Best route to a Deluxe Reverb?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by 791979, Mar 26, 2010.

1. 791979

791979 Tele-Meister

I want a Fender Deluxe Reverb to compliment my 5e3, it seems like there are a few options open to me.

1. Buy a DRRI, and mod/improve as needed.
    2. Buy a SFDR from the US, and fit a 230v PT and service it
    3. Buy a SFDR in Europe & pay too much! Oh, and service it
    4. Build a Mojo kit
    Here in Europe amps are very expensive, so importing one from the US is a viable option. But I wonder what would ultimately give me the best sounding amp for the least money. The DRRI is pretty expensive here (even used), and I'm not so keen on the lack of mojo that the reissues have.

The Mojo kit seems good, but I wonder if fixing up a SFDR would be cheaper, and I'd have a cooler amp IMO at the end of the process.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. 791979

791979 Tele-Meister

Oh, another possibility is to buy a broken SFDR in Europe & fix it. There is one for sale at the moment, I'm sure it will cost a lot to fix (blown PT, and who knows what else). I guess most old DR's will need work, so one that is cheaper as it needs repair sorta makes sense to me. But, am I deluding myself here?

3. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Build! Build! Build! :cool:

4. Jelle

Jelle Tele-Meister

Prices are crazy on old Fenders over here. I suggest building a kit form TAD (=Mojo): great quality, educational, easy to repair because you built it and low shipping costs form Germany. Only downside is you have to be able to build it safely (it isn't rocket science).

5. Blue Whale

Blue Whale Banned

Howdy 791979

As you have spotted a broken SFDR and are thinking that way I'd say that you are half way there. I am with you on the idea of getting the old SFDR at a good price and fixing it.

The power transformer is a simple swap in, no fuss if that's all that's wrong.
    http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_46&products_id=106

Buying a doer upper you get all the bits as you would with a kit, a real American pine cabinet, and end up with a nice Fender badged combo, for whatever that's worth i am sure at the end of the day will make you feel good.

Doing the caps, pots, whatever is a doddle and if you upgrade the speakers then you can sell the "real" Fender ones at a premium I am sure.

Anyway I like saving old amps, n'things in general, so go for the old SFDR and make it something special. Would be a nice project.

Building from scratch rather than a kit will allow you to select the parts you want, but then so would restoring the broken SFDR.

You could even stick a black facia on it ...

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?cPath=96_135&products_id=963

#:eek:)

6. 791979

791979 Tele-Meister

If I take the kit route, I'm tempted to get one from Marsh in the US. Even with the weak €, shipping & tax (which often gets overlooked here) I think it will be less than TAD.

7. Bensen

Bensen Tele-Meister

Had this Guy built me a DR-Clone and love it (and it was about 600bucks).
    Heres my review.

Where in EU are you?

Cheers
    Ben

8. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm with Blue Whale on this one. If you buy an SFDR that needs a little bit of work you'll end up with a "real" Deluxe Reverb along with a little bit of the kit building experience to go along with it. Since one of your options was buying from the US and replacing the power transformer for EU voltages it isn't as big of a deal to have a blown original PT (unless it was originally an export model). Assuming that the other major parts are original I would go this route.

As long as you get it at a decent price it should also be a bit of an investment. A quality kit still won't be worth much more than the price of the kit unless you find the right buyer and it really wouldn't have any more mojo than a DRRI unless having a handwired clone means more than having a Fender made PCB.

I'd stick with the SF name plate though. Keep it original in that respect, plus the black plates look a little funky with the SF grill cloth.

9. Blue Whale

Blue Whale Banned

Howdy milocj

I was having a laugh with the "black facia" #:eek:) I know how folks love those BF Fenders, still that's a whole other thread just there.

Anyway, what made me post again was your interesting use of the word "funky"; here and I guess throughout America, to mean unpleasant; where as in Britain it means cool and trendy. Aren't words great.

And I'll say it all again to 791979 ...

When it comes to a usable great sounding amp either a build or a restoration will give it. I would personally go the restoration route if it's available, if only for the investment, and the kudos.

It's a different story if you are wanting an unobtainable amp, for what ever reason be it cost or availability, or wanting a unique amp. However if you're wanting a Deluxe Reverb and there's one to do up then grab it.

10. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hey BW,
    I was just pointing out that the cloths are different which some people may not really notice until after they changed over to a BF faceplate, and a lot of people like to do that.

I always run into some minor word mishaps when I talk to, or email my buddy in Cambridge. I'm catching on to some of the English English :lol:

Funky is kind of multi-use over here. It can mean unpleasant (there is some funky stuff all over the top of that amp), it can mean different or out of place (which is how I meant it), and it can be music (play that funky music white boy). Of course my step-daughter always thought the song was "play that funky music, right boy" when she was little.

I'm definitely with you on going the SF route if it presents itself.

11. Anwar

Anwar Tele-Meister

Heck guys Funky means the same here or there now.....
    It comes from back in the 60's when it meant....well stinky or odd smelling right? Then the term became a + when refered to funky chinese food which many found more interesting than meatloaf (which is actually how non funky people smell) or to marijuana in some circles. It is a term used to describe the odd looking and smelling ethnic introductions they encountered. Late 60's and 70's had influxes of Asian Southeast Asian and African influences along with the players and foods etc into both the U.S, and the U.K. and then came funk music which had interracial players and plenty of marijuana around too. Funky yeah. In this conversation we are talking about guitar amp sounds. Silver Face Fenders were used when Funk was border Pop like with BoDiddley (whom I hear had major Funk from his stinky boots to sandlewood oiled hair to the Jriffs all day. Not to mention his polyrythmic playing which complimented the whole thing...I mean O Funky Tang.

Back then it was like you could bring an elephant on stage and have a breakout of body painting and all was just a diggin it moshpit style.

12. Phaze

Phaze Tele-Holic

13. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If I lived in Europe and amps were so dear I'd by a vintage Deluxe Reverb because it's justifyable as an investment. Or any Deluxe Reverb.

14. 791979

791979 Tele-Meister

Mmm, well that plan didn't work. The bust amp sold for 600 UK pounds (over $900 at today's exchange rate).

I reckon I'm gonna have to import one from the US & change the PT.

I'm now pretty sold on getting an old SF amp now. Before I go off looking, any other recommendations for something similar (Fender, BF'ish tone, 15-30 watts, & reverb. Oh & a trem circuit would be nice too). Maybe there are some other models that are good, but less sought after.

15. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

Is Fenders policy in the U.S. that they don´t sell amplifiers with the export transformers inside the U.S.Anyone in the forum who knows?
    Limbe

16. mickg

mickg Tele-Meister

Well I bought a DRRI and really I bought it cause I loved the sound of it. If I had to mod it to get a sound I liked I would never have bought it. Just my humble I guess

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.