1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best slim neck squier

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ben2e, Oct 9, 2020.

1. ben2e

ben2e TDPRI Member

I'm shopping for my son who will likely need a slimmer neck model. It doesn't have to be dirt cheap, say < 300 if possible. I know a few years back the Baja Tele's had strong support as the best value for Fender Tele's. On a quick search, sounds like Classic Vibe's get a lot of likes but it's just a hair more than I'd like (notwithstanding some huge deal happening).

I'm not familiar with the best Squier models (and duds) and where are the best places to shop for them. I know these can come up on Stupid Deal of the Day at MF or maybe craigslist (granted I'm not in a larger metro area with tons for sale).

What model should I look for and how to shop for it ?

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I just bought a squier limited edition bullet tele. Never really felt squiers were very good except for the classic vibe line and this new bullet just confirms it. No where near as good as far as tone and not nearly as nice in build quality. I would definately stick with the classic vibes. And in particular the chinese line which u will have to buy used. The chinese CV 50s tele is IMO the best one. I have owned every CV model out there and IMO the 50s tele is the best and actually hangs perfectly well and easily with american fender teles. Better IMO than any of the mexican line, and i love the no longer made mexican classic series. In fact, i have a MIM classic tele thats great. It just happens to be the design i like otherwise i'd still have my CV50s which i feel was the better made tele.

That said, while the new CV line is made in indonesia, some of them seem as good, but not all. I have played some mediocre ones that never happened with the china line. The teles i have played have been much better then the strats tho. And at $300 u will have to stick with a used china model since the current new indonesia ones start at $400. Of course if u have to buy new and stay at $300 or less you will have to go with a bullet or affinity etc. But IMO those just are not great at all and IMO not remotely close to the CV line. U will get opposite opinions tho so you will have to try and find a general consensus from the answers u get. As slim necks go the CV 50s china model's neck is one of the best IMO. I see them used all the time at 300 or less.

3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I respect fender4life's thoughts on the Squier Limited Edition Bullet Telecaster, having more experience with other Tele models, but my own experience is that the new Indonesian Bullet Teles are excellent guitars for the money. Notably for your son, the Bullets seem to have the slimmest neck profile.

Is your son just beginning guitar? That's one consideration. If so, I think the Bullet is a sensible choice. I'd look at Sweetwater or Musician's Friend for the best price.

I also just got a 2000 Affinity Tele, and I can't say that either it or the Bullet is better 'quality' — but the neck profile is definitely slimmer feeling on the Bullet. The Affinity has more 'shoulder' on the sides, making it effectively thicker, and definitely feels thicker (I was just making close comparisons between them last night).

If it's your son's first guitar, I'd also get him Dan Erlewine's book, "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!" — that'll help teach him how to optimize, maintain & understand his guitar, get him off to a good start.

Good luck!

4. fender4life

Ummmm....i have to disagree on the bullet. probably the ONLY thing about it i like over the CV line is the neck is chunkier then any of them, especially the 60s model CVs which are incredibly slim. The 60s CVC is comically thin. If he's looking for slim thats as slim as it gets but it's crazy thin by any measure. The bullet is by all responses i have seen chunkier than any CV, certainly mine is having owned all the CV. But the biggest issue i have with the bullet is while a set of brass saddles improved it immensely w/o exaggeration, it still has this thin mid sound with any of the 3 the bridge pickups i tried and i am probably going to sell it because of that. meanwhile, only one of the CVs i have had was tonally problematic, and that was the china thinline. Too bright, but still IMO much better then the bullet.To put it bluntly, he bullet sounds to me like a cheap guitar no matter what mods i do, and if he's looking for slim its definately not that. The tone issue is mine, i'm not going to suggest it isn't subjective. But the neck is definately not nearly as thin as any of the CVs.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  5. Prairie Phoenix

Prairie Phoenix TDPRI Member

I recently bought a Squier HSS strat for more or less the same reasons you are considering a Squier. I was looking for something that felt close to my USA Fender Bullet. I expected to not be thrilled with the Squier electronics. It's in the ballpark. I like the slimmer body, it's quite light, the neck is slim though it is satin not gloss. I don't really like the pickups and the 5 way switch quit after just a few days. The pots are more on/off than tapered. The whole guitar just feels noticeably than the USA Bullet.
    I'm still satisfied with it, I got a neck and body that I think I can work with, and I'm looking forward to trying new pickups in it.
    To give to your son I think I would recommend something better than the Bullet series.

6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I recently got two Bullets and an Affinity HH, and they have a little roughness to the lightly finished satin necks, but not so much that it bothers me in any way. I don't feel it when playing, only when I did the new guitar inspection. They play and sound great after doing a setup and upgrading the pickups, with fine fretwork. I like them as much as any Tele I've had. The necks feel a lot like a MIM Fender.

7. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

The Squier 60's Classic Vibe Custom may be as slim as they come. Don't know about them since they moved production from China, but the Chinese ones were crazy slim. Beautiful guitars, though.

Gene Machine likes this.
  8. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Well the Affinities could be hit or miss. We don’t see that many Bullet Teles here in Atlantic Canada, but I have 2 Affinity Strats that are absolutely excellent. I have played some duds though. My 2004 sounded so good with the stock neck and middle pickups that I even left those (I like something hotter than stock in the bridge, so that always gets swapped out). Tone and playability it hangs with my Fender Strats with Alnico Pro II and TexMex pickups. It has a very slim neck, as does my 2016 Affinity Strat (the bullets are chunkier, though, I believe). Both of these Affinities get as much play and gig time as my Contemporary Strat, Lite Ash Strat and Tele, and my MIA Tele.

But like I said - hit and miss. I’ve picked some up that were just horrible - mostly setup issues, but I did own another early 2000s Affinity Strat that I could not make a decent guitar of no matter what is did. So YMMV. However, that was almost 20 years ago and I believe quality is generally up across the board. Unlike @fender4life , I seem to favor the MII models over the MIC ones, but that’s just preference for feel and some luck of the draw, I would expect.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  9. fender4life

By the way, to the OP....if you are not going to mod it, and i would think not being it's for your son, i would absolutely go with classic vibe regardless of china or indo. Not only because the necks are slimmer then some if not all other squiers, but because they absolutely do not require upgrades. My bullet was the worse tele i've owned tone-wise till i upgraded the saddles and pickups. The neck pickup is the worse i have ever heard by a country mile. The bridge....ummmm, tolerable, not great.

I upgraded most of my CVs too, but not out of necessity, just to fine tune them to my preference. But thier pickups are right on par with USA fender stuff and the bridges and saddles don't compromise tone. The pot metal saddles on the bullet and no doubt other non CV teles sound horrible. See my post on brass saddles i put on it. They literally made it sound 300% better. So go CV and you will have a great sounding tele with no mods. The only bad thing with all squiers are the cheap switches which often fail withing 6 months to a year or 2. But thats a cheap and easy fix if u can use a soldering iron.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The Indonesian Squier Bullet Tele or the Squier Bullet Mustang HH are good options. The fretwork on the Indonesian models has come up quite a lot.

If you go to Squier CVs then you might as well just get a Fender MIM model as the pricing is so close. I'll either do Squier bullet/affinity, Fender MIM, or Fender MIA. Everything priced between is just product noise.

Don't forget to look at Thomann/Harley Benton which offer better hardware for lower prices than the Squiers (they put the money that would go to a brand owner into hardware upgrades), and look for the Firefly and Glarry brands. Glarry has had some surprisingly good Strats and Basses for under $75 including shipping -- low price because they are factory direct via Amazon so no Brand nor traditional Retailer price bumps.

11. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I sit corrected! Thanks, I may have to look into a CV—I love slim necks!

Meanwhile, I do love my Bullet Tele, though I plan to upgrade the so-so pickups soon.

I got one of the Bullet Mustangs too (for $120, how could I not?), and it plays wonderfully. Also a pretty slim neck. I replaced the pickups with lipsticks, for a different sound (it's my funk machine), but it's easy & fun to play. The short scale is nice for a youngster, too. They might have some out at Guitar Center, could be worth a look.

All that said, if your budget is $300, you have a range of options.

12. ben2e

ben2e TDPRI Member

Thanks all, sounds like I wait for a CV on sale. I saw someone post an upgraded Chinese made one for $350 on MyLesPaul.

13. ben2e

ben2e TDPRI Member

Amazon has the CV Strat 50's for 349. Not too bad (not a Tele I know but for a 1st guitar would work).

14. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

CV definitely, my Affinity maybe has a bit narrower nut but a way chunkier profile

15. Hastings

Hastings Tele-Meister

If a neck is too chunky, can one not simply sand it to an acceptable profile?

16. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I hear all the time that people want to play but they’ve got small hands. I’m 4’11 & 210. If I lost my fingers in an accident at the Smokey link plant and somehow they landed in with all the sausages...I’d never be able to tell them apart! :D It’s good that you’re thinking of it now before the purchase.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.