Best Recorded '52 Black Guard Tele Tone

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Texicaster, Jun 3, 2019.

1. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

I guess it‘s a fefinished 1954:

And this is pretty interesting too:

Texicaster likes this.
  2. RIPROY

RIPROY TDPRI Member

Thanks for that video!... To be honest I've never heard of him or heard him play... I must be getting old! :) I think it is fabulous, in the right hands, a Telecaster can give a Gibson L5 a run for the money! Played through what appears to be a tweed Champ as well!

Scary, Julian looks almost like my son-in-law... I had to look twice to be sure it wasn't! The genius of Leo Fender was that he created two guitars most guitarists today can't be without... A Telecaster and a Stratocaster. Both guitars have something the other doesn't... Talk about about marketing genius as well!

3. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Just a couple of thoughts. Roy Buchanan's "Nancy" (the '53) had a pickup that allegedly had a shorted coil with no bass response so not a typical Tele sound. Keef's "Macaber" has a lap steel pickup so again not a typical sound.

4. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Listen to B.B> King's early studio work = Telecaster...just saying, you might not have seen them, but they were used especially in the Studio - along with Deluxe Reverb Amps. Two of the best kept secrets EVER in electric music's early years in all genres.

5. RIPROY

RIPROY TDPRI Member

I (and a friend who possibly wishes to remain anonymous, and who actually examined "Nancy's" wiring) believe a mistake (or intentional) in wiring (probably not factory origin) caused the lack of normal bass response in the bridge pickup from the beginning. For awhile the bridge pickup had no resistance, but still functioned. If that be the case, I rather think the coil would have an open circuit and somehow functioned inductively. But how an open coil with no resistance would function inductively is suspect to me. I would sooner think the break in resistance measurement lies elsewhere in the circuit, possibly where one of the leadwires is soldered to the fiberboard eyelet.

More minutia... If you listen closely to recordings made by Roy with "Nancy" you will hear him using the neck pickup in the middle position (no dark .1 MF cap) and switch (one click) to the bridge which is announced quite microphonically. 1953 was the first high-gear production year and my guess is the pickups were not being wax-potted to their full saturation in a rush which also adds to the higher frequency in tone of many '53's.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ironically, most of those sounds could be produced by any electric guitar.

As an aside, I'm surprised anyone actually likes the tone of Roy Buchanan based on what is posted here. From a broken pickup/bad wiring apparently?

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Don Mare would know.

I don't know about most of those sounds being produced by any electric guitar. Maybe the neck pickup is more on the common side, the brass cover versions being woofier, but that middle position and especially bridge position sound Unmistakably Tele to me.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In the linked video I was commenting on? Most of it seemed to be neck or middle and very generic electric guitar.

9. Funk In A

Funk In A TDPRI Member

I don’t believe in blanket statements because part of the charm about old guitars including black guards is that they are all unique and different because they were made one at a time by a craftsman and not 400 at a time by a c&c machine. I’ve owned several and still have one. My recommendation and the best way to answer this question is go experience as many of them that you can. Play them all and you may find one you can’t live without.

And yes, when I don’t take my real one to gig, my gig guitars have Don Mares. Well worth the price and wait.

Texicaster likes this.
  10. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

And this underrated model has some things which both a Telecaster and a Stratocaster have... as well as other nifty appointments... IMG_20010119_071613.jpg such as hum-free alnico pickups, plus a 4-way switch, and separate bass and treble controls.

blueruins likes this.
  11. psychobilly451

psychobilly451 TDPRI Member

That is amazing! That is now a tone goal. I will have to keep playing my CV VB tele through my blues jr for now.

12. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Difficult depending on the genre you're listening to. Early Johnny Cash was a Blackguard. I think Joe Pass spent some time with a tele. Les Paul was top of charts with his LP.

Lots of the country/swing guys were early Tele slingers.

I can usually hear more of the 'tone' on some of the early country recordings as there's no distortion or effects modding the tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.