1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best small Combo Amp.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Digiplay, Nov 5, 2020.

1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Sure the Marshall 18W 1974 or 1974X RI is truly a great sounding amp :cool:, but I wouldn't qualify this as a "small combo amp" though o_O... I don't even speak about his loudness capacity : way over my SF PR !

Here's the 1974X RI of a pal side-to-side with my late 70s SF PR, for size and tone comparison (the stompbox put on the 1974X is a EHX Holy Grail Nano reverb) :

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln.

Twinkie, telemnemonics and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

EFBF47C7-C418-4128-A0C0-85701327F513.jpeg
    ^ This.
    The Laney Cub8 gets you in 6V6 heaven if you swap the stock speaker for a G8C and some good tubes (mine is also customized with a different grillecloth and a floating baffle, but that‘s a bit corksniffing).
    9B52E8AC-426E-4F42-A492-EFBAB8DD3CAA.jpeg Why?
    The small Laney sounds really similar to a vintage champ inbetween tweed/BF. Sturdy built, featherweight, bargain. A secret weapon for home/studio.

3. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yow ... well then hopefully digiplay saw your post; I watched some positive Lunchbox demo vids and saw artist endorsement ads, and assumed they are decent, but granted I haven't played one in person.

4. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

I've played a LunchBox amp, and, as much as I wanted to like it, I didn't. I still like the concept.

MilwMark and Old Plank like this.
  5. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

I have a Joyo Jackman plus cab. It’s the JCM800 model. It’s a cracking amp, and you can get some very convincing tones out of it if you push it right. It’s a blast.

I also tried the Joyo BlueJay, just couldn’t get on with it. It does the pure clean tone VERY well, but try as I might I couldn’t get the on-the-verge tone, even with a pedal pushing it.

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This is a beautiful photo.
    I'll take one of each please!

Below is my cheap and lowly Fender Frontman 25R I've been using on small gigs
    - I actually run with with a Bad Monkey either Clean ( using its MIXER OUT jack to improve amp EQ a bit even with OD OFF), or just a bit of Gain. And with it's real Spring Reverb +Boss Tremolo- this amp is my 'poor man's Princeton Reverb!' ( just can't afford the real deal, or RI's, and I don't want an SCXD)

Sounds very good with Epi SG ( with coil taps) my rig of 2020!
    * new Eminence Legend 1058- love it!
    20201010_200155.jpg 20201010_200050.jpg

Treynor likes this.
  7. dkwallis

dkwallis TDPRI Member

8. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 Tele-Meister

This one

9. Blackie1956

Blackie1956 Tele-Meister

Agreed...all day long!

10. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

My Class A Head ! IMG_4593.JPG IMG_4594.JPG !

Greggorios likes this.
  11. RobSzat

RobSzat TDPRI Member

mine comes today, it’s a 54 that has been converted to a 3 prong plug, fingers crossed

uriah1 likes this.
  12. Louisguitar

Louisguitar TDPRI Member

Carr Rambler all the way.

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. Stinger22

Stinger22 TDPRI Member

14. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

So, now that you have a blue million great recommendations, do you feel overwhelmed?
    Thought so.
    Blues Jr. or Pro Jr, I know about.
    Blues Jr. is a good all around amp, gets clean enough and dirty enough, stock speakers are okay, master volume, reverb.
    Pro Jr, on the other hand, is a killer little amp with a terrible speaker, no reverb, no loop, either.
    The only other amp, in this size category, that I have any real experience with is a Vox AC 4 TV mini. Recorded a lot of tracks with one. Awesome tone.

15. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

As far as "best" you opened a can of worms toward the traditional Ford/Chevy(Mopar) debate... anyone with a belly button is going to chime in with their opinion.

I won't drop any names, but instead give you some stuff to think about...

- What is your budget? $100? $400? $1,000? More?
    - Do you want tubes or will you use pedals and solid state would work? Or, can it be a modeling type amp in a small package?
    - Do you need a direct out on the amp? (not all amps have direct outs)
    - If no direct out, I assume your friend has a microphone to go in front?
    - Weight? Most amplifier makers list the weight of their products now. I find an amp that is around 35lbs to be comfy to carry these days of my later old life.
    - Do you have a decent store that has plenty of options that you can go to and test drive several models? I don't usually buy stuff off the Internet, so I like to do an in-person test drive, especially of amps.
    - Do you have a speaker preference as far as speaker size? 8"? 10"? 12"? Amazing stuff can be done with technology to make a big sound out of a smaller size.
    - Instead of getting suggestions from a forum like this and only this, do some follow up with makes and models folks are telling you about, compare prices, features, the weight (big for me), and then see if their are any decent YouTube videos that sometimes reveal features folks forget to tell you about.

I'm on the hunt for a good clean jazz amp right now. I have several models and makes I have been trying out at the local Sam Ash store here in Jacksonville, FL. If you want a serious test drive and some dip-dung is wailing bad out-of-tune Almost Zeppelin tunes in the next aisle, most store will let you take an amp to a different room where Slimmy Rage isn't trying to bust his own ear drums by playing a terrible rendition of Stairway to HellandBeyond... Last weekend I had that wonderful experience with some dumbass wailing on a guitar synthesizer in a masturbatory effort of self gratifunkation...

16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Cool.. a real one.!.mine was the supro reissue
    I did have an Oahu back in the day...Keith Richards all the way...if I recall

17. ReddVRocks

ReddVRocks NEW MEMBER!

This is what I have. Quilter MicroPro Mach 2. An unbelievable little amp. Love love love it. Best tone I’ve ever had and super portable. Also have a Dr. Z ZLux but it stays home.

lmjmitchell likes this.
  18. badkins

badkins Tele-Meister

I've been extremely pleased with my Vintage Sound Amp (Vintage 20) which is basically a really nice Princeton Reverb clone, but with a 12" speaker. I specifically wanted something that I could just grab with my guitar and maybe a few pedals, and it fits the bill.

Built-in reverb and tremolo are very nice.

https://www.vintagesoundamps.com/product/vintage-20-princeton-style/

Bobbyoso and Greggorios like this.
  19. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

I'll second the SCXD. I have two of them. Since I don't play/own single coils (except for P90), I feel it needs more in the speaker dept.
    One has a custom 12" combo cab, the other is played through a 2X10" extension cab.

20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

These threads are always in danger of turning into "You should get what I like" as opposed to "this is what will work for you."

There are a bunch of things to consider:

- Do you want an amp with a clean preamp or one with extra dirt capabilities/master volume?

- Modern amps often have some ability to adjust their power section up and down or have a reactive load attenuator, would you like those features

- Do you want American voicing or British voicing? Scooped mids or strong mids?

- Do you want a low efficiency speaker or a high efficiency speaker? A high efficiency speaker + adjustable power section gives you maximum volume + gain flexibility out of the amp. An amp without any power adjustment might be paired with a lower efficiency speaker to allow breakup at a lower volume but that comes at the sacrifice of the amp's maximum volume level when you need to play loud, and it still won't break up at as low a volume as the amp with power level adjustment.

- Do you want a real tube driven spring reverb tank in the amp? Do you want a real tube driven tremolo in the amp? These are very nice features IMO whereas digital versions built in the amp are mostly pointless and pedals are a better option. Do you want these to be footswitch enabled so you can turn them on/off on the fly?

- Do you want an FX loop? In super clean amps they might not be that important but they can really enhance an amp that is designed with dirty sounds in mind

- Do you want a headphone out, DI out, Impulse Response, etc.. ? Some tube amps have these, most don't.

- Do you want multiple channels? Do you want them on separate input jacks or a single input with a switchable setup via a footswitch?

Digital Larry and Mad Kiwi like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.