Best Simple EQ Pedal for a Fender Tweed Champ

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RYAN1987M, Jul 5, 2019.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have one of the newer Fender ’57 Custom Champ amps – and I really do love the sounds that it can produce!

I’m curious to try a simple EQ pedal to see how much I can coax out of the Champ. I’m interested in manipulating its clean tones. I love the stock clean sound…but I’m also curious about the idea of boosting highs and lows and seeing if the Tweed Champ can sound a bit like a Blackface Champ.

I know that, at the end of the day, the Champ is still a small and simple amp with an 8” speaker. I obviously don’t expect that an EQ pedal could make it sound like a Marshall Stack (nor do I desire that). I’m just curious to try a simple EQ pedal - hopefully 2-band or 3-band.

I’m looking for your suggestions!

Right off the bat, I’m thinking…

Barber Barb EQ
    Bearfoot FX Sea Blue EQ
    VFE Pinball Tilt EQ

I’d really like to try a dedicated EQ pedal (I’m not interested in Compressor or OD suggestions).

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

It has more bands than you're looking for, but how about a Boss GE-7?

maggieo, Alter and RYAN1987M like this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Never heard of any of those - I have the MXR 6 band, it's great, you could also get the Boss one, cheap, effective, solid.

Owenmoney and RYAN1987M like this.
  4. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

Mxr 6 band is what I use with champs/Princetons. It was inexpensive.

RYAN1987M and Owenmoney like this.
  5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Joyo 6-band can be had for $30, never had any issues.

brbadg and RYAN1987M like this.
  6. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

The most musical, easy to dial in eq pedal I have ever used and still use is the Earthquaker Devices Tone Job. I also own two yes two modified GE-7, something called a Detox EQ and an MXR 6-band. I love eq pedals. The Tone Job is easy to adjust on the fly unlike the others with the sliders. Bass, middle, treble and volume. It just works. I think it would excel as a front end eq for your amp.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

RYAN1987M likes this.
  8. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Have a Muchxs 57 champ and use a vfe rocket parametric eq or these days use a vfe dragon with the HPF and LPF. However instead of boosting the hi and lows to get a scooped BF shape...decrease the mids (vfe rocket ;) ) and turn up the amp and adjust with git knobs.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    zippofan and RYAN1987M like this.
  9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

EQ pedals with sliders are OK, but if you're used to a quick pointer reference from a knob rather than a slider position ( similar to how you can read an analogue watch face in an instant, but have to make a small calculation when it comes to digital displays to understand how it relates ), they can be a little tricksy. They also have too many options. Still, wish I could remember where the heck I left mine.

Into the front of my Champ-a-like ( WF-55 head ), I run either a Behringer VT999, which is an overdrive, or more often nowadays, an Ammoon American Sound ( rebadged Joyo ). With the Behringer, I set the gain to very mild and the volume to more or less unity. The three band tone controls fitted to it are wide ranging and very flexible in use.
    Similar with the American Sound. Set the levels, play with the voicings, get the EQ just so and fly. An overdrive into the front of either extends their range considerably.
    You may be able to get what you seek from what you have currently, if you play with stacking and levels.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  10. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

I have a couple of better ones, even a half rack audiophile Dtar, but I just use the boss Ge7. Simple, small, great boost and buffer.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  11. RYAN1987M

I'm really getting interested in the...

JHS Clover
    Okko Power EQ

Daytona.57 likes this.
  12. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

The Pinball tilt EQ from VFE is sweet, build one from Madbean pedals or find a used one:

pinball_top.jpg

I have an MXR 6 band on my board, but the Pinball is going to bump it off. I also like the Redstone TMB from Nucleon but its a DIY only.
    Redstone_top.jpg

RYAN1987M likes this.
  13. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I had a Wampler Black 65 that I used to run into my Goodsell Champton. It had bass,mid,and treble knobs and I turn d the gain down and used it as an EQ . Sounded good to my ears but it did take away some of the tweedy nature of the amp.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  14. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

I think that using a parametric EQ rather than a graphic eq will give you more options to dial in what you like, because you are able to adjust the Q of each frequency band. For example, if you want to cut back the mids, it would sound really unnatural to have full midrange with a big dip at 800 hz, but if you had a wide Q on the parametric, you could sweep some of the surrounding frequencies as well.

I would look at something like the Empress Para EQ, Wampler also makes on that I forget the name of.

All the usual rules of EQ apply, subtractive beats additive unless you have something that says like Neve, API, or Pulltech on it.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  15. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Your volume and tone controls combined with pick attack are all the EQ you need with a Champ.

16. RYAN1987M

This pedal has blown my mind! A fantastic sounding and easy to use utility pedal. It has, for all intensive purposes, given my Tweed Champ an alternate Blackface-style clean channel (using the settings as per the photos).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

Glad you found what you were looking for, Ryan! I got a Joyo American Sound last month and thought to suggest that as it can be used several ways, but it looks like you have it sorted out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RYAN1987M likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.