Best Reverb Tank and 3 Prong Power Cord Replacement for 65 DR

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by MXLBRY, Feb 22, 2020.

1. MXLBRY

MXLBRY Tele-Meister

1) Trying to find the best replacement for the original Accutronics tank in my 1965 DR. It works, but it's super noisy and any sudden movement sets the spring off. Can't really gig with that!

I know MOD and Accutronics (now made in South Korea) are "decent" options, but are there any others I should look into? More accurate and vintage sounding, the better. I'd try a NOS tank on eBay too, but I don't want the same issue.

2) What is the best, lightweight 3 prong USA made cable to replace the original cable on the DR?

3) Is there any fix for a minor tear in front grill cloth from what looks like a sound guy accident pushing a mic into the center of the grillcloth where the center of speaker cone is.

Thanks!

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If you can find one a few of the old Hammond organs used a tank compatible with Fenders. Learnt that from a surf guitar forum, those guys are reverb freaks. Trouble is those old Hammonds used a bunch of different circuits and they aren't all the same. You gotta measure the resistance to get an idea what the impedance is. I had one or two of them out of several I was about to throw out, did a Google search to see if I should throw um out.
    But I've never compared them to a new tank.

Have you changed all the electrolytics yet? The bypass caps in the reverb circuit can raise heck with things too.

For 3 prong cords I don't get to carried away. Sometimes I'll just wack one end off a computer cord or an extension cord. Last BFDR I did had a lamp cord from day one so does it really matter?

MXLBRY likes this.
  3. MXLBRY

MXLBRY Tele-Meister

I should just take the amp to an amp tech. I was hoping I can just swap the tank and cord myself (I have basic soldering skills and can swap a power cord). Also, hoping to save some money by doing these fixes myself, but might be worth just getting it checked by a pro.

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

BELTON Accutronics 4AB3CIB or 4AB2C1B are the correct replacement tanks.

-tbln

Bill Moore likes this.
  5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The strain relive on the power cord I'd the one part that can really get an amp messed up. If you have the right tool or are pretty handy it's not bad. But I've seen amps all scratched up from people getting frustrating with them.

Getting any old amp checked out is really a must do in my opinion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.