1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best strings?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Tuto103, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

I like TI Jazz Flats on my Jazz, and D'Addario EXL170's (nickel wound 40-105 Round wounds) on my Precision. I use DR nickels on my Warwick 5 string.
    The D'Addarios are consistently good, with a strong piano quality, and the TIs are pricey, but they last almost forever.

2. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

Fender bullets are guitar strings. This is The BASS Place.

I disagree completely with your last sentence. Different strings can make an enormous difference in sound, especially on bass, and it has nothing at all to do with how much you play and how good you are.

3. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson Tele-Meister

Well said, and absolutely objective as well.

4. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

My experience is that different basses react different to the same strings.
    Great on one bass and sh*t on the other ...

A medium thing between flats and rounds are halfwounds ...
    A have a set of d'Addario ENR-71 Halfrounds on one of my basses and it sounds good.
    A friend of mine uses one of these strings sets for 18 years now without changing. :eek:

This might be a present for your nephews or nieces, too - even if they are not born yet. :D

5. Epidrake61

Epidrake61 TDPRI Member

I think a lot of strings are made by a few manufacturing facilities and they just put different names on them.

6. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

That's an old myth kept alive by music store clerks who want to sell you what they have in stock instead of what you want.

There are more brands than factories -- which is true of just about any consumer product -- but there are at least a dozen string factories in the US and many more overseas.

7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I've wondered that about the new Fender strings that have d'Addario colour coding.

8. Immo

Immo Tele-Holic

Cause, yeah, d'Addario makes strings for Fender. And they're branded 'Fender' and packaged into 'Fender' boxes...

9. BobHolland

BobHolland Tele-Meister

I just started trying GHS Pressure Wound. A couple of my Bass playing friend suggested I try these. So far really liking these. Been using Ernie Ball round wound for years & years. Strings are a personal preference. Trial & error is the only way to find your favorite.

10. Immo

Immo Tele-Holic

Just ordered Rotosound TruBass 88's. Can't wait to try them out!

11. bargeon

bargeon TDPRI Member

Interesting choice. All wrapped stings are fat, but those are fatter. You may need to have your nut slots filed out a bit.

Give them some time to break in and let us know what you think of them.

12. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

I Don't Know About These Days

In the late 70's I was given a tour of the GHS plant. Just me & Dave Holcumb going from room to room with him explaining different processes and procedures. When we got to the packing room he said, "Now you can't tell anyone what you see in here, we have a lot of contracts with various brands and they don't want it to get out that they aren't actually making the strings that go into their packaging". That said, he did go into some of the differences between the different brands that he showed me that day. So, it is possible that many of the strings are made in only a few factories but they're still made to the specifications laid out by each individual brand.
    As for my preference(s) I lean toward GHS & D'Adarrio for both bass and electric guitar. While on a trip to the States in July I stocked up on acoustic strings and the jury is still out at the moment. Right now I have a set of Dunlops (12-54) which really surprised me compared to the Pyramids that I tried. Though I haven't found D'Addarios to be all that pleasing on acoustic but am really interested in how the Flat Tops are going to perform. I have a set of half-rounds (ENR70) on my bass and they're the best of both worlds IMHO.

13. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

It is very subjective, rather like socks really ...

With my PV T40 it's a case of which strings fit a 34-in "long" scale with a long tailpiece and string-through fitting, without the silk wrap being over the nut ? = Thomastik.

14. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

I had Pyramid flats on my Hofner Beatle Bass and loved them. I have also used GHS flats on it and they were great, too. I had Ernie Ball flats on my EB3 bass and GHS flats on my short scale fretless and Fender tapewounds on my Squier fretless Jazz bass. I really see no reason to try other strings but I may see what else is out there when I need to change them.

15. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Daddario 1/2 rounds. I like the sound and feel.

16. User Name:

User Name: TDPRI Member

DR "Pure Blues" for sure. I was never partial to any string manufacturer before trying DR's. My personal experience with them is that they last longer, bend easier, and are more ear pleasing. The Tite-Fits are great strings too, and I tried those first, but the feel of the Pure Blues is what I look for in a string.

17. natrontheape

natrontheape Tele-Meister

Agree. This is all I use. I get the occasional bad string that won't intonate but the tone is so good I'll just buy another pack. Nothing else is even close for me.

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

What guage would you suggest for a P-Bass?

19. PVTele

PVTele Tele-Meister

I use 45-105 on mine, but it's very subjective, and your taste might vary according to the string. (I use Rotosound Jazz Bass 77's (monel flatwound) on my '70RI P-Bass with an American Vintage pup set. Very much an old school sound :D )

20. Panheadless

Panheadless Tele-Holic

+1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.