Best shaving hack

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
I haven't shaved with a razor in several years. I just trim it down to scruff with a 5/16 attachment on my Wahl clipper. If I wanna "shave" I take the attachment off and trim against the grain for a nice 5-o-clock shadow.

There is no way to shave without irritation, so I avoid it that way!

I know not all are able to grow a nice looking beard or scruff, and if I was one of them I'd just use an electric shaver... in the shower of course ;)

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I love this stuff.......

m_wp_61b96b0c284e995205eb50bf.webp
Meh. I used it when I got a sample kit from Harry’s. It is no better than Edge gel or the cheaper Equate brand from Walmart. I do still buy Harry’s blades, though.

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
I like lather. I've used conditioner when I realized I was out of shaving cream, but I definitely don't think it's better.

My best hack is to follow the instructions. Put on shaving cream and let it work for a few minutes. It'll soften your beard.

Back at it

Tele-Meister
I use a shave oil, light oil with a little clove, 5 drops on a wet face, super smooth, self lubricating, you can see what you’re shaving and it’s super cheap and compact so easy for travel

shave deluxe from Amazon, $6 for a lotta shaves

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
I haven't shaved with a razor in several years. I just trim it down to scruff with a 5/16 attachment on my Wahl clipper. If I wanna "shave" I take the attachment off and trim against the grain for a nice 5-o-clock shadow.

There is no way to shave without irritation, so I avoid it that way!

I know not all are able to grow a nice looking beard or scruff, and if I was one of them I'd just use an electric shaver... in the shower of course ;)

I was always like you, just used my hair clippers and just knocked it down as tight as I could get it. I tried all the Mach whatever blades blah blah and they killed my face. The cheapo bic ones were totally out of the question.

About a year ago I tried those Harry’s razors and problem solved if I want a clean and smooth as a baby’s ass shave. No more irritation or anything like that afterwards. Just be careful as those suckers are sharp, not like anything else I tried previously.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I was always like you, just used my hair clippers and just knocked it down as tight as I could get it. I tried all the Mach whatever blades blah blah and they killed my face. The cheapo bic ones were totally out of the question.

About a year ago I tried those Harry’s razors and problem solved if I want a clean and smooth as a baby’s ass shave. No more irritation or anything like that afterwards. Just be careful as those suckers are sharp, not like anything else I tried previously.
The Harry's blades are pretty good, I keep them around as well for when I need to shave in a hurry. The best cartridge blades though are still the Gillette twin blade, but they have all become stupid expensive compared to simple double edged safety razors.

The biggest problem with multi-blade razors is that it leaves the hair cut off below the skin and for many that results in ingrown hairs or just bumps...especially along the neck. The single blade (safety razor) takes the hair off down to the skin surface and no lower so you get a clean shave without any ingrown hairs or bumps. Granted, you will see the 5 o'clock shady sooner, but I will take that trade off every time.

I had to shave 2 times per day in boot camp because I must be half werewolf and could grow a beard in record time. For years it destroyed my neck and always left bad razor burn and ingrown hairs. Then I switched to a Gillette Fat Boy razor from the '50's left behind by my Grandfather and never looked back. I can get 2 shaves out of each blade and a box of 100 blades is like $14.

The only real downside to using the old safety razors is that you have to take your time. Not that it takes a long time, but you need to go slower than you would with a modern cartridge razor. If I over-sleep, I will grab a Harry's razor or Gillette twin to save time, but otherwise it is old school for me.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
The Harry's blades are pretty good, I keep them around as well for when I need to shave in a hurry. The best cartridge blades though are still the Gillette twin blade, but they have all become stupid expensive compared to simple double edged safety razors.

The biggest problem with multi-blade razors is that it leaves the hair cut off below the skin and for many that results in ingrown hairs or just bumps...especially along the neck. The single blade (safety razor) takes the hair off down to the skin surface and no lower so you get a clean shave without any ingrown hairs or bumps. Granted, you will see the 5 o'clock shady sooner, but I will take that trade off every time.

I had to shave 2 times per day in boot camp because I must be half werewolf and could grow a beard in record time. For years it destroyed my neck and always left bad razor burn and ingrown hairs. Then I switched to a Gillette Fat Boy razor from the '50's left behind by my Grandfather and never looked back. I can get 2 shaves out of each blade and a box of 100 blades is like $14.

The only real downside to using the old safety razors is that you have to take your time. Not that it takes a long time, but you need to go slower than you would with a modern cartridge razor. If I over-sleep, I will grab a Harry's razor or Gillette twin to save time, but otherwise it is old school for me.

I recently found my Dad's old safety razor that he used while in the Navy, Korean War days. I was thinking of getting some blades for it and giving it a try ;) Where do you usually buy your blades i.e. do they still sell them at the drug stores etc?

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I recently found my Dad's old safety razor that he used while in the Navy, Korean War days. I was thinking of getting some blades for it and giving it a try ;) Where do you usually buy your blades i.e. do they still sell them at the drug stores etc?
I took to the whole ritual of safety razor, brush, bowl and puck a few years ago. I love the weekly ritual of shaving alongside an hour's long soak in the tub with a good album on.
I had to shave daily back when I had the day job and it was a chore. However, these days once a week is fine for me, plus the odd visit to a Turkish barbers for special occasions.

It's an expensive outlay at first but blades are about £10 and £5 for a puck of soap on amazon in my corner of the planet. That outlay is good (for me) for 12-18 months.

I recommend Feather blades (Japan) and Muhle soap(Germany).

Strangely enough, I have a few guitars made in Japan with replacement hardware made in Germany.
I never made that connection until I was typing this.

Brad Pittiful

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
ive been using liquid hand soap for 10 years...shaving cream sucks...it dulls the blade and also clogs it...ive been using the same blade since april

Tele T

Tele-Meister
I have not shaved for 112 days, I use Honest Amish beard oil and beard balm. It looks good. 🧔‍♂️

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't have as much experience with other blades, yet I have noticed one thing. I buy disposable razors. Never the cheapest (crap) nor the most expensive blades. I prefer to shave every 4 days, sometimes 5 or 6 days go by. My wife bought me a 16 pack of the high end Gillette 4 or 5 blade type disposable. Pretty dang pricey. Great shave, I found. Smooth. Silky. I don't suffer from razor burn, bumps or ingrown hairs. Back when I was 16 or so yes. Somehow my skin got tougher? Anyway, the expensive Gillette razors lasted way longer, staying sharp. I went though about 9 blades in 12 months. Cheaper blades about 1-2 shaves and they are toast. Like a lot of other things we buy in life, it's cheaper to fork out more $$$ up front, get good blades. They last longer. Over the life of the blades you save money compared to the lower priced crap. I use aerosol shaving cream. Maybe I'll look into an old safety razor and go the old fashioned way. I am interested. Not sure where to start to source the blade and razors.

If you can, please show a pic of your preferred old razor. If you see a quality one on ebay maybe post a link? I'll give it a try.
Thanks.

oatsoda

Tele-Holic
I have great results with the Derby Premium DE blades. Nearly the quality of Feather, about one quarter the price. My fav safety razor is a Gillette i1 from 1963.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
I detect the inverse relationship between the darkness of the guitar top and that of the beard over time.

You are correct, sir. And I've had that guitar for almost as long as I've had the beard. The beard first came in 1980, the guitar in 1983.