Best Small wattage British amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mattdrink73, Apr 10, 2016.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

2. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    1974x all the way... and it can get louder than you might think!

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'll agree with the 18w Marshall suggestions but prefer the TMB clones.

For your 30-40w desires there are 36w versions of the 18w Marshall, but IMO better still is a pair of 1x12 18w TMB so you can crank one or both or even switch between one cranked and both turned down a bit.

I've owned several Plexi 100s and early metal panels, and when the Orange AD30 hit the states my local shop got them in. After trying them out a bunch another guy traded his RI JTM45 2x12 combo in on an AD30 2x12 combo.
    I could have bought the Marshall for I think $700 but the Orange just killed it, so I bought an AD30.

The 18w TMB is to me the best versatile vintage Marshall type sound, and there are tons of hand wired clones kicking around.
    I would contact Ceriatone and see what options they have, or look into local builders and used clones.
    I have 18watters from Lil Dawg amps, a Weber build, and a Ceriatone based build.
    While boutique builders can wring more out of this basic design, the TMB clones are IMO ahead of the 1974x, and really are killer amps for the money.
    Try them with a Gold instead of the typical GB speaker and they are much louder and less mushy in the bass.
    A 1974x with a GB only hints at what a good TMB with the right speaker can do.

4. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

For Marshall 18 watt amps in the UK there is obviously the Marshall 1974x and Ampfix make the original 17 watt Watkins Dominator 2x10 and the same circuit Watkins Westminster 1x10....the Cornell Plexi 18/20 can switch down to 5 watts.
    Also Flynn amps/Rift amps/Gartone amps have offerings in the ballpark and of course Matamp.
    Friend had a Cornell Plexi 7 and it was a great baby Marshall and also has a Cornell Romany.....simply great amps.
    Hope some of the names and information helps in your search.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

You could always get an Ampmaker P1800 kit - an 18watt with all the cool boutique mods for it inc. jcm800 like cascading gain. I love mine.

Great all British kit amp. Sounds incredible, great tone controls and a VVR and will run in 5w single ended mode too.

Just need some electrical theory & safety sense and soldering / multimeter skills

www.ampmaker.com - not affiliated just a happy customer.

With a greenback its solid, but with a celestion blue it's just wild! Celestion Gold would have more headroom.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  6. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

I would get a Fryette Power Station and run it with your Marshall.

Your Attenuator, may not be really good at REALLY lowering the volume, but the PS Does Work at very very low output.

IMHO the Hotplate is only good for small db reduction at best. The PS drastically reduces the volume, but reatains your original signal.

Don't take my word for it. Research the reviews. There are literally 1000's on Gear Page and other sites. Id say less than 2% are negative, and its not because it doesn't do as advertised.

But if you don't mind lugging your Marshall around.. ( wouldn't bother me a bit ) Id check into the PS. I wouldnt give up your amp for almost any reason, other than if I really needed the money.

The PS is also a 1 watt - 50 watt reamper, and has 1 of the best effects loops money can buy.

You can take a 5 watt Champ, and if you have the right speakers, and impedance match make it up to 50 Watts, and it retains 100% of the sound of the Champ.

You can also use the PS as an amplifier, if you have some kind of Preamp.

The PS is also 2 x 6L6 x 1 x 12ax7.

Buing a PS would even be less costly than a lower watt amp.. Although the PS IS a 50 Watt Power Amp. You will be getting a new Power Source.
    Hook up an Effectrode Blackbird up to it and you have a new amp.

But theres no way in heck Id get rid of my Marshall if there is a quality alternative.

7. mattdrink73

mattdrink73 TDPRI Member

Cheers guys, I definitely do like the look of Matamps, and Cornell's seem to be popping up a lot, there's a couple of Romany's on eBay that don't look too bad. Whilst the 1974x does look awesome, the lack of EQ and MV puts me off slightly, though I have seen clones with these but they don't seem too easy to get hold of over here. I'd love to keep the Marshall (I'm not 100% on selling it yet), gigging with an attenuator means bringing various cables and is a pain to set up when you don't have your own tech, hence why a combo entices me. It seems like a Matamp with a 2x12 or a 1974 clone is the way to go though.

8. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I have a fantastic 18 watt Marshall clone/copy that has a MV and TMB tone stack. All handwired in the USA and sounds wonderful. These can be had for not a lot of money if you can find one. VHT Standard 18

Attached Files:

9. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

10. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

65 amps London (or pro) crazy good sounds if you can turn them up loud enough

11. RiftAmps

RiftAmps NEW MEMBER!

+1 on the 1974, especially a TMB version. Lots of custom options available, no need to stick with the standard spec, especially if you're getting one custom built.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.