1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best strings?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Tuto103, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

I've now come across two of your posts (the other one on a home recording thread), and I gotta say, I like your attitude towards gear snobbery. :D

-Gnobuddy

2. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

I basically agree with you, but I can say that I have run across at least one case where a different brand of strings fixed a very audible problem - and it was a problem that could not be fixed by playing technique.

To be specific, a year ago I bought a 5-string bass, a Yamaha RBX 375. With the stock strings from the factory, there was a distinct and dramatic change in tone between the 5th string (low B) and the other four strings. The 5th string had a much duller and more muffled tone than the other four strings. This was true whether that string was open or fretted.

This was a big problem, as it pretty much invalidated the whole point of having a 5 string bass instead of a regular 4-stringer. Every time I crossed over to that low 5th string while playing, all I could hear was that sudden change to a duller and less distinct tone.

I searched TDPRI and found someone else who had asked for help with this same problem (dull sounding low B string). One of the people who responded said that switching to La Bella M45 HRS strings cured this problem for him. (These strings: http://www.samash.com/p/Labella_M45...rd Electric Bass 5 String Set 45128_-49968087 )

Well, he was right. I got a set of the La Bella M45's, put them on the Yamaha, and the problem was gone. The low B now had the same tone as the other 4 strings, just at a lower pitch.

My Yamaha bass is lightly used, so that same set of strings has stayed on the guitar for over a year now. They still sound good, so I'm in no hurry to change them.

-Gnobuddy

3. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

Don't forget, that 1/2 rounds (or flatwounds) have more "material" than roundwounds! The diameter of roundwounds also includes the "air between the roundings" ...

Someone who normally plays 105 roundwounds should first try 100 1/2 rounds and not 105 ...

Okay; the Fender flatwounds are (were? now by d'Addario?) special flats.
    But the 90 Fender flatwounds feel like 100 oder 105 roundwounds.

But this is different from brand to brand!
    I have 105 Maruszcyzk flatwouds on my two (Poland built) Maruszcyzk basses - and these thrings feel like norml 105 roundwound strings ...
    www.public-peace.de

My 5 string bass has d'Addario 1/2 wounds with 100 e-string - and that's great ...
    I would also recommend them for a P bass ...

4. Immo

Immo Tele-Holic

Its Maruszczyk (spelled Mah-roosh-tshyck). Trust me, I'm Polish :p

5. gndboy

gndboy Tele-Meister

The "Half-Rounds" are hard to beat. Very meaty, and long lived. Good intonation, and a decent "ring" with the attack. RotoSound roundwounds just eat the frets and ruin your instrument from my experience with them.

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks. I have TI Flats on my P-Bass right now, but I think I'd like a little more zing without going to rounds. I don't know what guage the TI's are. They were on it when I got it. Starting with a 100 set makes sense.

7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

There's really no way to answer that question. It's like which brand of car is best or which brand of ice cream is best. We all have different ideas of what best means. To some it's tone to others it's tension or feel and still other base it on how long the strings last.

You'll find that every brand of strings has been a raging success for many and an utter failure for some as well. There is no such thing as a best overall. Only what's best for you, your tastes and your pocket book.

Go to bassstringsonline.com and read the reviews many have posted about certain brands and types of strings. There and the strings forum at the TalkBass site are great places to search out answers to your question. :)

8. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

There's no visible air space inside the string wrappings, no matter what you might read. Cut open an old roundwound and look for yourself.

Because the flat outer wrap takes up less space, flats often have larger cores than rounds of the same diameter. And since the cores are solid while wraps aren't, they weigh more, and tension is determined by the weight of the metal. Hope that makes sense.

But as you said, it's not necessarily so. Depends on the particular string brand.

9. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

TI Flats are an odd size set. The long scale ones are 43-56-70-100. The medium/short scale set has a 106 E. They are very low tension. They are also way too midrangey for me. Most other flats will have more top end zing.

The closest to roundwound zing will be compressed rounds. GHS Pressurewounds, Ken Smith Compressors or SIT Silencers. They are zippier than ground rounds such as D'addario Half Rounds or GHS Brite Flats.

But to me, compressed rounds and ground rounds are the worst of two worlds. I've tried most of 'em and can't stand any of 'em. JMHO, YMMV.

10. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

Rotosounds are best overall. That nice thick core wire keep 'em lively for a while and makes them quite hard to break (been playing 31 years and never broken a bass string, but there are guys who can and do). In a pinch I'll use Markley Blue Steels, they're not bad. If I were doing a recording session and needed absolute world class tone, it would be Rotosounds under most conditions although the DR strings sound unreal - but bring two sets as they are not at all consistent. And they don't last long.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.