Best site to sell a guitar

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by schenkadere, Apr 16, 2015.

1. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I was curious where you guys think is the best site to sell. I have a Reverend Eastsider T I need to sell and was wondering if you would go with eBay, Reverb or here in the classifieds.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Don't know anything about selling here in the classifieds, but I've sold a few on E-Bay. Had an amp that I tried to sell on Reverb; it sat for a month with no inquiries. Took it down and put it on E-Bay, sold within a few days. Just remember to charge enough for shipping. A guitar in a case with insurance can easily cost $75 to ship.

3. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

If I just want it gone fast I price to sell on CL.

eBay is a good second option, but you'll pay about 10% in fees and have to use their shipping or you'll lose even more money. And shipping is $$$!

I've never used Reverb, and the few times I've used the classifieds here my gear is sold on CL before I get a single email from TDPRI.

4. schenkadere

Good to know...thanks!

I've always used ebay but not thrilled about the fees. I've purchased some great deals from Reverb, but never tried selling. I may give CL a shot.

5. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

eBay if you want it to sell fast, but as others have said, it's the more expensive option and prices tend to be lower due to the ability for customers to shop around easily.

Reverb is awesome. Lower fees, easy to use interface, etc. Problem is that the user base isn't nearly as large as eBay, so things tend to sit for a while.

Local Craigslist is probably your best bet. Depending on how active the musical instrument section is, you can usually offload gear pretty quick and pocket more of the selling price due to no fees and shipping costs. Just meet in a public place. Too many stories of people getting killed during CL meetups.

6. schenkadere

Just posted on CL...let's see what happens!

7. schenkadere

Hopefully you won't hear about me in the news. :neutral:

8. geotele

geotele TDPRI Member

This is not meant as a slam to dealers, but.. No matter where you list it, be it fee-bay, reverb, Amazon, or any other "retail" site, you will pay a fee, just to sell it. Factor in shipping and the rest, ( boxes, bubble wrap and packing materials..oh, and the gas you use to gather the materials, or take it to UPS or whatever) and you need to add at least $100. to the price. Then you have to factor in competing with retailer's.. It gets ridiculous. Part the thing out, and you'll get close to what you want. Selling a whole guitar has become an exercise in frustration. I stopped selling whole guitars years ago, because I was losing money on every guitar. Now I don't! I got sick of competing with retailers and dealing with morons from Craigslist, so break 'em down, and make your money back..whew..that's my rant for the day! One other alternative is: keep them all! I now have at least a half dozen of each of my favorites, ( Tele's, Strat's, PRS's, and a few Gibson's and Martin's ) and I stopped buying crap I don't like!

9. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I have had very good luck with Reverb. I could be wrong but doubt you will get a lot of response for a Reverend on CL. Great product but not exactly a house hold name. For Reverb, I always ask more than what I want and allow offers. Then you barter for what you want. It is a buyers market out there though. Shipping will probably be in the $35 - $40.00 range unless you have a commercial account or ship to a commercial address. And you will need a box and packing to account for in the price. Don't know if parting out a Reverend will be a good choice. Fender yes.

10. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

I'll add this - if someone is always searching for a Reverend you'll get someone to show up fast. I have never had issues getting a buyer at a fair price, whether it's guitars or iPhones or collectibles.

11. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

I've used Reverb with great success. I actually sold my Reverend within one hour! I have sold an amp and another guitar using them in about three weeks. I have sold on craigslist also but smaller items like pedals and pickguards. I sold a guitar on this site also in about forty days. good luck!

12. Cuuhl

Cuuhl TDPRI Member

Reverb is less than half the price of EBay too. My last transaction cost almost 10%, where Reverb is 3.5%. Adds up for bigger ticket items. However, I think EBay still gets more traffic. Cool write-up in Guitar Aficianado this month about the lucky SOB that started Reverb. OK, probably more skill than luck....

13. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

You got kijiji in your area? That's where I do all my previously enjoyed commerce.

14. schenkadere

5 days on North New Jersey CL and not a nibble! :neutral:

15. schenkadere

Put it up on Reverb and there is instant activity. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.