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

Don Mare Big box sounds good demoed by Tim Lerch on Y-tube, or a CC. Biltoft or Lollar do ones to fit teles. Good luck.

11. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Quick method for jazz tone------install flat wound strings, use neck pickup, turn tone knob all the way down, slowly adjust tone knob until you find the sound you're looking for. The wonderful versatility of the Tele is a big part of why we love'em.

guitdog1, Pcs264 and Timbresmith1 like this.
  12. Willy-son

Willy-son Tele-Meister

I play a good deal of jazz, and the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover is great for that (see avatar).

Mowgli, Timbresmith1 and Maguchi like this.
  13. hectors-bell

hectors-bell Tele-Meister

Anything decent, roll the tone knob back and a boat load of practice;)

guitdog1 likes this.
  14. Area8

Area8 TDPRI Member

Definitely recommend a Harmonic Design pickup - can’t explain how much I love playing with those. Bill Frisell did a couple of records with them, sounded glorious. Maybe a little too hifi for some, but try ‘em.

15. CV60sTT-Dan

CV60sTT-Dan TDPRI Member

A timely thread. I just ordered new pickups for one of my Teles because I wanted a different sound for jazz. Reading through the advice, all good BTW, I see two schools of thought.

Some seem to believe you don't need to spend more money on pickups. One guitar, one amp, and one pair of hands are all you need for jazz or to get a decent tone (assumes a good amp). Take lessons, study, and fiddle with your amp settings.

The other group is all in on the mods. They give good advice on pickups and mods they think will work.

Both views are correct. I don't need new pickups to get a decent jazz tone from my Tele. I can fiddle with the gain, EQ, and volume and do pretty well. Lessons and practice are always good advice if your goal is improvement in technique.

But GAS and guitar mods are a separate thing which brings me joy, different from the joy I get from playing guitar or listening to music. I can do both.

That said, my new pickups are a shot in the dark. My MIM Player Tele is routed for a neck humbucker or p90 but I'm changing the pickups in my CV 60's thinline. I'm trying Toneriders. I've been thinking about P90s or CC in HB or P90 size for the MIM.

I'm sort of miffed over the pickups in both Teles. They're too good. I wanted to play with pickup swaps and it's difficult to move forward when the stock PUs sound so good.

Pcs264 likes this.
  16. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

How about a vintage noiseless?

17. Wooly Fox

Wooly Fox TDPRI Member

Faking jazz with a Creamery Charlie Christian (see my avatar photo) in my Fat Telecaster. I think you're limited in the standard Tele neck pickups though I can imagine anything low output would get you close to CC (think mine is 2.4K).

Depends what end of the Jazz spectrum you're aiming for, traditional jazz or jazz fusion or something else entirely. I think the main thing you need is great clarity for those dense chord voicings and some touch sensitivity for when you need to accent rhythms. The CC does this for me though at heart I am a sax playing faking guitar....

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

I have a Seth Lover PAF in the neck of one of my teles. I love it. Nice and beefy. But dials back for a very nice jazz tone.

Kmaxbrady and Willy-son like this.
  19. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

A normal tele neck pickup, or the series position on a 4-way is already a pretty cool jazz sound!

Otherwise, I bet a mini-hum would be a good fit.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. Walden

Walden Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have that one and love it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.