Best 'plexi'-sounding Marshall under $400?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by scout2112, Dec 9, 2019.

1. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I've got a few other amps, but nothing that really scratches that Marshall itch, tonewise. Looking for a used smallish combo or head/cab that can nail that vintage 'plexi' sound.

*edit* - sorry I meant to put this in the amp section.

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Lots of used Origin heads and combos are coming out of the woodwork for pretty cheap. Both 20watt combos and heads I've seen <$400. That's probably about as close as plexi as one can get at that size and price.

scelestus and capt pearl like this.
  3. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

Not a Marshall, but if you can find a Peavey Windsor, those are very plexi like and usually around $300 used. I used one as my go to head for years.

Carcinogen likes this.
  4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I dunno if the origin is plexi like, but i played one and have not been able to shake it since. IMO just a killer quintessential marshall tone. I'd have one but for a few reasons unrelated to the amp's tone or other quality, mainly a very poor financial state. I may eventually tho because they are the first modern marshall i have played that nailed the sound in my head.

cgtrman likes this.
  5. Bark

Bark TDPRI Member

In my opinion part of the Marshal sound is a 4-twelve speaker cab. I like those cabs even with the volume turned down.

6. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Strymon Iridium :)

7. cgtrman

cgtrman TDPRI Member

I have the 50w Origin head and its got such a great Marshall on the edge of breakup clean tone! Great as a pedal platform!

8. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

upload_2019-12-14_22-44-5.png

9. Carcinogen

Carcinogen TDPRI Member

Seconded. Peavey builds underrated tanks and the only Marshall you’ll get for 400 or under is gonna be an MG series which only ever seem to work if you slap them and get outpaced by Crate.

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

11. fender4life

Yeah, but u know what is odd....i played one about 6 months ago. It was the 20w combo with a 10". Then yesterday i was at GC and plugged into another 20w combo and i swear there was a very considerable difference in gain. The first one seemed to have enough gain that i could use it as is with the gain boost on and use a clean boost for high gain. The one i played yesterday was much cleaner even with the gain boost on. I gotta think it was either a weak tube in the one i just played or the supplier changed and they have lower gain 12ax7s in em now. Maybe i'm spacing but now i feel that with the one i just played it would have to be a pedal platform or t might be too clean for my purposes. That said however, it was the 20w and i suppose at stage volume it might have enough OD for me. Or use 2 clean boosts....1 on all the time just to get the drive to where i want it and a second for hi gain. Still a beautiful tone tho in any case. But i'm quite happy with my mustang GT so unless i see a stupid deal on a used one someday i'll probably never own one.

12. cgtrman

cgtrman TDPRI Member

The Gain pot is push-pull and it can be foot switchable too so perhaps it was one of those issues where you weren't aware of the footswitch being enabled/disabled or the Gain pot was IN on one and OUT on the other. IMO you are much better off viewing the Origin line as a great pedal platform instead of trying to get some crunch out of it. When you get gain from pedals instead of the amp, you have infinite flexibility on matching the best pedal and can always switch in and out multiple pedals.

BTW, I just got the DV MArk Eric Gales Raw Dawg and at gig levels it sounds very similar to the Origin 50W (Origin set clean). You can get a 15% coupon from GC or MF now and get it well under $400. My review is on this site here: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/eric-gales-dv-mark-raw-dawg-signature-amplifier-head.823174/page-2

13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

you sure about that ? 3203 is great amp. was palying the clean side today at volume..pick attack..dynamics..chime..OD...plexi like..very much so 3203b.jpg

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Second hand Marshall Vintage Modern combo.

The crunch channel on a DSL40 is really great too.

15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Just looking at the Marshall tube combo's that go for less than $500, what about a DSL40, or a MHZ40? JTM30? JCM600? MA50? TSL602? Any of those coax out a plexi sound?

16. dotfret

dotfret TDPRI Member

A couple of people I know have bought Monoprice amps and found them to be within your defined parameters. Since I am not in the US, I am unable to check this out - but the evidence suggests this is worth mentioning.

17. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Steer clear of the JTM60 and JCM600. They mount the EL34s horizontal. Not good for reliability. The JTM30 has 5881s - can be reset for EL34s but a bit finicky.

Most of the others - sorta Plexi but depends how close you need to be..

Origin 20 def gets that mini Plexi vibe.

18. fender4life

Well, the funny thing is that yes, i WAS unaware of it. But not the other day ! In other words, the other day when i tried a origin 20 for the 2nd time i DID remember to try the pull boost and the 1st time i tried a origin 20 i did NOT think to pull the boost. Yet it was the other day with the boost pulled that the amp seemed to have considerably less OD than the first one i tried where i never pulled the boost. Crazy.
    As to the DV, neither that or the origin will work for me because i need more drive from the amp than either will deliver. I'm not into pedals at all except for a single clean boost to drive the amp harder for hi gain. I'd still like to have an origin just for a clean amp at home because i just like it so much. But i can't afford luxuries anymore and i need a amp that gives me enough gain for anything but really high gain for playing out, which i have.

cgtrman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.