Best rattle can amber?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by blackbelt308, Mar 9, 2010.

1. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

For the amber component of a sunburst finish. I think I'm basically asking between Stew-Mac ColorTone tinted lacquer and Reranch Burst Amber.

Thanks!
    Rick

2. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

I guess Behlen's Starcast Amber is another option. Anybody?!

Thanks,
    Rick

3. 62_Inca_Esquire

62_Inca_Esquire Tele-Afflicted

Depends on the look you want.

Starcast Amber will be a brighter yellow-orange color.

Reranch Tinted Clear can range from "barely yellow" to "deep amber" depending on how you apply it and how many coats you use.

Reranch Neck Amber is yet another option. Gives a nice yellow-brown color.

I haven't used the Stew-Mac stuff.

Also look into Mohawk tints, toners, and colors.

4. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

I found Behlens Star Burst and ReRanch Butterscotch to be almost identical.

I ended up using Behlens because it's cheaper and I can get it locally. I found it can get "red" if laid on too thick (so does ReRanch) so make sure you lightly mist from a distance of about 2 feet.

5. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

Thanks guys. This is what I'm aiming for:

[​IMG]

(IIRC, this one is a Kirn masterpiece!)

I've used RR Tinted Clear and have been very happy with it for finishing maple necks (I know not to go crazy with it!). I've got a pair of builds in the grain filling stage, one Tele and one Strat, and I want to nail a nice vintage amber color on both (will subsequently add a transparent brown burst to the Strat). I'm sure that any of the above options are workable (including using my favorite amber dye recipe), but just wanted to pick a few brains about it.

Thanks,
    Rick

6. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

ReRanch Butterscotch and Star Amber would be too dark if that is the Amber you are trying to match.

I think Reranch's Neck Amber would be the best match to that.

Here is Star Amber, sprayed very, very lightly:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/2262392-post187.html

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I would encourage you to not "mess" with rattle cans.... it's just too hard and expensive to "back up" if you get/rent a small spray rig, buy a gallon of lacquer and a shot or two of red, orange, Brown and yellow dyes, you can mix your own, and make it a color that looks real...

Plus you learn how to do it... do a few of your buddies necks at a few bux a shot...and everything is paid for...

Ron Kirn

8. 62_Inca_Esquire

62_Inca_Esquire Tele-Afflicted

This is great advice if you plan on doing more than a couple projects. A reasonably good spray rig will cost a few hundred dollars, but it will be easier to get pro results. Of course a lot also depends on your living situation. If you're in an apartment a spray rig wouldn't be very useful, but if you have a house ... :D

Regardless of whether you go "spray rig" or "rattle can", always remember one thing :

Do the prep work, and do it well. Don't short cut prep work, no matter how much of a PITA it seems like.

9. Ronkirn

One of the problems with the rattle can approach is you only have one color tint to work with.. you can put it on thin. or make it darker by adding multiple coats.

What you cannot do is alter the color. Not all Maple necks are the same color, some are darn near white, others near red like Alder.

On Some shades of the wood, if you just blast away with a rattle can you get an orange tint, others will give you a greenish yellow, and yet others a brownish tint, when the shade of the lacquer comes into play with the natural color of the wood. Thus ya just watchit close and examine in real sunlight..

rk

10. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

Gentlemen,

This is all great advice and I appreciate you all weighing in. I stopped by the local Woodcraft store this afternoon, grabbed a can of Starcast amber, and did a comparison of it with RR Tinted clear, my amber dye mix, and an amber shellac mix (from flakes). bossaholic, you're right: the Starcast is much too orange. The other three are all pretty similar, and it looks like dye + lacquer might be the way to go for what I want to do. The dye mix is 1:50 TransTint vintage amber plus a few drops each of cherry red and tobacco brown. Great for necks too!

Ron, I hear ya on the spray rig! Perhaps someday, but likely this summer I'll press ahead on a small number of builds with rattle cans, wood dyes and clear nitro.

Thanks!
    Rick

11. Ronkirn

I was thinking about it this evening... If I had to do it on a bargain and with no spray equipment........I'd get a can of amber shellac. http://www.woodcraft.com/Search/Search.aspx?query=Shellac . . by it's self it would be too dark... but you can thin it with denatured alcohol, then wipe it on.... repeating the coats until you have a color you could live with..... then a light steel wool.. 'bout 0000 (four oh) then clear coat with plain clear lacquer.... Yeah, you can squirt lacquer over shellac...

Done right, that means after several tests on scrap lumber) you could easily reproduce the kinda "splotchy" amber seen on real vintage guitars...

rk

12. ckroenlein

ckroenlein Tele-Holic

Check these guys out.
    http://www.ohiovalleynitro.com/fender-custom-colors.html

They sent me some to compare to my hand mix stuff and I have to say that it is a nice shade. As any, you have to go slow. I grabbed an old neck that I use for testing colors on and I thought it looked great. They are great guys to deal with as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.