Best small, cheap tube amp for home/practice?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cacibi, Jan 14, 2008.

1. TheJacket

TheJacket Tele-Meister

WHERE did you get a Super Champ XD for $229 ???

Best price I've seen is $299! C'mon, fess up!! ;)

2. Doug Ferguson

Doug Ferguson Friend of Leo's

+ 1 on the Valve Jr. They remind me a lot of the '60's Broncos, though w/out any EQ. Great sound, anyway!

3. aram

aram Removed

cant you still occasionally find silver face vibrochamps for under $300?

I'd get one of those anyday of the week.

4. Solcat

Solcat Tele-Meister

5. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

That's what I was going to suggest. It's $399, so not within the parameters of the original question - but it's rather more amp than you'll get from the $100 Valve Jr. or $200 Champ (which is where I'd go if I got anything cheaper than this). Being able to switch between 5 and 16W is a very nice option for a practice amp.

Really, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the three.

6. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Best I can do is fess up that I put the numbers down from memory and not my receipts. I actually paid $236.15 for it. I paid less for the Super Champ XD than what the 5 watt Vibro Champ XD retails for. That is why I bought it.

I went in to buy my 10 year old son a red strat copy that he just had to have, he said he wanted to learn guitar, and saw the Champ sitting there marked down to $269, they wanted $59 for the strat copy. I only had $300 cash in my pocket and told the guy I'd take them both home but only if I got out the door for the $300 inclusive of tax. He manipulated the numbers in the system to get the total with tax to $299.99 and out the door I went. Probably shows what these retailers are paying wholesale...

Attached Files:

7. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

I have an Epi VJr. 1x12 stack and a Champion 600. The VJr. is apocalyptic-style loud for 5 watts and the Champ is more of a bedroom/recording amp. I have used it for recording in a professional studio with good results and in a small practice with drums and bass in a very small room and it held up ok, but was hard to hear at times. The Epi on the other hand is plenty loud for an average band situation if you like tube breakup (for live shows you'll want it in the PA though without a doubt).

8. TheJacket

TheJacket Tele-Meister

think my post was misunderstood....

Easy, easy...I really just wanted to know WHERE you got that price...your post just goes to show that walk in wheeling and dealing is still alive and well....good for you!

9. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Well, I'll fess up again... Mister Money is actually a pawn shop and I never buy anything from them as their prices are always too high. I do stop in once in a while just to see what might have shown up, you never know. They do sell new stuff in the musical section, they carry Kustom and Crate amps (prices way over what other retailers sell for). I was surprised to see the Super Champ XD sitting there as the GC up the road doesn't even know what they are. I happend in looking for the red strat for my boy and saw the Champ and like I said they had it marked at $269, shocked me just because that is lower than retail.

Mister Money is listed on Fender's site as an authorized dealer as Mister Music. Go figure...

10. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I've owned or played most of the amps mentioned in this thread. I bought a Vibro Champ XD last week and IMHO there's nothing better for the $.

11. TMoxness

TMoxness Tele-Meister

I just got a Crate Vintage Club 20, and it's really nice.

The master volume sounds good; I can get low volume OD sounds that are great.

Before this amp I had a Fender PJ. I found it too loud to be an effective practice amp.

The Vox Pathfinder 15R is also a really good SS amp.

12. zonedout245

zonedout245 TDPRI Member

I returned the first in-box Vibro Champ XD I bought because it had some problems. It was the last on besides the floor model which I did pay full price for haha. Works great though. I use it in my bedroom. The modeling, sure, I might prefer pure tube sound but I find nothing wrong with it. It's up to personal preference whether the Vibro or Super would be best. Of course, one's bigger, but still good amps. I have played both, but the Vibro was as far as I could extend my budget (and I extended it by more than $50 originally). Also, check out some VOX amps. They're in the same price range and they sound okay from the online videos I've seen (with teles). They do have modeling too though.

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Used Silver Face Champ would be my choice for $300 and under tonal achievement

14. motokev

motokev TDPRI Member

A used 70s fender princeton with no reverb. I found one for $50 at the pawn, but that was extremely lucky. But, the non reverb PR are around 300. Or !!!
    a used PEAVEY CLASSIC 30 or a Peavey Delta Blues 2x10. I just sold mine for $300 ! Probably the BEST amp under $1000. Or !!! a KUSTOM 36 coupe, very good amp, and go for $300 to $400 USED

15. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you've got a big sound amp you like, why not get a serious OD pedal like the XTS Multi-Drive and hook that up at low volume for the home stuff?

16. Ethical

Ethical Tele-Holic

i'd just like to wish this thread "Happy 3rd Birthday" :)

17. smilesrg

smilesrg TDPRI Member

Hey, guys!
    First of all, we should always ask "What are you going to play?" if someone asks the best amp for home use.

Check out suck combos as:
    Laney Cube 8, Laney Cube 10, Laney Cube 12
    Blackstar HT-1
    Kustom Defender
    Marshall Class 5 (has one channel, actually too loud for home use)

18. Muttcaster

Muttcaster Tele-Holic

I went looking for the Pro Jr in the classifieds... :oops:

19. jamblehamblebum

jamblehamblebum Tele-Meister

i had a laney cub 10 terrific amp but had to be turned up to neighbour annoying loud to get the valves workin same with superchamp xd . i have a vibro champ xd now which is just right for home use . really good sounds at very low volume but loud enough to rip a bit when the neighbours are out g dec junior is a super cheap little practice amp that sounds quite warm and valvey for ss and has built in backings . but the vibro is the best i;ve come accross . full range of sounds . no pedals required . sounds like a real valve amp .

20. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that if you're playing at neighbour-friendly levels, then it's really not going to make much difference if you're playing valve or SS/modelling cleans. When it comes to overdrive I have found many small valve amps sound horrible unless the power valve is driven hard, and driving a 5 watter is definitely going to get your neighbours banging on the wall! There are exceptions-the Blackstar HT-5 for example sounds very good in either combo or mini-stack form, even at whisper-quiet levels. The relatively costly Cornford Harlequin is another stunning 6-watter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.