Best Tablet/Software for Playing Gigs?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Radspin, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Hope this is the right forum to ask this question:

What are the best tablets and software for reading cheat sheets and music on gigs? I can't stand the look of a music stand onstage but I'm at the point where I need something to look at onstage...too many songs to commit to memory. I don't need to read sheet music...I just need something that will display a cheat sheet with lyrics and chord symbols on top of them.

2. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Microsoft surface pro.

Does anything you want it too same as a PC.

All your studio/writing software work in it.

Edit: you can also use powerpoint as a timed teleprompter with BIG print. Great for us old f**rts wearing trifocals

3. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

If that is all you are looking at a tablet for there is no need to spend a lot. You could pick up an Amazon Fire HD 6 tablet for $99. There are cheaper tablets that would do what your looking for but I'd at least stick with a known brand.

The MS Surface, iPad or high end Android tablets would be a complete waste of money unless you were looking for something for other uses as well. Although the Fire HD can be used for just about anything else you'd need a tablet for.

4. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I have a Surface Pro. I love it because it is a normal PC.

But being honest an Ipad does have more audio programs and accessories. I would still choose a Surface Pro but it does take a little more time to find the same type of software.

5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I don't use anything and our bass player writes notes on the side of his bass. But the other guitar player and our drummer, who also sings, use Kindle Fires and they work very well. They have an app that has an adjustable scrolling function - forget what it is -- but they love the things. Just -- and this is aimed at our drummer, it's always the drummer -- remember to charge the thing before a three-set gig, OK?

6. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I just started using Set List Maker on my iPad for a new project. Still figuring it out, but seems to work okay. A friend of mine uses OnSong which seems to work about the same.

7. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Hadn't thought about a Kindle Fire. I'll look into it. All I need is something that will display cheat sheets...lyrics with chords over them...I don't even need something that displays sheet music, although that capability would be nice.

8. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

I've been trying an app called Perfect Guitar Song Book by Florian Drasbacher. Grabbed awhile back on my iPad, so I don't remember if it cost a couple bucks or if it was free. Also don't know if it's good cross-platform.

It's easy to put song sheets into it and will change keys for chord notes if they're entered above the lyrics. Does set lists and has an adjustable auto scroll that seems to work ok. Different fonts and colors and appears to be a bunch of input output options.

I prefer to memorize songs but too often someone asks for something I haven't done in awhile, or often enough to remember, so it seems pretty handy. Might be one to look for.

9. joeybcdt

joeybcdt Tele-Meister

I am the most anti-apple person there is. I love windows and android.

That said......apple is "industry standard" for the music biz at the moment. I've had 4 or 5 high-end android tablets. They've all been trashed, except for my rooted Nook Color which serves as my bedside clock.

My wife's mother still uses my wife's ipad 1. My mom's ipad 2 is still truckin. I have an ipad mini 2 that is my personal device and an ipad air that I use for band / studio. All the other android tabs were trashed.

Apps..Guitar Tapp, android or ipad.

10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Are you writing your own cheat sheets ? I am guessing you are, as many of us do....doesn't matter, even if you getting them from the net, copy / paste , photo,scan etc...into a work program such as word etc...

And, obviously are you using an Ipad, ? sorry for the dumb question... You probably already know this stuff, but just in case...you don't really need an external app...

Do you not have a GMAIL account? If not create one, with that comes with GOOGLE DRIVE .

Create or scan your own charts or cheat sheets, on your PC or MAC, create a folder in your GOOGLE drive, or several folders...I happen to have several different folders for various things, one is for charts for specials gigs.

move or copy those charts or lyrics to the appropriate GOOGLE drive folder

sync ( sign in ) your Ipad to your google account

Open DRIVE on your Ipad

open the folder where you stuff is...

save the file locally to the IPAD

get one of them IPAD mic stand clips, get the better one...around $50

take it to the gig, don't forget the Ipad

No more music stand required...ever.... Oh and don't forget to change the screen time on the Ipad to something greater than the 2 min default...or you know what will happen !

but if you already knew this..never mind !:!:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  11. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

T Prior, thanks, I didn't know any of that. I have a Mac laptop and desktop but don't own an iPad.

I make my own cheat sheets in Word. I can see an iPad would also be useful in pulling up an online cheat sheet if I was at a gig and someone called or requested a song I don't know...notwithstanding the fact that almost all Internet chord/lyric sheets have errors!

12. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Radspin, ok, good, you don't need an Ipad, Laptop is fine. I didn't know any of this until just a few months ago ! It's so simple it's stupid !

t

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.