Best source of drums for non-drummers?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Tippy

Tippy TDPRI Member

I just got into EZdrummer and I find it to be very decent sounding, for the price. I recommend the "Nashville," cuz in addition to room and overhead miking it has a compression feature.

I do some crazy stuff for "realistic" drums. First of all, I write all my drum parts separately, no looping. To do this, I have used "complete score" transcription books where the drum parts are notated so I can mimic a drummer. Fortunately, a couple of my favorite bands have these.

These are especially great for creating realistic rolls, 'cuz I can just "copy" them into my track, meaning I transcribe them from the book into the project. I use Sonar 6, which a pretty simple MIDI staff tool. I also have dabbled with Band In A Box, and created my own styles with rolls, importing that track into a project. And yes, this is very time consuming...

"Thinking like a drummer..." Great line and very true. For me, this means varying the velocity of the notes played (particularly the high-hat and snare) and making sure there are no "three hand" parts going, like the high hat clicking while a roll thru the toms occurs.

2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

EZD has a measure alignment issue within Sonar when copying/pasting into multiple measures, but it can be overcome. The issue is that EZD measures are not actually a full measure long and Sonar wants them to be. There is an easy method to correct this within Sonar. That being said, EZD is an excellent tool and I also use it. I think the bigger picture is we, as common guitar mortals, can spend too much time with drum tracks. Along with EZD ,I have samples from PROSONIC studio's, excellent samples , thousands of them, but no organization , no way to find the "one" that you need. I did just purchase the Drums on Demand wave sample set for Country/Pop, it appears to have an organized structure so you can at least find a pattern or fill without spending the whole day searching for it. Sonar has some excellent wave samples provided for Session Drummer, just not enough of them, if you want more, add $150 !

Like Tippy above, I write and modify drum measures from EZD and even BIAB but it is just way too time consuming, I want to listen to a nice sample and drag it into the project and have it sound good. If mediocrity is all we are chasing then BIAB will do that and then some. Write a BIAB track, edit the drum track somewhat to get rid of the "goofy" fills , make a midi or wave track, dump it into the PC Host program or move it to the Workstation and be done with it. Keep in mind that with BIAB, you can pan hard left and hard right so keep the drums hard L or R to keep them separated from the ref. track. If you are moving a stereo feed to a workstation. For example, send the stereo feed to track 7 and 8, 7 can be drums alone, 8 will be the ref. track. When resident on the workstation, center them both, they are now both separated mono tracks. If you send a midi biab file to a PC host program , it will arrive as separated midi tracks. Delete the tracks that you don't want and there ya have it a drum track which you can edit or not.

I am hopeful that after speaking with the support folks at Drums on Demand that the $39 for a XXX amount of samples I purchased will do the trick, and if some add-lib editing is required EZD can fill that need.

regarding "think like a drummer" that couldn't be more true. A great way around that is to listen to a few tracks ( songs) that are similar to what your project may be and " learn" the drum phrases and fills, more often than not, the song drummer will be 50% less busy than what we are thinking.

Years back my keyboard buddy was at the house and we were talking about keyboard patches and how we have come to a place where we can edit /modify to our hearts desire. He said to me, and it is very profound,

"We now have two choices, we can spend all day writing/modify patches or creating music"

heck, I'm not trying to write the next Rock Opera , I just wanna play Buckaroo !

tp

3. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

I noticed the same thing dragging and dropping midi patterns from Guru and importing Groove Monkey general midi files when I was using Sonar 6 hs.

Easy fix like you say but I don't get this glitch using Sonar 7 se. WHat version are you using?

4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Sonar 7 and 8, after reading about this topic on several forums it appears there is some sort of a disconnect between EZD and Sonar as many folks are discussing the topic. But it can be overcome. The issue of alignment is not seen in all samples programs. EZD is one of them and I am not sure if there are others. The primary issue as I mentioned above is that many of the EZD samples are not actually a full measure, they are something just short of a full measure.

Here is a YouTube video from dustpuppy regarding this issue within Sonar. This youtube user has multiple Sonar tutorials. I used this technique yesterday and built a simple track successfully in just a few minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5GL_Csv7vA

tp

5. trag-o-caster

trag-o-caster R.I.P.

Excuse me for hijacking, but does anyone know why the OP - Bruce, AKA TheGoodTexan, has decided to delete a whole slew of his threads? Apparently he's decided to leave the board with no explanation. I snooped around and I didn't see where there was a problem anywhere.

Does anyone know? He's a good guy, and has been with us for a long time (over 5000 posts). I hate to see him go. Especially with no explanation.

I hope whatever it is - it blows over soon, and he comes back.

6. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

OT too: TGT was often a highlight of my day. but he'd been going through some rough seas ... Bruce, hope everything's OK with you and yours.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.