Best Reverb between $50 - $100?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by StormJH1, Apr 14, 2013.

1. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I have a fair number of pedals, but have never thought about owning a reverb pedal. My Vox Valvetronix has a pretty good reverb built in, but I'm thinking about bypassing it to experiment with some of those Joyo Sound and Tech21 Character pedals, which are their own preamp. When I do that, however, I lose my reverb, which is in the pre-amp.

As such, I'm looking for an affordable reverb pedal, but there really aren't that many! I'm not interested in the Holy Grail - I've read too many people complaining about excess electrical noise, and that seems to be a pattern with Electro-Harmonix stuff.

Leaning strongly towards the Biyang Tri-Reverb "Baby Boom":

[​IMG]

$59.99, a good variety of options, and pretty good build quality, as the reverbs go. Anybody know about this pedal, or could recommend another one close to $50? I'm sure there are some great pedals out there, but this is basically for occasional home use (or as my full-time reverb, if it beats the amp's built in one), so I really don't want to spend a ton of money on it.

Thanks!

2. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I would say that's your best bet...or maybe the Trex Tonebug...but that's 40 bucks more.
    Good luck!

3. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I will take a look at that one. I'm not opposed to going used provided I can still hit that price and it's a decent unit.

Someone has a pretty badly beat-up Tech21 Boost Reverb (Scratched, missing a knob). I'd imagine that sounds pretty good. But the damage to it is a bit concerning.

4. seventyeight

seventyeight Tele-Meister

Maybe try to bag yourself a used TC Electronics Hall of Fame. I've heard good things about the Mooer Shimverb and the Biyang Tri-verb though

5. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Saw a video demo of the TC Hall of Fame a few months ago and LOVED it. Unfortunately, it's still around $115 new, and I don't see better than $90 on the used market.

Arguably, it's an "always on" pedal, so if you were going to "splurge" on an effect, that would be the one. I just think the Biyang could probably do a very nice job for half the price. Good suggestion, though, will consider.

6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

yeah...the Tech 21 is excellent, but I'm wary about condition too.

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

HOF you're paying for a lot of sounds you'll never use.. Samething with the toneprints.. If you just want to sit around making wierd noises go for it. The Triverb is simple and effective, match it up with the Biyang Time Machine and you're golden..

A used BOSS 63 Fender Reverb can be found for $50, that take care of most needs IMO.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you want something remotely springy the biyang is not for you imo. I suppose I am spoiled from owning a deluxe reverb reissue, I could not tolerate that pedal..

9. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

I have an EHX holy grail reverb that I love. ymmv

10. JHall55

JHall55 Tele-Meister

Me too. Another vote for the Holy Grail.

11. seventyeight

seventyeight Tele-Meister

Yeah sure, horses for courses. I like those Boss/Fender pedals myself but they're one-trick ponies that the TC can match easily - Some of the Toneprints are phenomenal. It's not for everyone but it'll cover a lot more different options for the same price as any of the Boss reverbs.

12. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

I have the original one, I have heard the Holier Grail is better, but I've never messed with one.

13. Magnawolf

Magnawolf Tele-Meister

Check out the Marshall Reflector. Goes around $70 bucks or so and it has a lot of different settings.

14. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

I have that Biyang Tri-Reverb. I was just mentioning to someone last week that even though it has a switch labeled "spring" "hall" and "room" it's really just "reverb" "reverb" and "more reverb." The A/B switch has more of an effect: A is really almost too much and B is good.

It is still a good reverb pedal IMO though, and I use it all the time. I just think the switches are misleading.

Also I don't know how those "amp in a box" pedals will work with a Valvetronix amp, which is already kind of an "amps in an amp." Worth a shot though! If it doesn't sound right, think about picking up a cheap solid state amp like a Frontman 25R and just use the clean channel + Joyo/Tech 21 stuff. And actually the Frontman has a pretty good reverb too I think.

15. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

16. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Good advice on the Biyang - I don't think I'm extremely picky about all the different kinds of reverb. I probably will go in that direction unless I see a stupid deal on the TC Hall of Fame.

On the "amp in a box" pedals, you missed what I was doing. You can plug the pedal into the "return" jack for the effects loop, and the digital preamp is bypassed altogether. At that point, you have just the 12AX7 tube power amp and speakers - the preamp is completely provided by the pedal at that point. I've only played around with it a few times (I have the California Sound) since the guys on MyLesPaul told me about it this week. Some Fender amps actually have a thing on the front that says "Power Amp input" or something to that effect. But the Joyo Sound pedals do sound pretty good just going into the Input jack also - it's just that they take on more of the character of whatever modeling the amp is already doing.

The whole reason I started looking for a reverb pedal was because I wanted to have access to reverb if I bypass the preamp on my amp and use one of these preamp pedals.

17. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

That's a good tip I did think about. Those Chinese-made new Marshall pedals are actually an underappreciated value, though I tried the Regenerator (Chorus/modulation) and it didn't work for me for some reason.

I am considerably less picky/knowledgeable about vintage spring reverbs, so this is not a concern :)

This made me laugh out loud. Yes, my wife would totally agree that I sit around for long periods of time "making weird noises" Haha.

I would definitely consider that pedal, but it retails for $139 new, GC has it no lower than $89.99 used, and there are no active bids below $75 + shipping on eBay for it right now. I think it's more in the TC Hall of Fame price range.

18. xtrajerry

OP was looking for a $50 option.. I haven't given up completely on the HOF, it's still on my board but I like simpler options. I don't need a lot of options that I won't use.

19. xtrajerry

If you're not in a hurry monitor the GC website.. Pricing for used pedals is all over he board. I got the 63 Fender pedal for $69, was selling next to the same pedal marked at $79 & $89.

20. xtrajerry

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.