1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best small Combo Amp.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Digiplay, Nov 5, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm liking my Carr Hammerhead.
    Very light weight 28w 1x12 combo.
    Not a 5w dirt amp though, I'm not a fan of tiny amps that can't stay clean at any reasonable volume.

2. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Two best I've played and only I own are the Brownface Princetons and the modern Supros (1622rt)...great combination of size, weight, tone, and enough power for most things.

3. telemnemonics

Really, to go show the lead guitar player how you play the rhythm parts, almost any amp will do.
    Yamaha THR 10 or whatever it's called would do.
    No need for boutique or even tubes to discuss songwriting while playing.

Unless you want the other guitar player to check out your gear instead of your songs?

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Agreed. On an even more practical level, what are the chances the lead player does NOT have a spare amp?

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

Right.
    Or isn't this a recording studio?
    Gotta be a direct recording plugin and monitors?

6. Gas4Teles

Gas4Teles TDPRI Member

I've got an Allen Amp. He makes some really nice small amp. Mine is a Chihuahua which is a 1x10 10 watt amps. It is light (24lbs) so I can carry it on my bike to gigs. It is loud enough to keep up with a drummer. Unlike the small Fender amps it has both reverb and a master volume.

http://www.allenamps.com

Greggorios likes this.
  7. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Twenty years ago I would have recommended a Blues Jr because it was what I had and the consensus was it was a good amp.

Twenty years later, I wouldn’t recommend a Blues Jr to anyone. It’s amazing what years of experiencing other amps can do to readjust your judgement.

This is why you need to take these recommendations from strangers with a grain of salt. You need to get off your duff and try some out for yourself.

8. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

Vox AC10.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have no problem getting great sound and dynamics from a BJR for band use. Though I don't own one. They are nice, versatile, small venue/mic'd stage workhorses.

I would never recommend for home use unless they have a very tolerant family and neighbors.

Are you saying you wouldn't recommend because a BJR is too loud for this purpose or for other reasons?

Greggorios likes this.
  10. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

There's a thread on Layla sound right now, much discussed point. As for Joe Walsh... yeah, I've heard that too. Then again, you can see/hear him play at Daryl's house through a DSP 212. Still sounds like Joe Walsh 100%.

uriah1, MilwMark and Greggorios like this.
  11. rschiller

rschiller TDPRI Member

You may as well get the amp that God plays: an original Princeton-Reverb. Too pricey? A RI is close in tone.

An interesting solid state options is a Quilter 101 Reverb. Be sure to turn the mid tone near 0 and Bass and Treble around 5 with adjustments.

12. Twinkie

Twinkie Tele-Meister

What a great topic for discussion.

If an amp can’t be used for recording, it probably isn’t worth keeping. For the most recording has been my focus for God knows how long. Like, we are talking about the quest for tone.

Many of the amps mentioned in this thread are pretty decent for a blend of reasons. However, I have some reservations about the Pro JR and any of the reissue series that Fender has been manufacturing since the early 90s, Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb, Princeton Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, etc. Unfortunately, Fender could’ve done a better job at grounding the reverb line in their reissue series. They all pick up radio frequencies like the dickens. Not something you want for recording purposes. To address this problem you can wrap the reverb tank in foil and make sure the foil is grounded to the negative lead of both cable lines. The Pro JR also has major ground problems and pickups RF like a mother. Not sure I’d recommend buying that amp. I have an early 90s edition and never use because of its RF issues. I like the tone all these amps, but not the noise. Of all the Fender reissue series I’d recommend either the Princeton or Deluxe Reverb. Just ground the reverb tank.

As for vintage amps, I highly recommended a Princeton Reverb made between 1964 through 1982. No big surprise here, the vintage Fenders do not have the ground issues the reissues have. The vintage Princetons are pretty clean.

Another amp mentioned in this thread I would add a note of caution to is the Champ. Depending on what era we’re talking about, the Blackface and Silverface era of the Champ are pretty noisy. I have a 1975 Champ that my amp tech installed a choke out of Super Reverb to knock out the noise. Otherwise, I believe the previous era of the Champ had a hum canceling coil. I have a 1954 Les Paul JR amp that is 95% the same thing and it is super quite.

Another thing to consider in what one can do to make a big amp sound small would be using a different speaker. I have a 1978 Marshall 2204 that use with a 1x10 Ampeg loaded with a vintage Oxford 10J4. That combination of amp and speaker kicks butt for recording. I also have a 1x10 Marshall cab loaded with a 90s Celestion G10-25 and an Orange 1x8 cabinet I reloaded with a 4ohm Celestion. The latter I hooked up to my 1964 Vibrolux Reverb and it was smokin! The 10” Celestion I’ve used with my vintage Princetons and my Deluxe Reverb RI with good outcome.

One can certainly focus on the amp when looking for what would be good to record with, but the speaker might be something even more important to focus on. I really like recording with 10 inch speakers. That is my preference, Your’s make differ. Perhaps you might think your Deluxe, Super, Pro, or even Twin Reverb is too big for a given recording situation. Try hooking any of those amps up to a smaller speaker cab. You could save a lot of money by getting a small speaker cabinet over buying another amp. There are no mistakes here, only happy accidents. That is as long as you are matching the impedance and you’re being careful with the speaker you are using can handle the load.

Most of all, never give up on the quest for tone you seek.

Attached Files:

Digiplay likes this.
  13. Lend27

Lend27 TDPRI Member

14. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I bought a Quilter Mach 2 a few months ago and think it's fantastic.

15. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

or this MK3 (2).jpg

Stinger22 and McGlamRock like this.
  16. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Nice Mark III (?)!!!

Love those amps, but I would not call it small. They have to be at least 70lbs

bftfender likes this.
  17. IceGator8

IceGator8 TDPRI Member

I think it's really tough to beat a Matchless Lighting or a Dr. Z MAZ 18.

Tone Chase and SparkleFart like this.
  18. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Surely God doesn't play a PR, does he? He's God, for god's sake, so he can't have a bad back or damage his hearing. Plus he has angels to schlep his stuff. I would have to go with God playing heavy iron, a Twin Reverb or maybe a Marshall stack.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

God's got a really good PA and doesn't need a big amp.

loco gringo likes this.
  20. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

Super Champ x2 gives you a line out and decent digital effects, if that's your thing. Gets pretty rowdy with a boost and an efficient speaker.

That Cal Webway likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.