1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best small Combo Amp.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Digiplay, Nov 5, 2020.

1. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I have a Supro Blues King 12 that is a pretty decent grab and go amp. 15 watts, spring reverb, line-out and effects loop.

[​IMG]

2. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

I picture God with all vintage gear: Twin Reverb, Big-Muff, VOX Wah, and a Univibe. That's it. Jamming with him is fun, but he cheats and just tweaks his signal to sound like he's got other pedals... so it's a little annoying sometimes.

jays0n and loco gringo like this.
  3. Zoot Zoot

Zoot Zoot TDPRI Member

20201104_082753.jpg
    Laney LC15 is just perfect. I had one for many years and recently bought it a new friend called Laney LC15R - running them both via the stereo o/p from my Boss GT-5 gives a better room-filling sound.

GearHund likes this.
  4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I am purposely waiting until we get an equal amount if replies , amps, and pages. I know its never been done on the planet but I think we can achieve it.

Robert H. likes this.
  5. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

backstage.jpg

Michael A. and tubelectron like this.
  6. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

20200131_162955.jpg
    My favorite small combo amps...a Clark Harvard, 1962 6g2, 1960 5f1....I find that the Harvard and Princeton give me what I want in a small combo amp. I prefer the sound of a robust 10 inch speaker to a 12 inch speaker. Both my Harvard and Princeton have a vintage P10Q, with the original cone. They sound similar but I find the Harvard gives me slightly more clean headroom. While the Princeton gets more aggressive sounds, and breaks up beautifully. Both the Harvard and Princeton give me what I consider to be a beautiful clean " rings like a bell " sounds. I suspect these sounds come from the P10Q'S. The Q's larger voice coils gives more headroom and are more focused sounding to my ear than a 12inch.The Champ is pretty much exactly what you expect from a tweed Champ. Sounds beautiful and clean until the volume hits 4. From there on up, with the volume controlled on the tele, it's that beautiful saturation, creamy warm overdrive. My Champ does not sound boxy to me, it just sounds great at any volume. There you have it...3 great small combo amps....ymmv....

RJ

GearHund, uriah1, Twinkie and 3 others like this.
  7. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I dig my Goodsell Champton and FSR Pro Jr. In western tolex with 10 inch CRex speaker.

uriah1 likes this.
  8. Captain Krunch

Captain Krunch TDPRI Member

The Fender Bassbraker15 is very versatile and its got a lot of sounds, although it is a little heavy

9. oooogie

oooogie TDPRI Member

Just bought the the 12" Princeton limited edition and I love it.

10. wpod

wpod TDPRI Member

My drip edge Princeton Reverb or Clark Lil Bit LTD work just fine . Small footprint, readily portable and sound fantastic alone or together .

rjtwangs likes this.
  11. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

After having my Princeton for a few years now, Blues juniors and pro junior sound boxy and thin.

Princeton is such a nice amp.

Drew617 and That Cal Webway like this.
  12. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

My mileage does vary! What an enviable collection!

rjtwangs likes this.
  13. Tele Paulvalis

Tele Paulvalis NEW MEMBER!

I'm running a Peavey Classic 20 combo and a Vox AC4 together and it sounds good

14. SUNBEAMTIGER

SUNBEAMTIGER TDPRI Member

15. SUNBEAMTIGER

SUNBEAMTIGER TDPRI Member

Believe it or not, I'm with you on the Micro Cube!! Got an AC30 that if I want to play it in the house I need ear protection and my neighborhood looks like when Chong rocks out in Cheech and Chong's Next Movie! So the Micro Cube is my staple and its never, ever leaving!!

16. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Fender Pro Jr III and 1X12 cab loaded with a Cannabis Rex.

Michael A. likes this.
  17. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

You have just perfectly described the Reverend Billy F. G - Is Billy God now?

What happened to Eric?

Jeez, I can never keep up around this place. :)

18. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Having already recommended the Tone King IMperial II and taking another look at your requirements, take a look at the Tonemaster Deluxe, especially for your recording needs. Does everything else just like a DR, 23 lbs and the xlr out cab sims are unreal. I hadn't heard them before my first post, but they are really good, can be done with the onboard speaker muted and have a control for amount of signal sent. Could be an easy, light, fairly cheap answer. I am a long time tube snob but the TMs are unbelievable, especially if you will be recording with it.

19. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I second this.

Mine blows every pro jr/Bjr I've played out of the water.
    Line out. Good reverb. Likes pedals, but has enough on its own to do what OP wants. Its different enough from PRRI to not be excessive overlap, but similar enough to have similar characteristics if dialed to.
    Single ended 1×6L6 power section, very dynamic. Its built in FET style gain thing stacks good with Klonez adding unexpected versatility. I never bought footswitch. Still on the itinerary, but I'm itching to gig the 5E5, when plague protocols lift.

They're popping up used in the used Fender Jr range, but are loads better than those things. LOADS.

Break in the speaker. Figure out what the volumes to in relation to one another for recording.

Only other things I reccomend in its range of power and price have "...and build yourself a 1×12cab for about $100..."
    Such as Origin 20, TSA15H, Joyo Beale st, or a sketchily wired 5e3 clone head.

It lacks the ability to do what good 50w+ amps do, but that wasn't the ask.

Maguchi likes this.
  20. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

One more vote for a Fender Princeton Reverb reissue. Also like the '57 Tweed Champ (clone) a lot (with a Shure SM-57 mic in front of it if needed).
    Princeton.jpg Champ clone.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.