Best replacement Bridge for MIM ?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Brett Fuzz, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Guys,

I have a 2011 MIM Tele.

I'd like to change the stock MIM bridge for a 3 saddle brass & one that will also fit the 'Ashtray' cover.

Any suggestions please ?

2. radio

radio Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I forget if the hole spacing is the same, but I replaced my '92 6-saddle with a Glendale. The website didn't answer my questions, but a 5 minute phone call did. http://www.glendaleguitars.com/glendale16.htm

There are also other, less expensive options, but I have no experience with them as replacements.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Any of the 3 saddle bridges should fit excepting maybe a cheap one pulled off some random off-shore import guitar... So... Fender, Glendale, rutters, Wilkinson, Callaham, hipshot, barden etc

Now some make 3 saddles that fit other things but it should be easy to shop for the vintage style

4. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The BEST bridge for upgrading MIMs is the Wilkinson compensated 3-saddle. Helps with intonation, looks vintagey from 10 feet away, and the price is in line with a MIM. Putting $160 boutique bridge on a MIM doesn't make any sense to me, the Wilky is $30. I use them on all my Teles. They only problem is, I don't know if the ashtray fits on them; I can't for the life of me figure out how I'd play a Tele with an ashtray on it.

Here's a link to GFS, I'm sure there a source for these in Australia, too.

5. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I went with Callaham 3-saddle design and was very pleased.

Attached Files:

6. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

There is no one "best". But there are lots and lots of choices in a 4-screw "vintage" style Tele bridge.

Fender, Kluson, Wilkinson, Barden will all be a direct replacement and will all take an ashtray cover.

7. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

My impression is that the Fender Pat Pend bridge plates are better steel than the Sung-Il Wilkinson ones after recently swapping one for one and keeping the 'Wilkinson' compensated saddles. Best of both worlds.

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

The unbranded import one & the Wilkinson stamped bridge I have in front of me are exactly the same, minus the logo. The import one cost me $12 on the Bay?

9. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

I got a bridge plate on Amazon for $10 with the Fender stamp. Bought the saddles separately for like $12-15 or something? I didn't get the cover though.

One thing I did before swapping was put a piece of tape on the body lined up roughly with the 6-saddles, so that when the 3-saddles were in I could get them positioned roughly where they need to be before putting the strings on. Not really necessary but I just didn't want to be like 1/2 an inch off. I can't remember if I learned that from somebody here or what.

10. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Plain old cheap Fender pat pend bridge plate. Easily available, the real deal. Brass saddles are fine, but I like steel threaded saddles. Add Fender OV pickups. My twang recipe. There are 10,000 - at least - other opinions.

11. stiggs13

stiggs13 NEW MEMBER!

Fender $10 plate and some compensated saddles, there seems to be a silly amount of 100+ bridge plates out there for those who can't seem to spend enough money on their guitars.

12. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

Yep get a regular Fender plate and Fender brass comp saddles for another $15 at darrenriley.com.. The Fender stainless saddles are cool but the metals cheap and after a year mine had all kinds of nicks in em and added a really nasty metallic overtone to the guitar. I had no clue where that extra ping was coming from til I changed em a month ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.