Best solo albums

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Steve 78, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I like the second one too !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blowtorch likes this.
  2. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Wicked as it seems, the best stones song in the last twenty some years !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blowtorch likes this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Ronnie's first solo effort was pretty good too.

4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I liked I Feel Like Playing

Greggorios and RodeoTex like this.
  5. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Afflicted

Paul Weller!

xland likes this.
  6. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Afflicted

Robert Wyatt too

Mid Life Crisis likes this.
  7. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Steve Gaines - One in the Sun

Absolutely excellent from start to finish and shows how diverse his writing and playing was.

brookdalebill, Owenmoney and Jim622 like this.
  8. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great Music - That was so much different from Skynyrd. Their next album would have been in a definite new direction. The man had soul and chops. Just recently acquired it. What a find!

9. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Decent album, but at least his third solo record.

Here’s one from I’ve got my own album to do

Cheers,
    Geoff

RodeoTex likes this.
  10. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Without looking at what others have posted, a few of my favorites:

Jerry Garcia: Garcia and Reflections are both really strong records. He also did a double CD live album in the late 80's, I think it was just called Jerry Garcia Band, that I also remember liking a lot

Ace Frehley: is first solo album from 1978 was fantastic. Really showed how much talent he has.

Brian May: circa 1983, he made a record called Star Fleet Project, credited to "Brian May And Friends". The friends here were REO Speedwagon drummer Alan Gratzer, Rod Stewart's bassist Phil Chen, studio keyboardist Fred Mandel, and on guitars were Brian himself and some nobody I never heard of named Eddie Van Halen. (I'm being facetious of course I know who EVH is) Anyway, the record unfortunately was just an EP, with I think just three tracks on it, but they were great. One of the tracks was a cover of the theme song of a Japanese produced sci-fi show that Brian's son liked, with an extended jam on the outro. Supposedly, the album was recorded virtually live in the studios, with I think only some vocal overdubs. They even kept a bit where one of them broke a string during a solo, and another bit where one of Brian's amps stopped working in the middle of the take.

Steve Howe: His first solo album, Beginnings, would have been a great record, if he had gotten someone else to do the lead vocals. Fortunately, he has gifted us with quite a few solo records where he doesn't sing or keeps it to a minimum. The Steve Howe Album, from 1980, has only two vocal tracks on it (and one of them is sung by someone else), the rest of it is instrumental, it's exactly what you want from a Steve Howe solo album. His 90's era albums Turbulence and Quantum Guitar are both fully instrumental and both are fully fantastic. The live albums Not Necessarily Acoustic and Pulling Strings are also great too. In the 21st century, he made a great all acoustic, all instrumental record called Natural Timbre, which I also recommend.

Chris Squire: his first solo record, Fish Out Of Water, is another record that is exactly what you want from the musician in question, in this case, an album where the bass guitar is pushed to the fore in the mix. Some of the lyrics a little wishy washy, but the compositions are in general great, Squire's vocals are very strong, and his Fender bass is the main melodic instrument carrying most of the record.

John Entwistle: I really only know Too Late The Hero, the one where he's posing with one of his custom built Alembic basses on the cover. The band for the record is basically Thunderfingers, Joe Walsh, and Joe Vitale. The songwriting is maybe a little inconsistent, but again, it's that bass playing to the fore! It's worth it just for the opening song Try Me.

Trevor Rabin: I have his first, eponymous, solo album, and I think it's great. I remember when I first heard it, in the late 80's (after it had been out for a decade), that's when I realized he was the reason why 80's Yes sounded the way it did. Great, though pop oriented, songwriting, great vocals, and fantastic guitar work. I just wish Getting To Know You Better (the opening track) didn't fade out as fast as it does.

Anthony Phillips: I don't know if Ant Phillips is really "known" for his time in Genesis. He was one of the founding members, played on their first two albums, and one of the primary architects of their original sound. Anyway, he's had a long string of solo albums starting with The Geese And The Ghost in 1977. He's done a series of albums called Private Parts And Pieces (up to 11 volumes, I believe, last time I checked) and a number of other great records. Another favorite of mine is the synth based 1984.

RoyBGood likes this.
  11. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Fellow Face Ian McLagan covered it on his first solo record, Little Troublemaker.

I think I prefer Mac’s version.

Cheers,
    Geoff

RodeoTex and Greggorios like this.
  12. xland

xland Tele-Meister

Nice! Empty Glass and White City for me. Empty Glass was the second album I ever bought, right after Who's Next and just before Live at Leeds. I think I started off my album collection pretty strong, IMO.

Greggorios and kplamann like this.
  13. xland

xland Tele-Meister

Amazing, amazing album.

Workbook.jpg

Manual Slim and GGardner like this.
  14. beachbreak

beachbreak TDPRI Member

Main Offender is good too!

Owenmoney likes this.
  15. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

"Laid Back" - Gregg Allman

[​IMG]

16. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

For me that's easy. The first Jerry Garcia solo album Garcia. I actually like it better than Workingman's Dead or American Beauty.

I agree, but why not link the whole lp?

joealso and Manual Slim like this.
  17. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

18. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

19. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever

20. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Don Henley - The End of the Innocence

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.