Best target for 1st bass??

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
My wife plays bass and has gone through an assortment over the years. If your wife is petite like mine, you might consider a slightly shorter scale Fender Mustang PJ. It is her favorite, even though she has had more expensive basses. It is an MIM, so buying used would be very similar to buying a used MIM tele/strat.

526THz

Tele-Meister
I have a 5 string Sire Marcus Miller v7 (natural swamp Ash, 1st gen) and it's a great bass. V7 is probably high target vs. Your budget, but V3 is more affordable and they say very good too. I bought mine as b-stock (20% off) from thomann and it was near perfect. I think there is plenty of used too.
In my opinion it is worth trying to find one, as it is a bass that is designed to be affordable, but potentially the instrument that you could use for your entire life

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
I was going to suggest a SX from Rondo but his prices have gone way up into Squier/Ibanez territory since I bought mine, so not so much any more I guess. I think I paid $129 for mine and it has been great, but for $225...meh, may as well look at something else. But. if you see a used one or something, they are not too shabby. I got the 30" Short scale just for recording with, since I am not really a bass player.

If you/she is into short scales, this Ibanez 28.6" looks great for $179, or a full scale like it?

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
My wife is potentially going to give learning the bass a shot. If she doesn’t I’ll still use it to record with. I’m assuming since the Squier Classic Vibe guitars seem to be a great bang for your buck model, that it would carry over to basses.
Would anyone say that’s true and/or offer advice for a first time but quality model? My wife really likes the classic Fender styling.
Budget COULD go up to $500 but would prefer to end up around $350-$400.
We already have an amp to use for now.
Used Peavey basses are really good deals, built solid and sound great.

Downsman

Tele-Meister
I play a JMJ Mustang bass in my band, and started with a Squier Jaguar Short Scale, and then a Fender Mustang PJ bass. All are excellent basses. Tge Jaguar is discontinued, and I've not tried the Squier Mustang but heard good things about it. I much prefer short scales, and sold the P bass I picked up thinking real bassists need to play long scales. I mostly play guitar at home and switching back and forth feels easier with the short scale. And the Mustang has that cool 60s Fender style. You can see Tina Weymouth playing one in the Talking Heads Psycho Killer video.

Maroonandwhite

Tele-Meister
Not to sound like a wise acre, but have you folks hit some shops to play a bunch? My gut says get the one she likes the most.
I like a P Bass. We are not married. Listen to her.
We plan to go this week one day to look at a few. Of course she doesn’t know what she would be looking for but I’ll be able to feel the quality and probably get a sense of playability. She can pick the look. Within reason of course. I think she is wanting something classic like a solid retro color or a burst.

kodiakblair

Tele-Meister
Why do guys always suggest short or medium scales basses , with a slim jazz neck to be extra patronizing, for female players ?
Among upright players that kind of talk would have you run out of town on a rail :D

Most of the female players I know just play what they want , many chose 35" scale 5 strings.

All the OP needs to do is pay for whichever bass his good lady wants , she will take care of the playing part.

Being petite never stopped Suzi.

ac255617c767c6211d6777778640cf0d.jpg

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Find a great local guitar tech who can do fretwork. This is the most important piece of your purchase process.
Spend $100 on a full fret level and setup and you'll have a Custom Shop playable guitar.

Make sure the guitar is a P-bass. Second pickup or a second guitar could be a Jazz bass but the studio folks really want a P-bass for the tones.

Scrounge local used Craigslist and FB Marketplace in your budget. Have the guitar tech go over it. I have a Washburn I paid $40 for about six years ago, it just needed a setup (although I did mod it by adding two more pickups to it for extra fun ... JPJ).

Order a Glarry or Harley Benton bass new. Have the guitar tech go over it -- quite possible it only needs a setup to preferences.
The Bass forums were going crazy buying Glarry basses a while back because they couldn't believe how good they played nor how inexpensive.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Why do guys always suggest short or medium scales basses , with a slim jazz neck to be extra patronizing, for female players ?
Among upright players that kind of talk would have you run out of town on a rail :D

Most of the female players I know just play what they want , many chose 35" scale 5 strings.

All the OP needs to do is pay for whichever bass his good lady wants , she will take care of the playing part.

Being petite never stopped Suzi.

ac255617c767c6211d6777778640cf0d.jpg
Suzi's done a great series during lockdown.

Quexoz

Tele-Meister

Because we prefer them? Just as an option in case she might prefer one? Nothing to do with male/female BS, just because it's a friggin' option. I use one because bass is not my main thing and they're a PITA for me to play when I'm used to guitar. Even after playing my short scale bass for a while, my guitar feels like a kids toy when I switch back.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I like Classic Vibes...except for my bass experiences...I prefer Sterling Stingray. I went with the short scale model because of a shoulder issue and space constraints. They are a better bang for the buck. IMHO
SingRay.jpg

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Really the best advice is to go out and try out a bunch. Even if she can’t play a note yet, she can get a sense of what “fits” (neck profiles, scale length etc). You can look them over for QC issues.

are you able to get out, or were you planning on an online purchase?

I feel like Squier CV is a solid choice, G&L tribute, Ibanez TMB and Yamaha BB are all good as well.