Best rhythm solution for an acoustic duo?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Jupiter, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

I do agree with the premise of starting simply and just adding as it feels right. The last thing you want is something that feels forced and contrived.

The duo I work with that utilizes the most instrumentation and percussion textures is also the one that has been around the longest, about eighteen years now. We started off as two guys with two voices and two guitars, and over time it just grew from there. We just started bringing things and would grab whatever as the mood suggested. A lot of approaches came about spontaneously, and we don't always do tunes the same way. I'd say that 80% of our material contains no additional percussion textures. Most of the tunes are delivered with just two melodic instruments, although not necessarily always two guitars - we use mandolins, banjo, accordion, lap steels, autoharp, harmonicas, and other instruments.

Over the years I've had lots of opportunities to observe and talk with patrons and fans at shows. One thing I find undeniable is the power of "the stomp" - as long as it is sincere and delivered with conviction, it creates a buzz and vibe like nothing else. Its effectiveness is of course dependent upon the tune at hand - we're more likely to launch into a stomp during a Mississippi Fred McDowell number than when we're covering a Big Star tune. Over the years I've seen many of the same faces over and over again; and what I hear from fans the most, as far as what keeps them coming back around, is diversity of material and instrumentation, and vocal harmonies.

In looking over the thread, there are a variety of different approaches represented. And that's good. Every act should figure out what their identity is. No act can be all things to all people. I've long felt that the right way to do this is to pick your target audience and just go after them.

3. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

found us a cajon player ... sounds great

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.