1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best small Combo Amp.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Digiplay, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

The only answer is the EVH5150III 4x12 100W straight cab, paired to the 5150III Mini 50W tube head, and massive footswitch.

It's mega watts, and it takes three men and a boy to haul it in and out of the gig.

But it pretty much meets all your stated goals.

Except for the 'small' bit.
    And the 'combo' thing.

But other than that, it's perfect.

:)

[​IMG]

donrichfan likes this.
  2. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

For more of a classic American rig, just one of these cool custom Fenders should work:

[​IMG]

Greggorios and Digital Larry like this.
  3. hotairguitar

hotairguitar Tele-Meister

May i ask if that Rumble 40 has a limiter? do your pedals sound ok into it or not really?

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  4. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

Fender Super Champ XD. I have an X2 and have never liked it as much. A speaker upgrade is good. The line out is 1/4". It sounds accurate but is a little bit too hot.

5. Stinger22

Stinger22 TDPRI Member

My 5:25 Express is 35 about like a DRRI. And has the 5-15-25 selectable wattage on EACH channel can go from the old Tweed amps like Clapton or at 25 with PLENTY of headroom for jazz. And then the burn-blues-crunch-clean channels.

Rocky058 and Tone Chase like this.
  6. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Same here.

2019-11-23 Super Champ XD.jpg

¾  inch baffle-.jpg

Greggorios and Rocky058 like this.
  7. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Bassbreaker 007, great little amps

Rocky058 and WhiteTubbyTele like this.
  8. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

At home, I play my Vox Cambridge 15 and a Rumble 15 (wet) in a wet/dry rig. Sounds great! Would have no problem using that rig on a low volume gig. Yes, if I can turn my AC15 up, it sounds better but in really low volume situations, nah. So try them together (you don't have to do the wet/dry thing), you might not feel the need to buy fancy pants tube amps.

FortyEight likes this.
  9. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

No love for Traynor here ?

My YCV20WR.

Traynor YCV20 II Front.jpg

Treynor and Tone Chase like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I forget who but there's a little story maybe about Buddy Holly running to his first audition with a Strat and a Tweed Champ.
    If you can't get across your songs and overall style with a Champ, it's not the amp!

Greggorios likes this.
  11. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

+1 on the Gries 5. Great amp!

Greggorios likes this.
  12. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I love my Traynor ,,,, but it is not what I need for the thing I’m doing at the moment. It will be back in the late spring, A great amp for classic rock and acid jazz.

13. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

@J-bass&Tele What does that mean "wet"? or "wet / dry" rig? I had the Rumble 25 for a a day and didn't like it for guitar at all. But maybe the 15 is better? The 40 sounds way better than the 25 for guitar IMHO, but still not quite what I'm looking for.

I like that, "fancy pants" tube amps. LOL. For some reason I do prefer or have the inkling to stick with Solid State. I think it's more of a retro thing than a good thing though. LOL. I personally don't like the idea of tubes that can go bad. Seems like just one more thing to dink with and throw money at. Especially if buying a used amp. Although admittedly I'm not sure how much a tube costs. I never had to replace one. And it seems like they don't go bad all that quick....

14. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I have the Tone Master Deluxe, and with the attenuator at .2 watts, it gives a great low volume sound

I've been jonesing for a smaller desktop thing, and been thinking about the THR30 ii. If anyone has one, would love to hear their opinion.

15. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

5A5835BC-3927-4B01-BDDF-5380C2A43E67.jpeg In my case, "wet/dry" means that my pedalboard have a splitter after fuzz/od/comp/volume pedal. One of the outputs on the splitter goes to the Vox and the other output goes to delay/reverb (wet effects) and then to the Rumble 15.

Some say that "wet/dry" means that the wet amp shouldn't get any dry signal at all. Oh well.

Greggorios and Mike M like this.
  16. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Gotcha. Thank you for that explanation. I'm a minimalist in my approach. I like an amp to have a good clean sound and a good distortion sound all on it's own. But, that being said, I'm open to experimenting. I do have a reverb pedal and I decided it's probably time for a delay pedal. Back when I played in the 90's I go so sick of replacing batteries all the time and relying on sounds in a pedal that I got rid of them all. A friend sort of "borrowed" my wah and said he wasn't gonna give it back cuz he had no money. LOL. I figure what the heck. I didn't have much more but his parents would take a lot of his money cuz they had financial problems. So his money went for bills when he was like 17....

Anyways.. I digress.. Old guy talk. LOL.

I think my favorite pedal is my chorus but I do need to final try delay out. I don't love reverb on a guitar too much. Sometimes... but not a lot.

What pedal are you using for distortion / OD. I feel like the rumble 40's distortion is a bit more like fuzz than Gain / OD. But it's got kind of a cool sound. I don't think the 15 has that built in though eh?

17. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

@FortyEight
    You're right, the Rumble 15 doesn't have a OD channel. Wampler Euphoria is my main OD, Honey Beest is another good one. A Klone into the Rumble 15 is good too.

FortyEight likes this.
  18. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

an old Peavey Backstage 30

19. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I have to say I'm still mightily impressed with my little 1980s Marshall Lead 20 SS combo. It just still delivers the JCM goods nearly 40 years on. I get a new amp and forget all about the little Lead 20 for a while, then I fire it up and I'm all "Dayum!!!" and then I play the snot out of it again for a while.

IMG_5953.JPG

Drink spill forever entombed on the grill cloth was from a gig at the Elbow Room in NYC sometime in the late 90's. Every now and then I think about changing it to clean it up a bit, then I come to my senses and leave awesome enough nostalgia alone. :twisted:

20. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

@Digiplay there are absolutes in life, but which guitar amplifier suits any given guitar player best is not one of those absolutes. When considering what features are needed for what applications intended, as well as the tone a guitarist is going for means this question can't be answered in the way that the title asks it.

Now, in your OP, when you ask "what's a good" amp in this "small, easily transportable" category, that can be readily answered. Even though it's been discontinued for almost 8 years and is hard to find, for my part, I'd say the VOX Pathfinder 15R.

It has a small footprint that works well for stage or studio, or on the back seat of your car driving to that buddy's studio. It weighs something like 18 lbs. The speaker is an 8" speaker, but is very efficient, and so it feels like it punches above its weight class.

It's a very warm sounding amp, and yet is capable of VOX AC tones (crunch and chime). Use the Line Out from the rear panel to a PA, and it sounds very good coming through the PA's mains. The extension out lets you go to an 8 ohm cabinet with a 12" speaker for a bigger sound.

Or you can practice with headphones. It has a Boost switch on the top panel, as well as built-in Tremolo Speed & Depth, and Reverb. It has a footswitch option (rear panel), allowing you to engage or defeat the Boost function, or the Tremolo effect.

And, oh yeah, it's as cute as the dickens and teles love 'em!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rowdyman and Honest Charley like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.