1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Best" Tele Bridge Pup & Neck Humbucker Combo?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by dual_tone, Apr 17, 2009.

1. dual_tone

dual_tone Tele-Meister

wondering what some experiences people have had....

this would be for an ash body, nitro, and one-piece maple neck.

thanks!!

2. Sugarfoot Rag

Sugarfoot Rag TDPRI Member

I had a great setup, a Harmonic Design Vintage Plus and a Gibson Burstbucker #2 (which was a little on the hot side at 8.5K). If you want a lower output PAF the Burstbucker #1 is around 7.6K.

3. Stevie Two Shoe

Stevie Two Shoe TDPRI Member

Kinda depends what your shootin for......but since my obsessive mind is always thinking about these things and I like the idea of a Fralin unbucker neck pup. You would then have the option of splitting it and getting a bit hotter than usual single coil sound, And even if you don't it is a great humbucker. As far as bridge goes there are too many choices but something that balances with the bucker would be important. Fralin Vintage bridge is a good option, as is Lollar or Novak because you could request a specific output and they are all outstanding. I think if you went unbucker 8k then a 7.5-8k bridge would match well for Volume.... :D

4. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I've really liked my stock MIM Tele's bridge pup(I think they are Hot Fender Telecaster) mixed up with a GFS Minibird minibucker in the neck, I usually go for a classic 60's country type sound , but I also really like a lot of sounds from Rolling Stones records and older soul records, the minibucker isnt muddy at all, and I get a great variance with the tone and volume controls on the guitar, plus I was not a big fan of the middle position on the telecaster, now I play there a lot

5. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

Best combo I ever used was a S.D. Broadcaster bridge with a Seth Lover in the neck, they went together beautifully.

6. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Any opinions as to which humbucker would go great with a Keystone bridge pup in an alder body / maple neck Tele with vintage 6 saddle bridge?

7. BillyGutPuncher

BillyGutPuncher TDPRI Member

I've found a very versatile combo is a Suhr bridge coupled with a Duncan Vintage Mini-Humbucker SM-1 in the neck position. Just the right combo of spicy biting highs and deep creamy lows. I've found the middle position is absolutely perfect for rhythm in many, many genres.

8. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Alnico 3 neck humbucker wound to 8.5K
    Alnico 2 Bridge single wound to 9.5K
    with 500K tone pot or a 250K no-load tone pot

9. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

Seth Lover/Broadcaster, 59 or Pearly Gates/Donahue

10. 62_Inca_Esquire

62_Inca_Esquire Tele-Afflicted

"Best" is completely subjective.

"Best" for who ?
    "Best" for what style of music ?
    "Best" for use with what amp ?

Even with more information, the "Best" for me could be very different from the "best" for you. Look at the answers in this thread. So far people have suggested Harmonic Designs, Suhrs, Duncans, GFS, Keystones, Fralins, and Fenders ! That alone should tell you that there is no "best" combo for everyone, and that this question is truly unanswerable, at least with any accuracy. The choices may be able to be "narrowed down", but you are still going to find a lot of variation in peoples answers.

Details of what you are looking for (with regards to setup/amp/style/tones you like/etc) will definitely help narrow things down a bit though.

11. Stevie Two Shoe

Stevie Two Shoe TDPRI Member

Exactly right.... when you ask that question be prepared for a million answers that probably won't help you narrow it down. I will say one benefit of working with a custom winder like Lollar, Novak, Mare, Fralin (etc) is that you can tell them what you like and even send them sound clips.....to get a pup that is made just for you.

12. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

I have to agree with Inca_62_Esquire. Best is determined by what tone you're seeking and, after that, by finding a balance between the neck and bridge. I've been struggling with a standard Tele in the single coil bridge and humbucker neck configuration for a while. I'm really happy with the bridge tone, but the neck is just overpowering, so I'm thinking maybe a mini-humbucker.

I'm starting to think I'd have been better off going the Custom Tele route where you have separate tone & volume controls for the pickups and have the option to use different capacitor values. Live and learn I guess.

Good luck in your quest.

13. BlueJim

BlueJim Tele-Holic

I'm currently struggling with pairing a bridge pickup with a Seth Lover neck. For me "best" is more a question of what people found compatible (or what didn't work would also help). This is a Peavey Tele clone. The Seth Lover sounds really nice alone and the original bridge pup sounds ok alone. But I want to have one guitar instead of two half-guitars that share a body if you know what I mean. I play a lot of stuff but lean toward blues. If I had something that worked really well with classic rock I might try to play more of it ;) I'm not wedded to any tradditional sound and have considered stacked humbuckers in the bridge.

Any ideas help. I'm certainly going to think about the Lover/Broadcaster pairing proposed.

14. Mike03

Mike03 NEW MEMBER!

I was about to start a similar thread. I've got a squire protone tele with rosewood fretboard.

I'm considering dimarzio pups: PAF classic or 36th anniversary PAF in the neck with a pull tone knob for single coil mode and a True Velvet in the bridge. This will be played through a Budda Twinmaster 10. I don't want a super bright bridge sound and the True Velvet seemed like it would be appropriate for this purpose.

Can anybody comment on this combo from experience or educated guess? Does it make sense to stick with the same brand for better tone compatibility?

Thanks!

15. ToneDeacon

ToneDeacon TDPRI Member

I have a Pearly Gates in the neck and a TwangKing at the bridge :D in my Tex-Mex Tele special. 500k pots was added as well.

What Chrismo posted is a good starting place.

I also like the BurstBuckers and may try an SD broadcaster in the bridge of my current setup eventually. Hey experimenting is fun!

Don't forget a good bridge and saddles can do wonders for tone as well.

Next addition for me is a Fat Tele neck.

16. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know about "best" but I'm really enjoying a vintage wide-range bucker at the neck with a harmonic design vintage plus in the bridge (and 500k pots).

17. Whiskey_Joe

Whiskey_Joe Tele-Meister

I use the lil' puncher in the bridge, and a hot nashville overwound, both from GFS, in my electra rock n soul. i love the combo of the two.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  18. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on the JD / 59 combo. Pure Keef goodness.

19. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

Is everyone using 500k pots (tone & vol)?
    What caps are you using>

PB

20. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I use 500k pots and .22 caps. A little brighter and louder on the bridge, but I pretty much only play on the neck pup of my Keefcaster ( 5 strings only ).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.