Best Ski Town for Players

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NJBeauxarts, Nov 15, 2013.

1. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, I lived in SLC for 15 years- it isn't as stuffy as most would think if you know where to go. Lots of ski bums there (or Park City) who are waiters, musicians, etc so they can ski in the day time. But to me, Jackson/Yellowstone is a spiritual place.

2. Sw0rdfish

Sw0rdfish Tele-Meister

Jackson Hole

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Seattle is one hour from the slopes...1.5 hrs to Crystal. Great music scene, too. Just have to live with "Seattle Cement" heavy snow. Bend, Oregon would be a good bet, too. But who can really make a living playing club gigs? Maybe a town with lots of kids so you can give lots of lessons...Seattle?

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

None of which are ski towns...

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ugh, well unfortunately ten years ago or so was the last I played up there in those spots. There's gigs around the gambling towns in Blackhawk and Central City and I know there was a lot of music in Grand Lake some years back in the summer. It's not all that far from Winter Park but I don't know if the work is there in the winter. Overall though the days of places booking bands 7 nights a week is over except at some of the clubs here in Denver.

6. gandsfjord

gandsfjord Tele-Meister

Yeah, right.
    OP: Please do some background checks before you order flight tickets !
    - and frankly the skiing isn't that great either.

No. Convert to tuba and go to Kitzbühel.

7. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't listen to him ... He's probably actually a Swede anyway ... ;)

Lilyhammer was good enough for the Winter Olympics in '94, but not for the OP?:confused::D

But seriously, I wasn't serious. But I'm a big fan of the TV show "Lilyhammer" with Steven Van Zandt. :lol:

8. gandsfjord

gandsfjord Tele-Meister

Splutter....hisssss...choke......WHAAAA

9. Jimmy Row

Jimmy Row Tele-Meister

Nowhere. Unless you spin dubstep the kids (your largest ski bum demographic), could give a crap about live music.
    We have played some great shows up in government camp on mt hood, with a packed house, lots of jiggling bodies and getting paid! Not what I would call a world class ski town but the powers that be are trying to make it so, and in the process destroying what makes "govy" so "govy".

Jimmy

10. rideit

rideit Tele-Holic

Haha...well, here in JH, Dark StR Orchestra and the Deadlocks still sell out and play to packed houses...but only once or twice a year.
    We are still in the 80's in some ways...but yeah, dub step at Nani's is what the skids will actually get off their x boxes to go out and blaze to.

11. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That one hurt, I guess ... :twisted:

12. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i ski bummed back in the late 80s (haha).. spent most of that time in Avon and Minturn. There was a lot of live music...wasn't 'my kind' of live music (at that time i was into phychedelic rock, etc) and all of what you could hear live as either country or some variant of 60s/70s top 40 cover bands, with the occasional acoustic jamboree type thing.

the skiing was great..and a lot of employment opportunities for a young buck looking to make a buck

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.