Best Slide for maple Tele neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Simon 0044, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Slider 212

Slider 212 TDPRI Member

I actually use the opposite approach. I use my best guitars for slide, but then I do play slide 99 percent of the time, so ... :) Slide need not be just on cheap guitars is all I'm saying. I also use a little radius, as I find that by angling the slide (across the neck not along it, if that makes sense), I get even less excess slide noise from the strings I'm not playing. Or I could just learn to mute better I suppose :D

As has been said, there is no right and wrong with slide - just what works for you. All you can do is try everything you hear about and stick with what you enjoy most.

Good point regarding the open G and open D chord research if you want to play some non-slide rhythm parts in those tunings. I've said this elsewhere on the forum, but banjo chord and scale books are good for this. The main 4 strings on a banjo in open G and open D are the same as the 4 highest sounding strings on a guitar in those tunings.

2. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

3. Midnightwine

Midnightwine TDPRI Member

This is the way that I look at it.Glass generally gives you a warmer smoother sound but not as loud as metal ones. Chrome tends to give a brighter sound that to my ears sounds louder than the glass ones.Copper slides are brighter and louder still compared to the glass and chrome ones. I prefer chrome and copper because I like the weight and sound. I also prefer slides that fit the finger that I use it on it gives me more controle then ones that are oversized in length or width they tend to slip around alot on my finger. Also if the slide is to big hitting right over the fret gets considerably more difficult and correct intonation becomes harder to achieve.

4. Simon 0044

Simon 0044 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info guys, I'm off to try some more slides today
    I'm going to stick with standard tuning, as I'll only be doing a few solos in some songs

Cheers

Simon

5. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I agree with Midnightwine. I think the only other thing to offer in advice is to train your other fingers to mute the area behind the slide to help eliminate the sound of the slide on the strings that you are not playing and the "opposite" harmonic of the string above the slide.

I tried glass and ceramic slides and they aren't as bright as steel. I like the brightness of steel or chrome plated steel. They have to fit your finger for precise control. I like to use the 5th finger, as it frees up the other fingers, YMMV.

6. Bromanking

Bromanking TDPRI Member

I prefer ceramic slides but I have all kinds including brass/glass/steel.
    If you want to check out slide on a maple neck Tele, here's one on my 52 reissue with a SD vintage Broadcaster pu........listen to Slidin Uphill.
    If you want some open tuning on my 1935 Broman/National check out Acoustic demo 7......some of the others are slide, some are not.

B.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=661750&content=music

7. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Just a rehash of some of the good advice above...

Glass, metal (brass for me) or ceramic...they all sound different, you should try them all. I like ceramic best

8. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Good to hear ya, thanks for sharing.

9. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

I'm still losing sleep over what the neck has to do with it.

10. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Here's what I learned about glass slides - too light in weight isn't good, nor is too heavy. I use the Dunlop (210 I think) which is a medium wall thickness, medium sized slide. I find the bottles too heavy and the small slides too light. Bridge pickup and some gain and you're off to Statesboro.

Dunlop210.jpg

11. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

"I don't always play slide, but WHEN I DO, I use glass."
    Duane showed us the way.
    Check out Sonny Landreth for tricks and techniques. And of course, Mr. Derek Trucks.

12. Slider 212

Slider 212 TDPRI Member

:)

I guess the question was asked assuming that the neck/fretboard material affects the sound of the guitar, which could either complement the sound properties of the individual slide types/materials or not ??? There are many, long threads on fretboard impact on sound, so I'm not gonna go there ... ;)

I choose maple purely because I seem to be able to 'see' the frets and glass slide better than over a rosewood board - no other reason.

13. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Tele-Afflicted

I guess the OP needs to decide if he prefers the sound of glass, steel or ceramic. Then decide which thickness/weight is easiest/most comfortable to handle. Then he can decide for himself!

This isn't one of those "is product A higher quality than product B?" questions, this is entirely down to personal preference. Just go to a guitar shop and try a few. Any good guitar shop will let you play around with their slides for a bit so that you find the right one.

14. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The fretboard material doesn't matter much, IMO. As one here commented, it is easier to see what you're doing on a maple board than rosewood. It's probably the fretboard radius than impacts things more. I find slide easier to play on my Warmoth 10-16'' compound radius, because it's relatively flat. 9.5" is OK, too. I don't prefer my 7.5" radius to the others, although it's just a touch you adapt to. Bonnie Raitt seems to do OK with her old Strat rosewood neck.

15. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Banned

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.