Best small 5150/6505 amp option

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeepDangler, Oct 1, 2020.

1. DeepDangler

DeepDangler TDPRI Member

My main amp is a Vox AC15HW1 which I thoroughly enjoy but it can’t do high gain. I miss my old 5150 combo. I had to sell it because I was moving and it was too loud for my apartment at the time. Wish I still had it. I’m looking at all the mini versions of the 5150/6505 that are available these days and I’m wondering what’s the closest in sound to the 5150? I have a Peavey Schefield 1x12 speaker cab to connect to if its a micro head.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Why would the 5150 not work? Had I been in your situation, I would have gotten a good atennuator and kept the Peavey. Ime and 8mho, any amp would need an attenuator in an apartment situation unless one was not looking for power amp drive. In that case, the Peavey should have worked because it has that master volume, as do all high gain amps. I prefer that the power section be put to work so an attenuator would be important to me. Fwiw, the 5150 and the 6505 are the only Peavey amps that I care much for. I think they are good amps for what they were designed to do.

tonejam likes this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Small & high gain? I don’t know your budget, but the Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 Combo is 14”x14”, has a 10” Creamback with surprisingly good bottom end, decent master volumes and a headphone jack.

4. DeepDangler

DeepDangler TDPRI Member

Oh sorry I need to clarify more. I’m looking at all the high gain 5150 and 6505 amps that are floating around the market. The 6505 1x12 combo, the 6505 micro, the 5153, etc.. I’m a fan of the 5150 sound but I’m wondering what small micro head or 1x12 combo gets the closest.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

PRS has a Mark Tremonti mini-head I believe. Never tried one, but I'd assume that'd fit the bill. Victory Kraken if you've got the budget.

6. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Thing with all the micro heads are they're all a bit different. Kinda keeps the company alive if you think about it. Find one you like and go with it. Myself I've found the master volume works quite well on my 100w Soldano.

7. BWoods

BWoods TDPRI Member

Are you looking for small/portable or really good at low volumes?

If really good at low volumes then the EVH 5150 III combos have adjustable power scaling on the front controls which is amazing. The power scaling is not power attenuation but instead changes the operating voltages on the power tubes to operate at lower power down to 1 Watt. I have a heavily gigged 5150 III 2 x 12 with the stock Greenbacks and it sounds great setting the power scaling at lowest settings. Better than any of the small 1 watt amps I have played. It even has a headphone output if your need to play silent.

If your are looking for small and portable then take a look at the Laney Cub 12R. It has something similar going on but instead of an adjustable power scaling feature it has a 1 Watt input with fixed power scaling that changes the operating range of the power tube. The 1 Watt input sounds amazing and can drive the stock speaker really well, has a lot of gain and low end, great treble, and sounds really big. It takes pedals really well too. This amp really surprised me and it is very portable. It also sounds great on the full 15 Watt input.

I played a lot of amps with with power attenuators, but the attenuators always seam to negatively affect the tone.

DeepDangler likes this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Pedals are not amps, but Eddie purportedly could not tell the difference between this and his amp
    I have one and it's brilliant

Tim S and DeepDangler like this.
  9. DeepDangler

DeepDangler TDPRI Member

That’s pretty insane how close that is! I think I have a new pedal to acquire...

blowtorch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.