best surf spring verb?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by KC3CDU, Jul 19, 2016.

1. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

greetings -
    i am looking into a spring verb that will have to get me that surf sound. i'm looking for that over the top ping that's attributed to surf.
    i know about the danelectro spring king but i wonder if there isn't anything out there? i know that there's the tech21 boost RVB and the faux spring reverb from wampler which i'm not a fan of as it's ping pings wrong. do you know of any that's say 150 dollars?

and in case you are wondering, i've worked with the faux spring and i'm not impressed. i actually own it and am thinking about sailing it.
    any help is appreciated.

shalom

2. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Posted in error - Sorry... Wish you could delete these things...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Even with all these new reverb pedals on the market, the best one I've ever heard for the "ping ping" you're talking about was the Digitech Digiverb. Could probably find one used pretty cheap. Maybe their new reverb pedal, the Polara, is as good on the spring setting?

Everyone says the Topanga is tops, but you'd have to shop around awhile to find one for $150 used....

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Hard to beat the Boss FRV-1. I was a big surf guitar player and used it for years. I did a shootout of three pedals to choose from to expand from just surf. The Super Spring Theory will give it to you with a bonus of room verb plus trails. A sleeper on my mini grab 'n go board is the Mr. Black Deluxe Plus which has tremolo as well.

Rverb pedal &board 2016.jpg

davey77 likes this.
  5. teletubby25

teletubby25 Tele-Meister

Electro Harmonic Holy Grail, I love the hall reverb.jmho

6. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I had high hopes for the FRV-1, but I found it bright and harsh...even with the tone control at 0. And digital artifacts (or something weird) in the tails. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It's funny- the FRV-1 seems to be either loved or hated- and that includes people who also own Fender tanks. Weird that it's a black or white thing....

7. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

I have both a Fender '63 reissue reverb and a Line 6 M13 pedal. The "drip" that is so much a part of surf is close on the M13, usable for sure, but not quite as rich or deep as the drip I can get on the '63 RI.

I understand that he Fender stomp box is supposed to be really close as well.

One problem with the pedals is you cannot kick one to get that great "wave crashing" sound ;-)

-H

8. Modern Saint

Modern Saint Tele-Meister

I have both the TC HoF and the Boss Fender '63. I have fallen in love with the '63, that is where I would go.

Obsessed likes this.
  9. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

A 1966-69' Fender Reverb Unit - Solid State Series is currently on its way to me. It was about the same price after shipping as a mid-range quality spring reverb pedal, and that was from a Reverb.com seller. I'll let you know how it sounds once I get it. Hard to beat a real tank.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1468988774.371721.jpg

GreatGaudy and bacongrease like this.
  10. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

Catalinbread Topanga.

vashondan and FiddlinJim like this.
  11. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Surfy Bear, but there's a small amount of DIY.

TelecasterTweet and gee. like this.
  12. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

The Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Stereo Reverb is the best I've heard.
    Loaded with the Lexicon algorithms, it's the one digital reverb pedal that allows you dial in extreme settings in "Spring" mode and not get that awful metallic ringing that lesser digital reverbs always exhibit.

Unfortunately, Digitech discontinued the pedal. I believe their Polara pedal uses the same algorithms. If I was in the market for another reverb pedal, that's the one I'd go for.

13. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

the fender tube reverb unit reissue ... outside of that, the surfy bear reverb

14. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

There's tons of discussions and comparison videos at the SG101 forums. I'd definitelly suggest checking them out.

From my experience the best pedal to get is the real thing, the 63 fender reverb. Almost identical sounding is the Surfy bear kit, which is a miracle of technology and by far the best bang for the buck. Some DIY involved as another poster said. Danelectro Spring King is so-and-so, for the same money I would go for the Surfy Bear. I found the Boss FRV very harsh. When you listen to a recorging with that pedal it can sound awesome, but when you play it in person it sounds very uninspiring. I've also used the Hardwire RV-7 for some time, very good overall reverb but you'll need real springs IMO to get the true sound.

15. brown meadows

brown meadows Tele-Meister

Zoom MS-70cdr has a great spring reverb on it....plus a bunch of other stuff. Surprisingly good.

16. Serenity23

Serenity23 Tele-Holic

+1 Catalinbread Topanga.

vashondan and TelePrankster like this.
  17. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

that digitech pedal you pointed out sounds pretty good and pinggy.
    do you know if there is a pedal that can give me the over the top ping that's just a spring reverb pedal or do i have to purchase a verb box that does more then just the verb i'm looking for?

also, the tepanga sounds great. i think i spelled that wrong but hopefully you know what i mean. problem with it though it isn't pinggy enough.

shalom

18. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

doesn't ping as much as i want it to do.

shalom

19. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

hey there, actually there is one that you can. check out the spring king from danelectro.

my problem with it is it doesn't give me the over the top ping i'm looking for in my reverb.

shalom

20. KC3CDU

KC3CDU TDPRI Member

explain please.

shalom

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.