best sounding reverb for the money?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by stacker22, Apr 9, 2015.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

The Hardwire RV-7 appears to be discontinued. Never tried one, looks good

I also like the Tech21 BoostRVb a lot. It has a sort of "dirty" quality that makes it more effective for me. I generally like small amounts of reverb, small enough so you don't really notice there's verb, and the BoostRVB makes that easy to get

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

You can find them easy on GC used, Reverb or eBay in about 5min for around $100. I bought mine that way even though they were still in production at the time, no sense paying more than you have too. Their built like tanks.

3. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

The EHX Holy Stain has excellent hall and room reverbs, plus volume, tone, and bright/warm/dark toggle. It also has a decent tremolo, but the OD and Fuzz aren't so great. $115 new and worth it just for the verb. Much less used and easy to find. On the downside its about the size of two Boss pedals.

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I have one. Great pedal! :cool:

5. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

I use the Supernatural... best spring reverb in a pedal I've ever heard, plus it has several other cool reverbs as well. I especially like the modulated plate reverb on there.

But for the ultimate bang for your buck I'd go with the TC HOF Mini.

6. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for the Catalinbread Topanga. It's designed to sound like an old Fender outboard reverb, and for my ears and hands, it really does. I'm a bit of a spring reverb junkie, and so far, the Topanga is the only pedal I've tried/owned that I really liked a lot. It'll sound great with a bassman.

7. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

A Bassman already has some built in reverb due to the size of the cabinet and baffle board - as do all tweed Fenders. So, unless you're really into a specific sound for your reverb I'd agree with those who've already posted about the Holy Grail. I have the Nano version - very small pedal but the spring and hall settings give almost any type of reverb tone I want with my 57 Twin RI, EC Tremolux and Ampeg GVT 15 (which has built in reverb which I normally set at very low levels just to give the tone some substance when the reverb pedal isn't switched on.)

To test my statement about tweed amps having 'built in reverb', plug straight into the Bassman and strum one chord. It'll ring out for around 15-16 seconds which is effectively the amp's built in reverb tone. Other amps just don't have the same 'reverb quality, to my ears.

8. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

+1 - best I've tried. I use the mono version.

9. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

TC Electronics, the model is the T2............

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Ouch. I'm hearing Jimmy Dean laughing in the background.

I see another reverb pedal in my future ... :rolleyes:

11. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

I use an ART MR-1 Reverb Unit on my pedalboard & I place it after my Moen GEC 9 looper/switcher in case whatever amp I plug into doesn't have the Verb. It has 16 choices of settings. I set it, & leave it alone. Great unit!!!! I think I got it 2+ years ago for like $40-50 USD on eBay. I would not even consider getting rid of this unit. I like it a lot.

12. Jiverson

Jiverson TDPRI Member

To me, the best spring reverb is that in my Princeton Reverb. So, when I went hunting for a pedal that could do that with my non-verb amps, I went through quite a few. I don't know if it helped or hurt that I A/B'd all of them with the Princeton's verb, but here's what I found:

The first reverb pedal I owned was the Holy Grail (nano). Never had a problem with it, but figured something better must be out there.

Tried the Spring Chicken and thought it wasn't quite right. Sounded a little too bright and artificial (again, compared to the real Spring verb).

Tried the Wampler Faux. Seemed like it tried too hard to emulate the springy, drippy noises (and did a less than great job) and I couldn't dial that out.

Bought the Topanga. Love this for it's flexibility. It surfs and it also can darken up a little thanks to the tone control to get pretty darn close to the verb in my Princeton. The only downside is that there are just too many knobs for me. It's reverb for Pete's sake!

At the end of the day, guess what—I find the Holy grail is the closest to the Princeton Reverb verb. It's also the cheapest of the bunch and only has one knob. Idiot proof. I didn't like at first how it kind of bleeds away and buries your signal as you turn it up past noon, but I find myself using that as it's own effect now.

Disclaimer: Never tried the Wet, heard good things, but it's probably out of your budget anyway.

13. Swoop

Swoop Tele-Meister

Topanga.

14. stacker22

stacker22 TDPRI Member

I tryed out a couple, read all of the suggestions about witch pedal to get and at the end of it all that I picked up Holy Grail sound was good and what sold me on it was the simplicity and size of the little white box....it pairs nicely with my OCD and LPB 1 boost still working out ideas for the speakers that there is a good chance I will replace in this old pine box covered in tweed so simple plain Jane looking tweed bassman I've had numerous combo's over the years bogners ,marshalls, other fenders genz Benz , and the list goes on but I must admit this reissue has me by the short and Curly's. Simple tones I get out of this every time I plug in to it I find another incredible tone too experience. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

15. stacker22

stacker22 TDPRI Member

After all the suggestions I made a choice I ended up with Holy Grail the size and the simplicity of the little white box was the closer for me not to mention the tone was prefect for all my needs. for me Paired together with fulltone OCD , LPB1 reissue 59 Bassman LTD the reverb box was the missing link. For my bedroom rig still working out issues with the stock Jenson Speaker's but Rome was not build in a day. But I have to admit that every time I plug in to the pine box covered in tweed I find another incredible tone to experience and explore I doesn't seem to stop giving me a new avenues to explore and sending me chasing for that perfect tone again again thanks again for all the ideas and suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  16. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

+1. I use one of these and it is remarkably versatile for the few basic settings most people need: basic reverb, reverb with short delay, slap back.

17. AlpineHillbilly

AlpineHillbilly TDPRI Member

Topanga or Spring Theory.

18. NoStairway

NoStairway NEW MEMBER!

I'm one of the few people that just did not like the Supernatural. The spring setting is the only one I thought was decent, but I have a Fender Super Reverb so it was the one I would use the least. I have a Wet reverb and I much prefer it's modulated reverb than any of the Supernaturals. All the weird settings just seemed too gimicky and clouded up my tone too much even with the mix down.

I just returned one to Prymaxe the other day, so I guess I'm just ranting about my latest disappointment.

Agreed on Holy Grail and HOF mini for bang-for-your-buck pedals.

19. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

Not getting the joke or reference - because I'm European?

Care to enlighten me?

20. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

THIS.
    Believe me, I tried a lot of spring reverb pedals and this is the best I found. At least, for now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.