1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best strings?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Tuto103, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Tuto103

Tuto103 Tele-Meister

Hey which are the best BRAND of strings...overall

I dont want different types like flatwound or jazz etc.. just the Best brand out there?

2. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

That's a totally subjective thing!

I personally use and like GHS strings. I've also used Thomastik-Infeld and Pyramid strings and dug them profoundly. But there are certainly plenty of great strings that I HAVEN'T tried, and I'm quite sure that folks will chime in with what they like.

And none of us will be wrong, because it's a totally subjective thing!

Tim

3. Mrsamlki

Mrsamlki Tele-Meister

D'addario for sure. I've tried Ernie balls and ghs and neither of them last as long or keep the new string shine as long, and they sound uh-mazing. But that's just my 2 cents.

4. Tim Armstrong

Do note that this question is in the Bass forum, so I suspect the OP is asking about bass strings...

Tim

5. Immo

Immo Tele-Holic

My favorite brand as for now is Rotosound.
    Thick, solid, indestructible strings. They make perfect flatwounds.

But my favorite particular strings are Fender Black Nylon Tapewounds. Nothing sounds and feels like them, it's like touching wool, not bass strings, while the sound is warm and unique.

6. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I use Elixer strings on everything i own

7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Fender flats have worked for me, but then again I didn't spend too much time searching either... Never had a reason to.

8. Tuto103

Tuto103 Tele-Meister

yep! im a guitar player..my sister plays bass.. and i wanted to get her a simple gift

9. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

I like rotosounds on everything personally but thats a really subjective question

10. Tim Armstrong

Okay, what kind of bass does she play? Do you know whether she uses roundwound strings (most do) or flats (a few of us old-school types)? What style of music does she play?

And most important: how much are you willing to spend?

:D

Tim

11. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

Totally subjective.

My favorites are Ernie Ball rounds and LaBella flats.

12. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I use D'addario, but all of the strings mentioned above are fine.

13. Immo

Immo Tele-Holic

If she's in for the oldschool playing, I'd really give those tapewounds a try - they're soft, deliver nice, quite vintage sound... and look classy. :cool:

14. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

I always played Ernie Ball pure nickel 11-48´s.But after a friend told me to try Pyramid´s(same gauge - same material) is was shocked....they sound the same, but just half the price....now i can change every two weeks my strings and spending just a little more than 3,- Euros....great!

15. bkief1

bkief1 TDPRI Member

16. claudel

claudel Tele-Afflicted

Sort of like "Best Underwear" or something.

I love Maxima/Optima Golds for bass. They're nice and articulate without being too bright.

They're expensive, but finger oil and dirt have trouble sticking to the gold wrap so they last for years...

Haven't bought tapewounds since Beggar's Banquet was new. Don't care for them.

Hopefully the wrap stays on the new ones better than it did back in the day... :rolleyes:

17. twangster2

twangster2 -----------------------

Fender bullets.

There I said it, strings are strings are strings..

The more you play and the better you become the less "brand" is an issue.

18. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

I alone know the best brand. Everybody else is just wrong. I don't know why they even bother playing.

19. Immo

Immo Tele-Holic

Hey, we just point out the brands each of us considers best, thus they are our favorite. As long as we point out some arguments, there's no prob :p
    But there certainly is no objective truth about which strings ARE the best in the world. I guess it would even be much easier to point out the WORST strings then the BEST ;)

20. bargeon

bargeon TDPRI Member

Always fun to compare notes on strings.

I've used several brands over the years. My own bias is toward nickle rather than steel but I'll take flats or rounds depending on what I'm looking for. I tend to the P-bass side of the P-to-J sound scale.

You don't hear much about SIT, but their "Sileners" are a good variety of "pressure wound" . Strings for guys that like the sound of rounds and go crazy over the sting noise. Solid sound of rounds just a tad on the dark side. Comparable in their way to GHS. I think they probably do a better job on 4s

I've had GHS Boomers and Brite Flats on my short scale and wound up favoring the Boomers. Hard to go wrong with them.

I just put a set of Sadowsky Black Label Light Rounds (nickle, naturally) on my 5 and can't imagine liking anything any better for clarity, punch, zing and general modern sound.

I love TI flats and absolutely cannot stand D'Addario Chromes though I know a lot of guys swear by them. In fact I've never had much luck with D'Addario, so it's clearly me not them (a good company by all accounts)

The Labella tapes have a permanent place on my fretless. I've tried the Roto 88s on there ( Very different animals those are), Fender tapes and TI flats. The Labellas win hands down.

Never tried any DRs and I'm curious. So next time my wallet reaches critical mass and I have some time to experiment . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.