Best sub-$500 acoustic guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Tomm Williams, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

New or used ?

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Are you going to mic it, or do you need an acoustic/electric?
    A good acoustic/electric is a Epiphone Hummingbird, the on board electronics are superb.
    Actually Epiphone makes several models with the same system, either of them should sound just a great.
    Good luck.

3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I really like my acoustic (brand name) Lead Series G120DSP (120w, 2x12). It is their biggest combo amp, but they also have smaller sizes. My specimen retails street price at $299. It is uber clean sounding, almost too clean for solidbodies, and certainly loud enough. I am betting it would be awesome on an acoustic guitar.

4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Fishman Loudbox Mini

5. Tomm Williams

I was referring to an amp for my acoustic with on board electronics.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

My mistake.

7. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I don't have much experience with acoustic guitar amps. I have an older 30watt Crate CA30DG... one of those green ones. I got it cheap ($40) on Craigslist because it didn't match the décor of the seller's living room. I know a couple of guys that use them for gigging, but I'm not that impressed with it, so I wouldn't recommend one of those (unless you can get it for $40). I have never gigged with it, in fact I seldom use it at all... I use a DI box direct into the PA.

I also have a Boss Katana 50, which has an acoustic setting, and I think sounds better than the Crate. The big advantage there is that you also get a decent electric guitar amp and all sorts of effects, so you might want to check those out.

ASATKat and Digital Larry like this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

That is the answer right there. They really sound great and are very affordable.

bsman and LGOberean like this.
  9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I really like my older Behringer Accoustic Amp. The reverb and chorus sound fantastic.

10. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

Another vote for the Fishman. A couple years ago I went to GC and tried everything they had in that range, and the Loudbox Mini was an order of magnitude better sounding than any of the alternatives (IMO). So I bought one, and since then it's been great.

bsman, Milspec and LGOberean like this.
  11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Half a dozen years ago, my son-in-law decided to try and learn to play the guitar, and figured maybe his family might get excited about it and want to learn too. So he bought a Takamine acoustic/electric guitar. I don't remember the model #, it was in the range of a $500 guitar. So that Christmas of 2013, I bought them an Acoustic AG30 amp, an acoustic guitar amp. I really liked how that amp sounded, so in August of 2014, I bought myself the next step up, the AG60. It's a closed-back, 2x8" 60 watt amp that sounded good, but was heavy as sin.

Just days after I bought it, I had a heart attack, and two days after that, quadruple bypass surgery. I wasn't going to be able to gig for months to come, and I certainly didn't need to be schlepping that heavy amp around, so my wife returned it for me. It sounded good, though.

I'll add my voice to the Fishman chorus. That would be my recommendation. I bought mine 3 years ago, and have gigged with it just about every week since. The amp's no bigger than a breadbox, weighs less than 20 lbs., and yet is a 60 watt amp that is surprisingly loud, and sounds darn good.

Milspec likes this.
  12. Buttered Biskit

Buttered Biskit TDPRI Member

I always liked my fender champ. It's simple and sounds great miced into a sound system if needed.

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Boss Katana 50 has an acoustic mode in it's switching system.

14. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The Fishman amps sound good, and so do the Marshall AS50 and the Vox VX50AG. If you're a vocalist, check out the Boss Acoustic Singer line of amps which can create vocal harmonies of your voice which sound incredibly realistic. They're simply amazing.

15. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Behringer XR12 digital mixer with a B112D powered speaker.

16. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This, without a doubt.

17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I have one someone gave me. I use it as a monitor sometimes. I don't really like acoustic guitar amps, but it works fine.

18. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Do you need a microphone input?

Dan

19. Tomm Williams

Not really but options are always nice.

20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

-My Fishman Loudbox Mini wasn't bad. I ended up less than satisfied with it though. I wished it had a way to open the back up, was a bit boxy sounding if I wanted to play the archtop electric through it also (which I do)
    -My Roland Acoustic 40 was a touch better, but very much the same.
    -Since then I bought a Fender Acoustasonic 40 cheap that isnt bad, but still not what I want.
    Everytime I plug the archtop or acoustic into one of my small tubes amps it's just a far better sound.
    I dont know the answer yet. But I am chasing it. What the world needs is a simple small, light, open back tube amp with an XLR line out, and XLR mic input for acoustic. Maybe 10-15 watts.
    I think a Super Champ XD combo may be close.
    I might try this this weekend! My backup amp with a 10" EV speaker!
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.